Thread: Sheefish in Kotzebue

Default Sheefish in Kotzebue

I was wondering if anyone could share some information with me about icefishing for sheefish in Kotzebue.

I wanted to fly up there at the end of March or early April to try to get some through the ice but I’m not sure how I would be able to access it or if I would even be able to . Are there any outfits up there that I could talk to about it and also I would take any advice on where to stay for a night or two . Any recommendations on ice rods would be welcome as well . This has been something I’ve wanted to do for years but just haven’t gotten around to so I would really love to be able to do it next month .

thanks for any help.

There's a couple guys on here that might be able to help you if they read this thread. You might be a little proactive and try sending them a pm. One is the guy on life below zero named Chip Hailstone. He goes by strangerinastrangeland on the AOD. The other guy hasn't posted in a while, but his name is Bigcox and he used to post pictures on here a lot with sheefish he caught out of Kotz. And last, Walt from Gulkana raft rentals might be able to help too. He runs an outfitting business out of Kotz. He is a wealth of information about anything related to Kotz.

Thanks! I saw Bigcox on some threads and pm’d him a few days ago but I’ll try the others! Much appreciated!

This video shows it all. Wrap some dacron around your favorite stick and your ready to fish. Good fishing within walking distance. Check out the Nullagvik Hotel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzG_RYQGs1w

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie U View Post
    This video shows it all. Wrap some dacron around your favorite stick and your ready to fish. Good fishing within walking distance. Check out the Nullagvik Hotel.

That was a cool video. Man I would love to fish for one of those sheefish one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie U View Post

Thanks! That was cool!

So there’s good fishing within walking distance of the airport area?

Buddy of mine was planning to go to Kotzebue and try for sheefish on his birthday next week, got intel from a local saying that the ice has been sketchy, open water where there shouldn’t be for this time of year. It has just gotten colder in the last few days, but most folks fish shee”s next month... make sure you have a good ice report before you go!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks!

I am planning on April 7 weekend, but still don't have a real clue as to whether or not I can just walk out and fish from the airport area. I am hoping that is the case. If anyone knows that for sure, please let me know or PM me if you'd rather.

I was thinking of taking my luggage, a cooler, a hand auger, filet knife and my poles and hopefully just walking out and fishing all day. Don't know if that would work though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    That was a cool video. Man I would love to fish for one of those sheefish one of these days.
    Boy...I would too. Some friends of mine got into some up off the Yukon somewhere years ago and said they were great, but I doubt they were anything like those in Kotz?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Banned

Cool vid man!!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Thanks!

I was thinking of taking my luggage, a cooler, a hand auger, filet knife and my poles and hopefully just walking out and fishing all day. Don't know if that would work though.
    The good fishing doesn't happen on the ice in front of town. It is in/on the ice of Hotham Inlet which locals call Korbut Lake. You would have to ride a snogo there.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    The good fishing doesn't happen on the ice in front of town. It is in/on the ice of Hotham Inlet which locals call Korbut Lake. You would have to ride a snogo there.
    Thanks! I’ll see if I can get use of one or two!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4590236&type=3

Here is a pic from Kotz. You can see the town in the back ground. Looks like foshing is good fairly close to town.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4590236&type=3

Here is a pic from Kotz. You can see the town in the back ground. Looks like foshing is good fairly close to town.
    Said:
    Sorry, this content isn't available right now

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Said:
    Sorry, this content isn't available right now
    It's a Facebook link. Might have to be signed in to FB to see it.

It's a Facebook link. Might have to be signed in to FB to see it.
    I am, and normally always see the FB stuff. Tried it again just now....no go.