Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question about ski skins

No matter what you do you will get stuck at some point in time, an the wide ski skins will help in the soft snow , to float the front end some , with the weight of the big sleds it helps the have a jack with you at all times , SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    No matter what you do you will get stuck at some point in time, an the wide ski skins will help in the soft snow , to float the front end some , with the weight of the big sleds it helps the have a jack with you at all times , SID
    We just had about 3 feet of snow followed by some rain and a bit more snow. The trail conditions were horrible and I busted through to the bottom while trying to go up a hill pulling a laden sled- however the skins performed great and I was able to float over places I could not have without them.

to get unstuck you need a jack to lift the track up so you can put sticks under it , an old car jack works for me , the part that goes under the bumper of car has to be reworked to fit the back end of your sled , this worked real well for me when alone an at the end of the day,
    car / auto jack ? it was from the 1950 to 1975 time frame not the type used to day , they called them BUMPER JACKS then

it was from the 1950 to 1975 time frame not the type used to day , they called them BUMPER JACKS then
    Man you just aged yourself! Include myself in that, I have not seen one in years.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Lol- was just watching a movie about Hoffa and they were using a bumper jack. Hi- lift jack is same principle but heavier and now they make lightweight jacks for snogos.

Sid- I appreciate the advice and will pack an extra hi-lifter jack with wheel hooks (easier to grab racks) in my cargo sled when I go back in this week. Hopefully I won’t need it! I was looking online at the snowjacks- $325 ..... I think for sport riders cutting weight with no space it makes a lot of sense, but I can carry extra gear where I go so a bit more weight is fine. Y’all ride safe!

Could you cut two poles, lash them together and us a 5 part pulley to lift a sled? Mine will lift 1500 pounds.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Could you cut two poles, lash them together and us a 5 part pulley to lift a sled? Mine will lift 1500 pounds.
    I haven't thought about that but it is a good idea if I was really sunk and needed to just lift- especially since I carry rescue gear. I would appreciate knowing how you arrange the poles (and sizes) because I would have thought a tripod. I was reading on another forum that folks were modifying smaller sized bumper jacks like Sid mentioned as they are lighter than standard. They recommended the VW/Porsche ones from the 60's and 70's.

It is funny reading about the snow specific hi-lift jacks in that they are supposed to lift the sled high enough to be pushed over onto a higher spot. Something I would never have considered doing with something I have used a high lift jack for previously.

Hopefully we will get some decent snow this next week!

Y'all stay safe and have a great Christmas.

lots of things will work but the old stile bumper jack worked for me ,an it was easy to pack on mt sled , when I traveled in the back country it was worth its weight in '' GOLD "" to me if you have a lot of people you might not need a JACK , a friend turned me on to it ,

lots of things will work but the old stile bumper jack worked for me ,an it was easy to pack on mt sled , when I traveled in the back country it was worth its weight in '' GOLD "" to me if you have a lot of people you might not need a JACK , a friend turned me on to it ,
    i appreciate the advice. I ride solo or with my wife so having gear to help out is needed.

I ride alone too. So i installed a2500 lb. winch on mine.

Patriot Life Member NRA

I ride alone too. So i installed a2500 lb. winch on mine.
    yes sir- understood. I have a Warn 1700 lb portable that I have used 3 times (goes with me on every trip). Also carry come-along with 100’ rope under the seat. Gotta be prepared for most things being solo- especially where not many people go.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I haven't thought about that but it is a good idea if I was really sunk and needed to just lift- especially since I carry rescue gear. I would appreciate knowing how you arrange the poles (and sizes) because I would have thought a tripod.
    I haven't had to do it yet but it was a thought. I just might try it with the lack of snow we have since I can't run anyways. I'd think tow 2-3" alder poles would do it. Might as well try now before I really do get it stuck. I think much depends on the snow. If it's 4-5 foot deep I thin that it is best to have 4-5 friends help.

Patriot Life Member NRA

I haven't had to do it yet but it was a thought. I just might try it with the lack of snow we have since I can't run anyways. I'd think tow 2-3" alder poles would do it. Might as well try now before I really do get it stuck. I think much depends on the snow. If it's 4-5 foot deep I thin that it is best to have 4-5 friends help.
    Getting really stuck is never in a good spot either! The last time I used the winch I was on a rising ridge and the snow was very deep- sank both ends. Get off the sled and sink up to my waist. It is hard to try to rig up anything when you can't walk, and trying to get close enough to the sled to shovel and hook up straps wearing big snow shoes is not fun either! LOL (funny now- not then). There was nothing in front or back to hook to, and the sides were fairly steep, so I used the trees to the right side to winch over the ass end enough to reverse my direction. That winch has seriously saved my butt. BTW those collapsible shovels with the spring buttons are convenient, but when the spring button breaks and falls into the tube it is not much better than a plate. I know you can use snow shoes to shovel, but not well once the snow is hard. Good luck with trying it out in advance and I hope you never need the winch.

I know what you mean. Back when I bought my first machine I was ptarmigan hunting. Shot a couple in the willows and drove over to retrieve them as soon as I hit the willows the bottom fell out and I was 3 feet below the above snow line. Wasn't fun.

Patriot Life Member NRA

wenches are great if you have a place to hook it , don't get me wrong I had ""come-a-long's also, with lots of rope as I see it a little bit is great, but lots is better as you are on your own ,

wenches are great if you have a place to hook it , don't get me wrong I had ""come-a-long's also, with lots of rope as I see it a little bit is great, but lots is better as you are on your own ,
    i couldn’t agree more!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12