Thread: Boots: Schnees or Kenetrek

Default Boots: Schnees or Kenetrek

Seeking advice from the knowledgeable folks. In the market for a new pair of winter hiking boots: This means hiking boots large enough to put some good thick socks on my paddle feet and that in turn means either Schnees or Kenetreks (all of which means I run at size 14.5 or 15 U.S.)

Thoughts on Schnees vs. Kenetrek in a hiking / mountain boot?
    Back in AK

Have used Schnee's for years. Used them for caribou, moose and sheep with excellent results. Now using Meindle's mostly because had a new ankle replacement. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdb3 View Post
    Have used Schnee's for years. Used them for caribou, moose and sheep with excellent results. Now using Meindle's mostly because had a new ankle replacement. Jim
    Thanks.

I had a pair of Meindls for quite a few years....more or less bombproof until a in-field situation (don't ask) resulted in them being submerged for several hours. That was the beginning of the end and now they don't make a mountain boot in the size I need.

Appreciate the info on Schnees.
    Back in AK

I really like my schnee's but wish I got them half size bigger (my fault, not theirs), I haven't tried any others

I have used both brands. I started with kennetreks mountain extremes and absolutely loved them. They fit me perfectly. After those were wore out I wanted to compare them to the schnees granites to see which was better. The granites are a great boot so far. I had to return them for a larger size shortly after I got them. The customer service was great and they had me a larger boot right away. Overall the kennetreks get my final vote based on fit.

Do either make a model that aren't so stiff? I fly in my hikers sometimes and I can't feel the peddles in a stiff boot. I end up kicking them off and going barefoot. Burrr.....

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Do either make a model that aren't so stiff? I fly in my hikers sometimes and I can't feel the peddles in a stiff boot. I end up kicking them off and going barefoot. Burrr.....
    The reason people want those kinds of boots are BECAUSE of the stiffness/rigidity which usually makes for better ankle support on a goat or sheep hunt. Mountaineering type boots are altogether different. To fly in you might consider a pair of regular hunting boots say by Danner or the like?

And to the op, I wouldn't count out Lowa or Asolo either before I made my decision......coming from a guy that has owned
    Meindls and still has a pair of near new
    Kennetreks. I absolutely love the Asolos I have now.

You might want to go to Sportsman's or whoever and try on for fitment, then think about going online to Sierra Trading Post to see if you can find a good deal there. More often than not they may not have your size, but if you keep looking around and happen to find something you like that is in your size, then you really can't beat their prices. Lots of good boots to choose from.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    the reason people want those kinds of boots are because of the stiffness/rigidity which usually makes for better ankle support on a goat or sheep hunt. Mountaineering type boots are altogether different. To fly in you might consider a pair of regular hunting boots say by danner or the like?

And to the op, i wouldn't count out lowa or asolo either before i made my decision......coming from a guy that has owned
    meindls and still has a pair of near new
    kennetreks. I absolutely love the asolos i have now.

You might want to go to sportsman's or whoever and try on for fitment, then think about going online to sierra trading post to see if you can find a good deal there. More often than not they may not have your size, but if you keep looking around and happen to find something you like that is in your size, then you really can't beat their prices. Lots of good boots to choose from.
    good to know. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The reason people want those kinds of boots are BECAUSE of the stiffness/rigidity which usually makes for better ankle support on a goat or sheep hunt. Mountaineering type boots are altogether different. To fly in you might consider a pair of regular hunting boots say by Danner or the like?

And to the op, I wouldn't count out Lowa or Asolo either before I made my decision......coming from a guy that has owned
    Meindls and still has a pair of near new
    Kennetreks. I absolutely love the Asolos I have now.

You might want to go to Sportsman's or whoever and try on for fitment, then think about going online to Sierra Trading Post to see if you can find a good deal there. More often than not they may not have your size, but if you keep looking around and happen to find something you like that is in your size, then you really can't beat their prices. Lots of good boots to choose from.

Thanks to all for the info and comments.

At times in the past, I've owned (and had good success with) Lowas, Asolos, and Meindls. For my winter hiking needs, unfortunately, I need something that runs up to a 15.....the EU 48's just don't cut it; hence the focus on Schnees and Kenetreks.
    Back in AK

When I was talking about Schnee's I was referring to the pack boots. Worn them for over 20 years all over Alaska, they have worked wonderfully and you can resole them too. Jim