Thread: Caribou decoy?

Thumbs up Caribou decoy?

Hi. Newbie poster, but not a first time reader my buddy and I are plannng to float, fish and bowhunt the NWT for caribou this fall, seems that caribou are often moving out in open and tough to sneak , and/or there isn't much natural cover to stalk them. Montana decoys used to sell a caribou decoy but no longer.. if you have one laying around I'd like to buy it! thanks for any info/advice.
    -Doug

I have a caribou decoy, donít remember who made it. Where are you located?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kubs View Post
    I have a caribou decoy, donít remember who made it. Where are you located?
    awesome! it's probably the one that Montanadecoy used to make -- a quartering away to the right, head down kinda look?
    I'm in Portland Oregon but we're going to fly out of Kotzbue. I'll pay you to ship it there if that's ok with you? And i'll ship it back to you after our hunt (which I hope to be even more successful with the help of your decoy!)

Tie your underwear to a stick and wave it like a flag..

seriously? does that work? boxers or briefs? lol. I've heard they are inquisitive creatures and not as easily spooked as my more common quarry.
    I'm open to any and all suggestions. from what i've gathered most guys get em with lead. we're bringing a 270 but we really want to arrow one or 2...

That might be doable. PM me when you have enough posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dougisnow View Post
    awesome! it's probably the one that Montanadecoy used to make -- a quartering away to the right, head down kinda look?
    I'm in Portland Oregon but we're going to fly out of Kotzbue. I'll pay you to ship it there if that's ok with you? And i'll ship it back to you after our hunt (which I hope to be even more successful with the help of your decoy!)

Make a folding decoy out of cardboard. I wouldnít hunt behind something like that though unless remote and no chance of some idiot shooting me. Caribou arenít the smartest of creatures.

thanks Kubs. any idea how many posts before can PM?

Just lay down flat, put your hat over the muzzle of your rifle, and wave it slowly a couple of times. Wait a bit and do it again. You can ALWAYS call one to within 100 yards - - - or closer. Caribou are notoriously curious.

Wait a second, you're hunting NWT- North West Territory but flying from Portland to Kotz to NWT? There are more direct routes to get there and much cheaper..

Supporting Member

Hi, Im also a Newb to posting, been lurking for awhile.
    Check out "Stalker Decoy" by Ultimate Predator. They weigh 10oz, deploy quickly, attach to your bow, big enough to hide behind, and very realistic looking. I own the Moose, MT Goat, Mule deer (closest match for Blacktail). I've only used the Mule Deer so far, and easily get within 20 yards of Blacktail on Kodiak. I was chatting with the owner this January, and he told me the Caribou would be in production soon. Not sure when, but I'll be buying one fresh off the line. Perhaps if we all email Ultimate Predator about the Caribou decoy, they will give it some priority.
    Matt

Yeah it works. Caribou are not the smartest critters, as long as you are in front of them and they cant smell you they will walk right by. I have had them trot right up to us while waiving a white flag. They are curious animals. Well unless you are hunting them in unit 13 where they get shot at every day from different angles, those caribou are a bit smarter and will leave the country when they see you.

hey Kubs are you set up to receive pms and/or email? im trying to reach you via both but it isnt giving me an option for either...and it does for other users.. plz let me know thx i want to buymor borrow your deek...

sorry Sam i meant nw alaska. units 23 and maybe 26...not nwt canada, eh

hi Matt, thx for that info...those look good.. I'm also looking at www.poisonarrowgear.com
    have you checked them out? even lighter and lower profile. If I order their caribou "rump" i will let u know how it performs...