Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Sometimes I wonder if we should have nominations for Slowest Gunsmith

  1. #1
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Sometimes I wonder if we should have nominations for Slowest Gunsmith

    The other day I was sitting in " another Brother from here's " truck up in Kenai talking about old Winchesters and it reminded me of how many years one of my rifles has been sitting at a certain shop just south of Kenai.
    So long that I darn near forgot that I owned the rifle and all of the associated parts.
    It is almost as if we should have nominations for the slowest gunsmith.
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

  2. #2
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,324

    Default

    Slowest gunsmith, slowest taxidermist, slowest contractor, etc...

    I think I'd be paying a visit to the guy with your gun and see if he even has it anymore. Then if he does, and it's in your hands again, walk out the door with it...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Slowest gunsmith, slowest taxidermist, slowest contractor, etc...

    I think I'd be paying a visit to the guy with your gun and see if he even has it anymore. Then if he does, and it's in your hands again, walk out the door with it...
    Slow doesn't bother me (there is a limit) as long as I get quality service.

    BTW, my statement is a general one since I've never used any of those services in Kenai

  4. #4
    Member bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,668

    Default

    Try Hallco gunsmithing in Wasilla, he gets the work done in a timely fashion and very reasonable to boot.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

  5. #5
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,528

    Default

    I dropped the rifle off the day that Redoubt erupted. Which I now realize was in 2009. After six months I started to hear the old " Probably next weekend " story, every time I was around Kenai. A couple years later I asked for all the parts and he could not find them right then and said he would make progress. Eventually the parts were chambered and blued, but there was some sort of hang up on another issue. I went there every couple of months and have probably bought 8 other guns while checking on the darn thing. Then eventually I moved on to so many other projects that I basically forgot to worry about it any further.
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I dropped the rifle off the day that Redoubt erupted. Which I now realize was in 2009. After six months I started to hear the old " Probably next weekend " story, every time I was around Kenai. A couple years later I asked for all the parts and he could not find them right then and said he would make progress. Eventually the parts were chambered and blued, but there was some sort of hang up on another issue. I went there every couple of months and have probably bought 8 other guns while checking on the darn thing. Then eventually I moved on to so many other projects that I basically forgot to worry about it any further.

    WOW, he owes you a NEW gun along with the one he's had for the past 19 years!!! Can you PM who it is?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I dropped the rifle off the day that Redoubt erupted. Which I now realize was in 2009. After six months I started to hear the old " Probably next weekend " story, every time I was around Kenai. A couple years later I asked for all the parts and he could not find them right then and said he would make progress. Eventually the parts were chambered and blued, but there was some sort of hang up on another issue. I went there every couple of months and have probably bought 8 other guns while checking on the darn thing. Then eventually I moved on to so many other projects that I basically forgot to worry about it any further.
    We had a gunsmith in Iowa like that. He would get defensive and mean if you questioned him to many times about YOUR gun that He had. He pulled that crap on one two many times and on the wrong guy. I don't think his top teeth line up with his bottom teeth to this day. The guy took his unfixed gun home with him that day as well. Ole Butch was young Butch back then and the smith should have known better.

  8. #8
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,528

    Default

    Chez, only 9 years.

    I have always suspected that he buggered something up and the best way to avoid dealing with it is avoiding everything.
    Float-CFI, Photo Guide, Fishing Guide, Remote Kayaking
    Guest Cabin, Flight Reviews, Aerial Tours

  9. #9
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Chez, only 9 years.

    I have always suspected that he buggered something up and the best way to avoid dealing with it is avoiding everything.
    Probably, but even if he did mess up the gun he still needs to make it right one way or another. There's absolutely no reason for that kind of BS...!!! Maybe you should pm all of us here on the Kenai and we could go pay a visit to his shop and kinda nonchalantly mention...."Oh hey, did you ever manage to get ol' (your name's) gun fixed? Maybe if he finds out that enough people know about this it might light the preverbal fire under his ass to do something for you...??? Do you know if you still even have the paperwork on the thing?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  10. #10
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    Slow doesn't bother me (there is a limit) as long as I get quality service.

    BTW, my statement is a general one since I've never used any of those services in Kenai
    For some odd reason I seem to run into businesses that can't even seem to return a call sometimes. I often have to stop and think to myself, are these people doing such a great business that they can't even take a minute to return a phone call to a potential customer? Seems to happen more and more these days....which in this day in age (the internet) you'd think everybody would want as much business they could get? Guess that's not the case, and to tell you the truth I don't know how half of them stay in business.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    For some odd reason I seem to run into businesses that can't even seem to return a call sometimes. I often have to stop and think to myself, are these people doing such a great business that they can't even take a minute to return a phone call to a potential customer? Seems to happen more and more these days....which in this day in age (the internet) you'd think everybody would want as much business they could get? Guess that's not the case, and to tell you the truth I don't know how half of them stay in business.....
    You are 100% right, of course.

    I think that many times we develope a sort of relationship or trust, with a gunsmith. We talk to him about guns, our gun, the work, etc. He's the answer man. The knower of many things, the authority. AND, can be a nice guy.

    Soo, when he doesn't live up to our expectations, it's hard. We're reluctant to make waves.

    We need more Butches. And a few less Gunsmith Fans, But it won't change. That's our nature.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  12. #12
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    WOW, he owes you a NEW gun along with the one he's had for the past 19 years!!! Can you PM who it is?
    Pretty sure I know exactly who it is as he has a reputation of taking an insane amount of time to complete anything.
    Definitely don't take it to him if you plan to use that gun in the next year or three and that's if he is in a hurry.
    I am assuming this particular shop used to be located just a little farther south than its current location?

  13. #13

    Default

    Years ago I dropped a rifle off there to have the barrel shortened, was told a couple of weeks. About 4 months later I asked for it back and have not taken any more work in there.

    A few months back I had Gahms Guns straighten some sights that the other guy had put on crooked. I think the other guy is burnt out and has been trying to sell out for a few years and go to his cabin in Kodiak. I wish him well, just done taking guns in there.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •