Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archery Sheep Hunting Tips

Could probably smack your rifle stock against a rock and have that sound work?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Could probably smack your rifle stock against a rock and have that sound work?
    When I first read this my stomach turned at the thought of taking a perfectly good rifle stock, grabbing it by the barrel (unloaded of course), arching back, and doing an overhead double-handed firewood splitting swing bringing the flat of the stock down on a rock.....to give the appropriate deep, deadening thud of two rams clashing. Assuming I didn't split the stock, I'm thinking it would leave a bit more of a character mark than I'd like in the stock. But then I remembered this is sheep hunting we're talking about....and hell yes I'd give it a shot if I thought it would help me kill a sheep!

But then I remembered my tag is an archery hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_JR View Post
    When I first read this my stomach turned at the thought of taking a perfectly good rifle stock, grabbing it by the barrel (unloaded of course), arching back, and doing an overhead double-handed firewood splitting swing bringing the flat of the stock down on a rock.....to give the appropriate deep, deadening thud of two rams clashing. Assuming I didn't split the stock, I'm thinking it would leave a bit more of a character mark than I'd like in the stock. But then I remembered this is sheep hunting we're talking about....and hell yes I'd give it a shot if I thought it would help me kill a sheep!

But then I remembered my tag is an archery hunt...
    Any spotting scope with at least a 65mm objective lens will make the same noise what smacked against a rock. I try to do three intervals with one good hit in between each time. Seems to be the most effective.
    Master guide 212

Sheep aren't that difficult to get close to and I never wear whites. For example, I had an archery hunter last year and a videographer who was with him. We were hunting in the Talkeetnas, which tends to be a highly pressured sheep population. However, we were able to get all three of us within 9 feet of one ram [but couldn't get a good shot angle before the ram bolted]. Eventually, a couple days later, we were able to get within about 40 feet of another ram and killed that one with a quartering away shot while it was feeding. Bottom line is, if you use some common sense, sheep aren't hard to get close to.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    Sheep aren't that difficult to get close to and I never wear whites. For example, I had an archery hunter last year and a videographer who was with him. We were hunting in the Talkeetnas, which tends to be a highly pressured sheep population. However, we were able to get all three of us within 9 feet of one ram [but couldn't get a good shot angle before the ram bolted]. Eventually, a couple days later, we were able to get within about 40 feet of another ram and killed that one with a quartering away shot while it was feeding. Bottom line is, if you use some common sense, sheep aren't hard to get close to.

Yup! Sheep tend to be placed on some sorta pedastle and that gets to guys mentally sometimes. They have great eye sight and thatís about it. Sometimes scent donít even seem to bother them. But they arenít invincible.
    Master guide 212

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12