Thread: salmon patties

Default salmon patties

Care to share your favorite salmon patty recipes? I'm sure there are lots of them, and that they are real easy to make. I've only done it twice, but both times they just had a sort of dense, heavy texture to them. Maybe I'm just making them too large, like a big hamburger patty.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

What recipe? I doubt that I've ever made them the same way twice. They're just "stuff" around our house.

"What's for dinner?"

"Stuff."

Finely dice some onion, celery, parsley, and garlic to taste. Add a little oil. Crumble some Ritz, saltines, or even Pilot Bread. Not too fine. Mix with canned salmon intil incorporated. Add an egg or two depending on the amount you've got in the bowl. Add salt and pepper and mix until the egg is distributed. I use my hands because I don't want to turn the crackers to dust and it grosses my kid out. Good fun. Form patties and saute/fry in butter or olive oil until cooked. Don't use high heat. The veggies need some time to sweat and you don't want the crust to turn to charcoal. Sprinkle with Tobasco.....yummie. Especially with a cup of tomato soup and a nibble of sharp cheese on the side.

I think Potato Buds could replace the crackers. Maybe tomorrow night?

Wifey says to tell you that leftover rice makes really good filler in lieu of the crackers. She's right. Your patties won't be dense with rice. She uses anything that's in the fridge. Spinach, chard, zucchini. No rules.

Default salmon 'stuff'

I guess I'll give it a try! Although, I have to say, I'm afraid of some of that leftover 'stuff' I find in the fridge...and I don't think using my hands to mix it will gross out my daughter - she's only 3 - in fact, I'm sure she'll yell "I want to help!" Maybe I'll let her, and as a team we can gross out my wife! I like the rice idea.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Ok say you have a fresh salmon fillet. How would you go about cooking the meat before you mix it into the mystery blend?

Default patties

Like Mr P, I never make mine the same way twice and I basically put exactly the same stuff in (whatever as long as egg and crackers).

Gremlin, a nice fresh fillet shouldn't be turned into patties yet But if it's a dry fish like pink, then I cook however is easiest to clean up after--on tin foil in the broiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Ok say you have a fresh salmon fillet. How would you go about cooking the meat before you mix it into the mystery blend?
    If you cook small portions, microwaving works really well. You preserve the juice that way too, and can incorporate that into the mix.

Default Zataran's

I tried the Zataran's Tuna Cake mix with some leftover salmon last weekend. Turned out great and a very easy way to make salmon patties.

jeff

Default with a Greek twist

I basically do what Mr Pid does. Works very well.

The variation that I really liked was throwing in some chopped olives and crumbled feta cheese in. And use some of the oil that the olives come in for the oil that you add to the mix. I am partial to green olives, so that's what I use. Either the standard pimento stuffed ones in the jar or the ones from the new olive bar @ Fred's. Very yummy!