Thread: bear in camp

Default bear in camp

It was brought up in another thread i was reading, so i figured i would share my bear in camp experience.

i took a fly in brown bear hunt out of nikiski with alaska west air (pilot was doug, i cant remember his last name but he is the owner). my dad and i were on a 7 day drop off hunt for brown bear. one of the first questions my dad ask, (my dad being from texas) what are the chances of having a bear in camp? doug said not to worry the bears never come into camp. sure enough the first day of the hunt after a long day of looking for brown bear, we get back to camp and the tent is in peices, the food tent knocked down and a bear eating the food. i shoot the bear with my 300 wsm and he drops to the ground (5'5 black bear, boar). we pick everything up and reorganize (on the other end of the landing strip and lots of duct tape later) then go back to skin, quater, and de-bone him. after all that we call it a night. when we wake up the next morning, a brown bear has came into camp and ate all the meat and drugg the carcase off. the only thing i was able to salvage was the hide (guess the brown bear didnt care about it). what a hunt

anyone else have any good bear in camp experiences?

texhunter

Default bearS in camp

Great story, do you have pictures?

Default Loose a hunting partner

Does your dad hunt with you anymore?

Thumbs up bear baiting

Is this a classic textbook case of "legal" bear baiting, or what? Great memory. Did you ever see the brownie again? Ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

about the time we got to kenai (from fairbanks) we had both forgot our digital cameras, so we stoped and got some disposable cameras. i have pictures, but no scanner to be able to get them on the computer. wish i could show yall the pics, the are pretty funny.

Place brown bear hide in the rafters of the meat shed one nice, woke up next day and hide gone. Hide was over 7 and 1/2 feet from the ground but spread out. What took it who knows, made for interesting time at ADF&G. Whatever did leave the skull which was hanging about 5 feet from the ground.

Then years after I lost a nice black bear hide to a river, all my fault there, with the help of a sweeper/strainer,

Quote Originally Posted by texhunter View Post
    about the time we got to kenai (from fairbanks) we had both forgot our digital cameras, so we stoped and got some disposable cameras. i have pictures, but no scanner to be able to get them on the computer. wish i could show yall the pics, the are pretty funny.
    take them to wallmart, they can put them on a disk for you.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Default I've learned

Had a black bear destroy about $1,000 worth of sheep base camp last year, so this spring I took a bear fence out to heavily-laden bear country. First hunting night I shot a black bear coming into camp to test the fancy contraption that was between him and a great looking tent. He didn't make it to the fence because he ran into a 430 grain .45-70 slug. I actually wanted to see what the fence would do to him, but he was there, I was there, (in my undies) and I was hunting bear so "What the heck".

This year, on my sheep hunt, I'm taking a bear hunter who will stay in camp and shoot us a bear!

Taylor

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    ....This year, on my sheep hunt, I'm taking a bear hunter who will stay in camp and shoot us a bear!
    That's a smart bear prevention policy, there!