Thread: Light weight SNOW MACHINES........Current or Rekcent production.....???

Default Light weight SNOW MACHINES........Current or Rekcent production.....???

What are some lightweight snow machines........in current or recent production...???

I bought my 2005 Scandic for two reasons. One the weight, I think about 430 pounds and two because the National Guard had just bought some and the parts schematics were online with Alaska Mining and Diving. My new 2017 Scandic wide track I am never going to lift up out of the snow. My testicular fortitude just isn't happy with that weight. The old Brovo's are about the lightest I have ridden.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What are some lightweight snow machines........in current or recent production...???
    Well I am not sure there are anymore light weight snowmachines if you can find one under 400 pounds you would be doing good, as far as a older one I would think the Skidoo Elan with the 250 engine would be a good example.

After spending about 2 hours digging my 2008 Arctic Cat M8 out of the snow, I would say that the almost 500 lbs beast is not light weight. But that just may be my sore back speaking. Looking at current models, they are about 50-70 lbs heavier. Following this post...

Quote Originally Posted by Hkrjohn View Post
    After spending about 2 hours digging my 2008 Arctic Cat M8 out of the snow, I would say that the almost 500 lbs beast is not light weight. But that just may be my sore back speaking. Looking at current models, they are about 50-70 lbs heavier. Following this post...
    And to think some of these machines weigh in at well over 600 pounds dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkrjohn View Post

We are running a WT and a SWT V-800 TANK (about 800 pounds empty) This winter we had five snows of 4" or 5" of very dry sugar type snow, then on top of that we got 34" of heavy wet snow all in one dump. Now that we are in our 70's y/o........we are not enjoying the heavy lifting. I think that over the 50 years I have owned seven Ski-Doo "TUNDRAS".........wish I still had just one, even one of the No-Reverse TUNDRAS.

AGL: After this last weekend getting stuck 3 times with heavy machines, I understand your missing the Tundra's. I got rid of 2 Tundra R's to get newer more comfortable sleds, and I am kicking myself for not keeping one. They were sure tippy, but you could actually move them and lift the ends. I can't say enough about the Warn 1700 portable winch with attachment strap to use at any point on the sled (or ATV). It has been worth its weight in gold! I am looking at the sno-jack as well for the occasional need.

I know a guy who reconditions and builds Tundra's if you want his contact info.

Tundras, tundra11s, ski doo freestyle, Polaris Indy lite, Yamaha Bravo, all older sleds but smaller and lighter.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Polaris, arctic cat or Skido 120, not much in the deep snow but light enough I can put it in the back of the truck by myself.

It's hard to find dry weight published anywhere on new sleds. Not even the reviewers like to put it out there. But I'm pretty sure the new Yamaha/Arctic Cat 200's are around 300lbs, maybe 350.

You have been to my place....I just need to get up the driveway to the cabin, that is all I need. I don't recreational Snow Machine any more. UPS drops supplies at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    AGL: After this last weekend getting stuck 3 times with heavy machines, I understand your missing the Tundra's. I got rid of 2 Tundra R's to get newer more comfortable sleds, and I am kicking myself for not keeping one. They were sure tippy, but you could actually move them and lift the ends. I can't say enough about the Warn 1700 portable winch with attachment strap to use at any point on the sled (or ATV). It has been worth its weight in gold! I am looking at the sno-jack as well for the occasional need.

I know a guy who reconditions and builds Tundra's if you want his contact info.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Itís not hard to find weights on sleds. Just look it up on the spec sheets. Your kids size sleds are lighter but they donít have much power. Mountain sleds are coming in the low 400ís these days depending on what models.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    Itís not hard to find weights on sleds. Just look it up on the spec sheets. Your kids size sleds are lighter but they donít have much power. Mountain sleds are coming in the low 400ís these days depending on what models.
    So if they are in the low 400 once you put gas, oil and have some snow stuck on the suspension now you are most lick lye well over 500 not so light anymore. Maybe a small track rig like a imp or something like that I know that is a ways off from a snowmachine but you are warm inside and they hardy ever get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    You have been to my place....I just need to get up the driveway to the cabin, that is all I need. I don't recreational Snow Machine any more. UPS drops supplies at the bottom.
    For that, I would think a little Tundra or Bravo would be pretty sweet. I can get in touch with 'Tundra Jim' to see if he has any in the works, and there is a really nice looking Bravo on Alaskas list, 1990 Tundra on Ak List, and a 1994 Tundra on Craigslist..

Akbee I have a 94í tundra. Whose this tundra jim fellow?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Akbee I have a 94í tundra. Whose this tundra jim fellow?
    He is a jet engine mechanic who loves to restore old Tundra's. He sometimes gets salvaged ones and rebuilds them for sale and loves tinkering on them. I bought 2 from him and he was simply awesome to deal with for buying them and then when I had a small mechanical issue I couldn't sort out- he came by my house to fix it. He also arranged to sell my two machines. Really great guy to deal with. He has parts for dang near anything and I think he could make a rock run. Lives in the Valley.

'Tundra' Jim 907-232-0115

Thank you much, I jotted his number down!
    Master guide 212

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/snw...554219913.html Here you go,right in your neck of the woods. These elan's were light as they come
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

I grew up on one of those. Slightly newer model though. Loved that little thing
    Master guide 212