Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handguns & Bears

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Grab the popcorn.......its going to be a long and contentious thread. And at the end there shall be no agreement.

Well, I liked the one about the bear charged and a lion jumped over the fence. Where' a tiger when you need one? He could of had a trifecta!

I do know God,luck and my little NAA 22mag saved my butt and no blood drawn.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I do know God,luck and my little NAA 22mag saved my butt and no blood drawn.
    I have a good friend that was checking his trapline one spring a couple years ago. He approached the log that the trap was behind when a griz lunged at him from behind the log! Startled to say the least, he pulled out his trapline gun, a 22 pistol, emptied it into the bear. He realized then that the bear was caught in his trap! He jumped on his snowmachine, went back to his cabin, grabbed his 44, went back to the bear and it was dead, bled out. He called the local Trooper and reported the DLP (Defense of Life or Property) and they delt with it. True story. I'd not however suggest a 22 as a bear gun! The trap saved his bacon or the bear would have been on him.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Worst that can happen is the bear wins which he would do all the time if you had nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by play2mefish View Post
    Well, I liked the one about the bear charged and a lion jumped over the fence. Where' a tiger when you need one? He could of had a trifecta!
    Yeah, I would like to know more about this ordeal as well. Did some honyock leave the cage doors open at the zoo?? I know that if I saw a lion and a bear in my backyard at the same time I'd be wondering what mother dearest dumped in my soda pop!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Amigo Will:
    Thanks for posting that.

I've known, or thought I knew, that Handguns have been used successfully in bear defense situations, lotsa times.

My confidence has been bolstered, particularly in the use of smaller caliber, less powerful cartridges.

Can it be, that anything less that than the most powerful cartridge, with the hottest load, with the shortest barrel, is suicide?

I've agreed with BB when he says that the best choice is the one you can shoot well.

I note, that Bear Spray didn't show too well in the instances mentioned.

I note that most of the sited examples, occurred in places other than the Greatland.

I note that the bear victims were seemingly just your average Joes, with average abilities.

Anyway, for some reason, perhaps just because I'm a gun nut, I find this kinda research particularly interesting. I'd like to see similar with the use of Shootguns, and Buckshot and Slugs.

Thanks Again
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default German Lugers rule

Looks like I will buying a Luger pistol in 9mm for my next Grizzly hunt. I figure the artillery version gives you a few more feet per second. What could possibly go wrong with that.
    Live long and prosper!
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    Looks like I will buying a Luger pistol in 9mm for my next Grizzly hunt. I figure the artillery version gives you a few more feet per second. What could possibly go wrong with that.
    Live long and prosper!
    What them Bars Dinna wuncha tew know. A flick o the wrist and a bar is brought low.

frum DOUBLE TAP

Caliber : 9mm+P

Bullet : Montana Gold Full Metal Jacket Flat Point

Ballistics : 147gr @ 1135fps / 421ft. lbs. from a G17.
    Glock 19 velocity - 1120fps. Box of 20rds

This is the deepest penetrating load ever offered in 9mm! This is THE load for the woods in 9mm.

Snyd, your 454 is sooo, Passe.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

Smitty of the North
    I know. That's why I have a 500 Linebaugh. Oh, and a 22 derringer for backup
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I feel better carrying my Hi Power now with three thirteen round mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    What them Bars Dinna wuncha tew know. A flick o the wrist and a bar is brought low.

frum DOUBLE TAP

Caliber : 9mm+P

Bullet : Montana Gold Full Metal Jacket Flat Point

Ballistics : 147gr @ 1135fps / 421ft. lbs. from a G17.
    Glock 19 velocity - 1120fps. Box of 20rds

This is the deepest penetrating load ever offered in 9mm! This is THE load for the woods in 9mm.

Smitty of the North
    Thanks, I will be gettin' some of them hot loads for my not yet purchased Luger. Always suspected that my M-1 Carbine was too much gun for my upcoming Peninsula Brown Bear hunt.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Had a woman (very small stature) tell me years ago that the best bear defense weapon is a .25 Auto pistol. My jaw hit the floor. She said, "Yup, it's light, low recoil...and one round in my hiking companion's knee and I can trot away no worries."
    Don't want no one to get hurt, but if yore gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Quote Originally Posted by calm seas View Post
    Had a woman (very small stature) tell me years ago that the best bear defense weapon is a .25 Auto pistol. My jaw hit the floor. She said, "Yup, it's light, low recoil...and one round in my hiking companion's knee and I can trot away no worries."
    Don't hike with that bad women.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I feel better carrying my Hi Power now with three thirteen round mags.
    And 45 ACP with 14 rnd mags.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

That joke is older than firearms themselves.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

The M=1 carbine power is only needed when going for groups of bears.

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/ref/collection/cdmg21/id/99

If she shot me in the knee I'd forget all about shooting the bear..... That gosh dern Eve fouled the whole thing up for ever!

The M=1 carbine power is only needed when going for groups of bears.

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/ref/collection/cdmg21/id/99
    I bet that dude is a Viet Nam vet.....heck a fire 2 bears ain't nothin compared to a jacked up passel of VC with a SKSes!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast