Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

Have a CZ 375 H&H, wood stock, blue steel. Shoots very well right now. Have a spring (wet) Brown bear hunt coming and I'm trying to decide best priorities to prepare the gun. On a budget of course. I don't know if I should get a fiberglass drop in stock for about $450 so I don't have to worry about wet wood, or should I spend same amount to have the metal done in cerakote to prevent rust and keep the wood stock. I was thinking about having the wood stock glass bedded but it already shoots accurate and that doesn't waterproof it. A local smith told me that this Alaskan hunt is about the only time he'd recommend against a wood stock. He suggests a McMillan, then cerakote the metal. Also, bedding the action into the McMillan adds about 200. I didn't think I'd need to bed it in the McMillan if I ordered their drop in unit. Can any of you that have sat in the rain for 10 days hunting give me advise on what your priorites would be for the gun? Thank you.

Anchorage, Ak

i would not worry too much about the wood. my gun gets soaked all day long every weekend on my moose hunts and i just wipe it off before bed and let it air out in my tent or truck when i dont want to pitch a tent. i would not do anything to the gun unless you want to. just bring a small can of rem oil and a rage and your gun should be fine unless your hunting around saltwater which is a different story. my 2 cents.

I concur with akpride, bring some oil and wipe it down at night. My 338 that I hunt with is a standard blued on wood and I've never had a problem with rust or accuracy, even after a week in the rain. How many centuries did men hunt without stainless steel or fiberglass? I would suggest that you make sure to put the electrical tape over the barrel to help keep water out.

Go to Polar Wire and get a bottle of corrossion-x(sp) it works great, I use it for everything it stops rust.

Thanks much.

stewarts brook,scone, new south wales, australia

Default What would you do?

What I would do, is keep the rifle exactly as it is, you have a fine firearm, it is a safari model with a hog back stock,yes. Just do what the other members have suggested, you cannot go wrong, a lot is put on hunting enviroments unessacesarily, so it rains: wipe the rifle down at days end, run a patch thru the barrel, and there you have it, put tape on the end of the barrel and keep it there, I have a small can of moisture dissplacement spray that I use 'spray on wipe off ' you could also seal the inside of the stock with scandinavian oil. Do not: under any circumstances: put a plastic stock on that rifle, it is fine the way it is, and besides you will turn it into a 'kicking machine' been there done that:it is good for the spirit to sit in and live in the rain for a week or two, and then it gets cold, you have a great hunt and I wish you success, do not worry about the rifle it is fine: get that bear::

Arrow Weatherproofing blue steel and wood

Dad lived and hunted in Alaska for 22 years with this old 700 Remington he bought down here in 1962 when the 7 mag first appeared the most he ever did was to take the barreled action out of the stock and coat the wood and the blue steel with plain old Johnsons floor wax the old paste kind that comes in a can like auto wax he NEVER had a problem.When he got through in the evening back at camp he would wipe it down with a rag and that's it.That old rifle is now mine I have a good friend who is a genius when it comes to refinishing guns since the blue just showed normal wear I left it alone but that old stock was pretty beat up but sound as a dollar so I had him refinish it and you wouldn't believe the pretty wood under that old remington shiny finish he removed all the dents dings and scratches and refinished it with EMRON thats a automotive finish that completely seals the wood and you can finish it either shiny are anything in between I hate shiny so it is a low luster satin that looks great and doesn't reflect light I had him go ahead and glass bed the action and float the barrel that didn't effect accuracy one bit it always shot MOA are better with my loads anyway that was a just in case move on my part.It's a rifle that will stay in the family as I have a son and two grandsons that have already laid claim to it don't know how they will split it three ways but hopefully it will be a while before they have to worry about that.I still use the old rifle when I know I will be hunting where a long shot will be likely and it is still as good as it ever was.I sure went the long way around around to tell you you don't have to spend that $450 for a different stock unless you just want to.Good hunting Ronnie

Bighorn Mountains, Wy.

This comes up all the time, but up until the 1990's there weren't many ss/plastic guns and everyone hunted and made out just fine.

Of course given a choice it would be SS/Syn all the way, but as you said this is the only hunt like this and for that you will do well to bed and seal the stock well and use the wonder oil of your choice on the metal. The dings and rust it gets will bring back a flood of memories for the rest of your life.

Default shoot it

Make sure the wood is sealed in side and go hunting. Wipe the metal every day with your favorite rust stopper. If the finish gets ruined over time then get it coated. I have been hunting up here for a long time and have only went the stainless and synthetic route on one rifle. I use that rifle a lot but my heart belongs to rust blue and walnut!

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default I would..

definitely have the gun bedded before the hunt. Beyond that just keep it oiled and you should have no problems. Just a note, I've been waiting on a McMillan stock now for over 16 weeks so unless your getting a used one or factory second don't count on having it for a while.

I agree with Akpride & Chris, wipe it down & air it out. But when I say wipe it down I mean put some effort into it and wipe everything down meticulously and you should not have any problems.