Thread: Deshka Landing and up Yentna - first time

Default Deshka Landing and up Yentna - first time

Hi All,

Looking at making a run from Deshka Landing to our cabin at Lake Creek this week. I've flown the Yentna many times, but this will be my first trip by snowmachine. There will be 3 of us, good survival gear, etc.

Looks to be 60+ river miles going down the Big Su and then up the Yentna. I'm figuring around 4 hours travel time. Does that sound like it's in the ballpark? Depending on making good time, we plan to stop at Yentna Station for lunch.

I'd appreciate any advice or pointers from folks who have done the trip.

Thanks!

Sounds about right on the time - maybe a bit long. We go to my brother's cabin which is just upriver from Yentna Station, and that is usually an hour and a half to two hours depending on the state of the trail, daylight, and what we're hauling. There's not a lot to it - the trail is generally well marked and well traveled.

Thanks, Brian. Appreciate the info!

Kent

From Deshka landing to Yentna station is 32 miles. We just did the poker run this past weekend. But we took the GCI trail, get ahold of DupontSpinner here on the forums, thatís who we road with this weekend. He knows that river very well. The trail is very rough but they got snow yesterday so that will help..

My cabin is just above Lake Creek your time is about right maybe a little longer because your having lunch at Yetna station it takes me about 3 to 3.5 hours depending on the trail and we just take about a 15 minute break at scary tree
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Thanks Skybust and 323. Appreciate the help. Looking at tomorrow, weather permitting.

One place that mentally threw me off was the side channel just downstream of the Deshka. The trail veers left onto a side channel and follows that for almost five miles before coming back out onto the main stem of the Susitna. It's a much smoother route, but the first time I made that ride by myself I was concerned I had made a wrong turn. Just an FYI. Also, expect the trail on the Yentna to be a fair bit smoother than the Susitna.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    One place that mentally threw me off was the side channel just downstream of the Deshka. The trail veers left onto a side channel and follows that for almost five miles before coming back out onto the main stem of the Susitna. It's a much smoother route, but the first time I made that ride by myself I was concerned I had made a wrong turn. Just an FYI. Also, expect the trail on the Yentna to be a fair bit smoother than the Susitna.
    Thatís the way we took heck I think everybody does.. then you hang another left go up
    the bank travel cross country then you pop out in the yetna thatís the GCI trail. Was told thatís a better trail for new riders.

GCI Trail is much better than just going to scary tree then up the Yetna
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I almost always take GCI trail...It gets off the main river and allows you to play a bit off trail. Being that it's a bit less traveled it also tends to be a bit smoother. Also I like taking newbies that way...then I don't have to group watch as hard. GCI trail also many times gets you away from the fog on the river and pretty hard to lose your direction once on the trail. Now if you do miss the turn up the embankment and continue down that slue, you are going to find a few open water spots. Check the water depth or find a way around. The bottom in some of areas of this slue are a bit soft/muddy.

The trail is well marked out of Deshka. I did only see one open river spot and that was just below Luce's sandbar. There are spots of overflow starting to show. One very large spot was at Fish Wheel but the trail was made to go around but a few fast movers went straight thru it, of course. Overall an easy trip. You have any questions shoot me a message and I will get you my phone number so we can talk direct. This is my 20th year of riding that way and this time of the year it tends to be some of the best riding in state, especially beyond Lake Creek or some of the larger off river swamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Just an FYI. Also, expect the trail on the Yentna to be a fair bit smoother than the Susitna.

It's not unless we get some more snow and a bit of wind for mother nature to groom the trails for us. The last new snow we got was great in the morning going out...coming back last Saturday with foggy conditions kept us in tight to the trail markers and a bumpy ride back. The new snow got mostly pushed out of the bumps when it warmed up during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Akcub49 View Post
    Thanks Skybust and 323. Appreciate the help. Looking at tomorrow, weather permitting.
    What time you heading out? I can maybe talk myself into a mid week trip if not going out to much before noon. I have to get a few deliveries made in the morning but can be out and rolling by 10 or 11.

Weather always permitting in the winter time....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    What time you heading out? I can maybe talk myself into a mid week trip if not going out to much before noon. I have to get a few deliveries made in the morning but can be out and rolling by 10 or 11.

Weather always permitting in the winter time....lol
    rub it in our faces to us working stiffs

Sorry all who replied - I was away from the computer all afternoon. We are shooting to leave Anchorage at 8, so will probably actually leave at 9. So at Deshka 1030 or 1100. Hope to be on the river by noon.

I've heard of the GCI trail but not sure how to find it.

Dupont, I'll send you a message and maybe we can talk tomorrow morning. Would love to have company, but it's pretty short notice. At least I could get a bit more info.

Thanks to everyone who took time to respond. Much appreciated!

Dupont, I tried to message you, but got a notice saying I don't have that permission.

Anyway, I sent you an email through the system. Hopefully we can get together by phone.

Thanks again -

Kent

Sorry I missed ya....hope you had a good trip.

I see that I can't send you a message here nor do you have an email listed. Your mail didn't come thru to me. We will get together soon. I can give you a bunch of good pointers. Dan and Jean at Yetena Station are a wealth of information and very good to call if you have any questions on conditions.