Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: My very first snow machine

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    387

    Default My very first snow machine

    Not sure why this photo wants to upload upside down but no matter what I have tried it still does. Anyway my first snowmachine was a brand new SnoJet maybe a 67 or 68 anyway if you have pictures of your first snow machine let us see it I think it will be fun to go down memory lane, this picture was taken in Eagle River



    image.jpg

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    My first sled was a 2011 Polaris shift iq 600 with a 136 track, bought it new sept-oct 2010.. will say it was not the right sled for what I was doing. Ie riding in the mtns it was not a mtn sled. With that thing you learned real quick run it wide open when not on a trail. Trenching with it was not unusual. It was the biggest mistake I made buying that sled, took the salesman word that this was the sled for me. These days I have 2013 m8 and 2016 bearcat with Yamaha 4 stroke triple.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    My first sled was a 2011 Polaris shift iq 600 with a 136 track, bought it new sept-oct 2010.. will say it was not the right sled for what I was doing. Ie riding in the mtns it was not a mtn sled. With that thing you learned real quick run it wide open when not on a trail. Trenching with it was not unusual. It was the biggest mistake I made buying that sled, took the salesman word that this was the sled for me. These days I have 2013 m8 and 2016 bearcat with Yamaha 4 stroke triple.
    Yea I think we have all heard the sales department say this is the perfect machine for you LOL I once purchased a maybe a 71 SnowJet, I ran the Talkeetna to Anchorage race on the first day the seat disintegrated so on the second day I bungeed two pillows to the machine to sit on, boy have snowmachine seats come along way.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    I did a lot of reading when I bought that bearcat the m8 no thinking involved I knew thatís what I needed. The bearcat the hardest part about the decision was 2 stroke 570 or 4 stroke. I went 4 stroke..

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I did a lot of reading when I bought that bearcat the m8 no thinking involved I knew thatís what I needed. The bearcat the hardest part about the decision was 2 stroke 570 or 4 stroke. I went 4 stroke..
    I have never heard anything bad about the Yamaha 4S engine, I do know for a fact that the bearcat gave me the best ride I have ever had on a snowmachine, I would think the two combined would make a great machine.

  6. #6
    Member akaviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    272

    Default Yamaha SL-351

    I was 8 years old when my Dad brought one of these babies home. It was love at first sight


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexander Creek
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    71 AMFSki Daddler.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akaviator View Post
    I was 8 years old when my Dad brought one of these babies home. It was love at first sight

    my back, knees, hurt just looking at the picture

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    I have never heard anything bad about the Yamaha 4S engine, I do know for a fact that the bearcat gave me the best ride I have ever had on a snowmachine, I would think the two combined would make a great machine.
    Im curious to see what Arctic Cat is going to do. I was told they are dropping the 570 motor from the bearcat lineup. I hope they drop the 600 ctec in it. If they do I might just go buy another bearcat.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    Well looks like itís under the Norseman lineup. Only two bearcats in the lineup now..

  11. #11
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,933

    Default

    My first machine was a used Arctic Cat Panther, tippy and contrary, but I took it out a lot for ptarmigan hunting and ice fishing. My first new machine was a 1982 Yamaha Bravo. Attachment 95510

  12. #12
    Member SusitnaAk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ANCHORAGE
    Posts
    828

    Default

    1965 Johnson Skee Horse, Like this http://www.amsnow.com/reviews/vintag...nson-skeehorse
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    that is one kool old machine, makes my old SnoJet look somewhat refined, LOL

  14. #14
    Member SusitnaAk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ANCHORAGE
    Posts
    828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    that is one kool old machine, makes my old SnoJet look somewhat refined, LOL
    Ha, It was Refined, compared to the Sno-Traveler, of the early 60's I was reading the spec,s said 2-3 passengers,Us kids would pile on , 3-4 of us and pull the rest of crowd with there inter tubes and toboggans . Eas-a-Matic pull start {my ass} , we had this 10ft rope u wrapped around the pulley and it would take 2-3 of us running to get that thing started, that was a mean 14hp engine LOL. All of my newer machine's today don't even have a pull start.
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Growing up in Nebraska, I donít have any cool old stories about snow machines. Mines a 2008 Arctic Cat M8. Itís still a beast that this old man hasnít tamed completely.

  16. #16
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,351

    Default

    1970 Scorpion Stinger 400. Most of my friends rode Sno-Jets and Chapparals. You could always tell when you were following the track of a Sno-Jet.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    1970 Scorpion Stinger 400. Most of my friends rode Sno-Jets and Chapparals. You could always tell when you were following the track of a Sno-Jet.
    That Scorpion was a super sport machine is I remember right, my old SnowJet had a single cyc hearth engine (spelling) rated at 19 HP.

  18. #18

    Default

    1968 Arctic Cat Cougar. 292cc 14 hp JLO engine. Had boggie wheels and a 17 inch track. Was stable as a rock and turned when you told it to unlike the 1969 Ski-Doo Olympic 12/3 behind it. The Cougar broke cleats all the time. It was tuff. I would put 2 friends on it behind me and go drift busting. Also pulled logs out of the woods with it to make firewood. One time engine was making some bad noise. Drove it home. Every ball in the crankshaft clutch side bearing was gone.
    .
    ken7.jpgken21.jpg

  19. #19

    Default

    Another shot of 1968 arctic Cat Cougar. Supposedly only 600 made.
    68 AC Cougar.jpg

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •