Thread: Polaris Voyageur 550/155”

Default Polaris Voyageur 550/155”

Looking for some feedback from current owners of the 550 155” sled. I currently have a BC 570XT and this sled seems to be a lot more nimble, fun, and LIGHTER! I’m a hunter and trapper. Ill pull a sled loaded with gear, but would like to be able to fun ride as well. I’ve been researching the sleds I’m interested in. I like the new Polaris Titan, but I could nearly buy 2 Voyageurs for the price the the Titan Adventure.

Thoughts from current owners? How does it perform for new riders? My wife really likes this machine too. Might have to buy a pair...

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Looking for some feedback from current owners of the 550 155” sled. I currently have a BC 570XT and this sled seems to be a lot more nimble, fun, and LIGHTER! I’m a hunter and trapper. Ill pull a sled loaded with gear, but would like to be able to fun ride as well. I’ve been researching the sleds I’m interested in. I like the new Polaris Titan, but I could nearly buy 2 Voyageurs for the price the the Titan Adventure.

Thoughts from current owners? How does it perform for new riders? My wife really likes this machine too. Might have to buy a pair...

not sure about that model, but the 550 engine was at least in the past plagued with problems, Google would be your friend just google Polarise 550 engine problems, I am sure other people will chim in mabe the newer 550's are no longer problems just my two cents.

I have a 2016 155" , upgraded from the 144 and am very happy with it. It does way better in the deep snow with the extra track track length and super wide skis. Not sure about the engine problem comment, haven't heard anything bad about them...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    not sure about that model, but the 550 engine was at least in the past plagued with problems, Google would be your friend just google Polarise 550 engine problems, I am sure other people will chim in mabe the newer 550's are no longer problems just my two cents.
    That was back when the 550s first came out early 2000s I believe. Not heard of much with the new 550s other than they are thirsty like all the other fan cooled 2 strokes
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Those voyagers are a slick looking sled! I had a 2011 Polaris with a 550 and that little motor never gave us any problems.. the price point on them is great I think $7200 was what I was quoted. How much more for one with the 600 2stroke? That titan is one sweet sled too but $14000 plus was not going to happen.,

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    That was back when the 550s first came out early 2000s I believe. Not heard of much with the new 550s other than they are thirsty like all the other fan cooled 2 strokes
    That is good to hear that they have found the problem and corrected it, mine was a 2001with a 550 in it and the top end melted down just as many others had done.

I have only ridden with two Voyageurs (both were 2011s), and I had to pull both of them home since the motor grenaded in under 2k miles. I have a Skidoo Expedition sport - very comparable machine. River Sea and Marine in Soldotna got me into the 4-stroke ACE motor for under $8000.... just an option.

Quote Originally Posted by xcrnr View Post
    I have only ridden with two Voyageurs (both were 2011s), and I had to pull both of them home since the motor grenaded in under 2k miles. I have a Skidoo Expedition sport - very comparable machine. River Sea and Marine in Soldotna got me into the 4-stroke ACE motor for under $8000.... just an option.
    Take it FWIW: I've got two 2018 Indy Adventure LT's (comparable in major respects to the Voyageur). Both 550 engines, maybe 800 miles total between them (purchased in November). Great so far; one had a chaincase issue right out of the gate, but clearly a factory defect that was promptly fixed by the dealer.

More power than the fans I remember from 20 years ago, better fuel economy too. Even though I had whatever negotiating power a 4-sled cash purchase gives one, I just couldn't get skidoo into the range I wanted to spend: The Expedition is probably a better sled that will perform just a little bit better and last just a little bit longer, but not (to me) worth the extra $$ since in the end my family and I are recreational riders. Shout out to HPP for both a good deal and great customer support.
    Back in AK

I have 2015 Voyageur 550 that I am happy with. The extra wide skis are a nice feature and the 550 engine has been trouble free so far. The starter has been a little troublesome, it does not always engage properly but I am not sure if it is a issue with low battery amps or an actual starter issue. Cant say I am thrilled with the gas mileage but if you want a fan cooled machine then there are not a lot of choices.

Quote Originally Posted by redhed View Post
    I have 2015 Voyageur 550 that I am happy with. The extra wide skis are a nice feature and the 550 engine has been trouble free so far. The starter has been a little troublesome, it does not always engage properly but I am not sure if it is a issue with low battery amps or an actual starter issue. Cant say I am thrilled with the gas mileage but if you want a fan cooled machine then there are not a lot of choices.
    The starter issue is not the battery, the starter was mounted from the factory using hard rubber mounts and they flex from the torque of the starter motor, they have a update changing the mounts to metal,

As it happens, I switched from a 2010 BC XT to the 2017 Voyageur 550 155 last winter and have been extremely glad that I did. The thing goes anywhere and has a lot fewer problems. Plus it's just a lot more fun to ride - has a lot more zip. Those wide skis are a huge, huge win. I haven't had starter problems with it, unlike the Bearcat.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    As it happens, I switched from a 2010 BC XT to the 2017 Voyageur 550 155 last winter and have been extremely glad that I did. The thing goes anywhere and has a lot fewer problems. Plus it's just a lot more fun to ride - has a lot more zip. Those wide skis are a huge, huge win. I haven't had starter problems with it, unlike the Bearcat.
    And you know. May have been thinking of the bearcat 570 when I was writing about the starter, I had a 2013 bearcat XT with about 425 miles and it was already having starter problems.