Thread: Stupid question: best time of day for freshwater fishing

Default Stupid question: best time of day for freshwater fishing

Okay I'm slowly but surely figuring this out... I think I have the right bait and spinners and I actually caught a decent rainbow last weekend. But I noticed my GPS has a feature for "best times of day" for fishing... is this based on sunrises and sunsets? Does this apply to freshwater fishing or just ocean? What's the science behind this? I'm thinking of heading out again this sunday, maybe I should aim for early morning?

Hands down early morning is more productive. When I go out for silvers I am on the water by 4am many times. Fishing is usually considerably better than after 10am.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Morning is usually best. but if you have cloud cover some time it will extend farther. I am not realy sure why but the sun seem to have some thing to do with it. I have been fishing and catching lots of fish then the sun hits the water and the salmon just stop biting.
    Doesn't seem to affect trout as much.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Hands down early morning is more productive. When I go out for silvers I am on the water by 4am many times. Fishing is usually considerably better than after 10am.
    I agree. Especially for larger species. Fish have a day/night rhythm regardless of what the sun or length of day is doing ...and fishing in the morning means they've been unharrassed for more hours before you got there. I read something once that said Mondays and Tuesdays are typically better than other days ...I figured Wednesday/Thursday since they've had more time off (maybe), but the article I read said Monday/Tuesday.

Brian

Default Smart as s answer

When the fish are biting.....

I actually use solunar tables or an almanac of sorts.

The GPS I currently use (Magellan Marine) has a solunar almanac built into it as a feature and shows "Excellent" and "Good" AM & PM periods of fish and game activity. Of course out here in Aleutian Hell, I also have to consider tides for saltwater fishing.

It also shows Moon phase and Sun and Moon rise & set times for the GPS coordinates you are at or you can enter a location and get the information there also. There is generally no more than a minute's difference between where I live and the areas I travel to nearby on the AKPEN or islands to hunt, fish or trap.

My experience has shown that the productive times are pretty much within 30 minutes on either end of the posted times.
    Now what ?