Thread: Looking for packable canoe

Default Looking for packable canoe

Hi,

I am planning a trip for up to 10 guys to the Wood River Lakes area in Wood Tikchik State Park for late June of 2019. Due to the size of the lakes, we are looking to buy used, but in good condition, used packable canoes that can be carried in a float plane. Some examples include the Ally canoe and Pakboat canoes. We need them to be 16'-18' in length. Not sure yet how many we need. We are hoping to get them reasonably priced. My son-in-law lives in Wasilla and can look at anything in the Anchorage and Valley areas. If you have something for us to consider, photos help. You can contact me by replying to this or by email. Thank you in advance.

If we are not able to purchase sufficient canoes, we may consider renting. I am also looking for anyone able and willing to rent these canoes.

March thru October, Kenai Peninsula Alaska. I'm laid off and winter in Northern MN.

How many packable canoes are you looking for?
    I have an Ally 15.5 flat water canoe, it is acually 16 feet long, I love it. Finding Ally's can be tough, I looked all over and eventually ended buying a display model form Western Canoe and Kayak out of BC, Canada.
    I believe there ar at least three outfitters that will rent canoes and fly them and you into Woodtik Chik Sp out of Dillingham.
    Don't go any later than June because I think they get pretty busy in July catering to fly in fisherman.
    Sorry can't spare my Ally, I retired from Ak and my canoe is in MN now.

Ask them about rafts also, I can't remember if rafts are a an option for the Wood RIver.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flyi...e=UTF-8&inm=vs
    May the rivers be crooked and winding, and the portages lonesome, leading to the most "Amazing View".

I have a 16 foot long mad river pack canoe. Pakcanoe make them for mad river for a number of years. It is identical to the pakcanoe 16. Its in decent shape. I used mine on eklutna lake and on a hunting trip on a tributary of the nelchina. I will sell mine for $700. Just pm me.
    here is a pic
    Last edited by mcnejs; 03-07-2018 at 20:17. Reason: adding apic

IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpgHere is when I used it on Eklutna Lake

mcnejs, I am interested in your pakcanoe. I donít know how to contact you. I live in Minnesota, but have a sil living in Wasilla who can look it over and take a few pics for me. My email is: alaskadiyguy@yahoo.com

When you contact me, I can make arrangements for him to come see it.
    Thanks,
    Rich

you may want to reconsider canoes. this is a big system with more lake crossings than river floats. rafts with motors and ten guys, maybe three rafts vs. 5 canoes ? pm me before you spend money that cant be recouped ? i spent 23 days in this system one september, i would not want to do it in a canoe. kulik to aleknagik is a long azz ways in a canoe. just say-in ??

interested in this.... maybe packrafts instead of a canoe? Packrafts are usually just for one person, and moreso for floating in moving water than paddling still water.... but definitely packable. They fold down really small. Would be expensive to buy one for every guy, but can be rented too...

If I was you, I'd look at inflatable kaboat or inflatable boats that can use an outboard. Some of those lakes are over 20 miles long. I haven't been to fifth lake yet, only been up to second lake, but am planning a trip this summer to fifth lake and work my way down to 1st lake. I happen to live in Dillingham at the moment and I'd like to enjoy this trip before our move this summer.

A kaboat can take on 3 people and all you'd need is a small outboard (2.5 would be fine though slow).

I have the Aire inflatable canoe that is great.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Iím a little confused. Iíve heard advice both ways. Some advice is to go with a canoe as it cuts through the wind better and there are 2 paddlers. We are all very familiar with canoes with many years of experience. Others advise to use rafts, which we have no experience with. Weíre not interested in using outboards on either style of boat. The idea of hearing motors has no appeal. If we were to use rafts, we would want two or three per raft, not solos. To date we have not purchased anything as we are exploring options. I have a sil living in Wasilla who can check out any boats in the Valley or Anchorage areas. He will take pictures and send them to us with his recommendations. At this point we are inclined more to canoes and appreciate the advice shared here. Thanks!

I am planning this trip for "one of these days" as well, but was planning on using a Folbot, folding Kayak. I don't want to use a motor and paddling a raft through that system would be, in my humble opinion, a nightmare. Folbots track truer than a canoe, they cut the wind WAY better that a canoe, you stay drier, but it's a personal preference thing for me, I'm sure canoeing would be awesome too. If you look closely in the Downloadable park brochure the boat on the shore by the tent is, I believe, a red Folbot "Greenland II". Sadly Folbot went under a few years ago but they can be had on e-bay. They also had a "downwind sail" option and they are often found with those. I believe that the German company, Klepper, still makes the Aeries. We're planning to spend this summer training in the Adirondacks, where you can find a number of 20 mile lakes. As for the "long azz way" comment... if you have plenty of time, it's not so bad!

I have a Pak-canoe 170. It acts very much like a medium volume 17 foot "hard" canoe and is rated for 910 pounds which seems just a little optimistic as do the ratings of most hard shell canoes. If you are going to a place where you would use a canoe these folding canoes are just as capable with the added advantage of being flexible and slippery enough to slither over obstacles nicely. As a solo boat the unweighted ends tend to flex up giving them a good ability to go through "holes" in white water. The boat is fairly fast and good in the wind especially with a spray deck. They sell and rent the similar Ally canoe here in Whitehorse.

I think the Ally 16.5í is the way to go for wilderness traveling. You get too flexible going longer, canít haul enough going shorter. Two per 16.5 and gear is perfect for longer trips. Prepare to have wind/wx days and you will be fine in (the right) canoes.