Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Searunner performance issues

Default Searunner performance issues

I bought a Searunner 220 hardtop extended transom last summer. It has a Yamaha 150 with a stainless 14 1/4x 17 stainless solas prop. I am a little disappointed with the overall performance. Unfortantly I donít remember the exact numbers but I seem to be about 1000 rpms under max and only able to do about 28 mph wot. Here is what I am thinking:

1. Over propped. Change prop to a 15Ē pitch?
    2. Engine is mounted on the lowest hole. It might be to low. Raise it up?
    3. Foam water logged? I am taking the boat (and trailer) to get weighed but it is normally just my wife and me and a dog Not that much gear. So even if waterlogged should still have better performance.
    4. Engine problems. Compression or fuel issue. Engine runs and starts great but canít really rule it out.

what do you guys think?

I'd bet on the prop. I can't recommend an alternate and suggest you talk to shop or use one of the online calculators (Yami has one). That 150 may be a little on the low end of the power scale for your Searunner 220, which makes it susceptible to prop problems. But the right prop should improve the performance quite a bit. For me that lower RPM at WOT tells all. Extra weight in your foam wouldn't affect WOT much at all. You might not pick up all that much more speed with and additional 1k RPM, but you should get a little.

it occurs to me that you ought to try one more thing before jumping for a prop. Work with your engine tilt a little. Just nudge it up 3 or 4 bars on the tilt scale and see what happens. On both my boats, when top speed is needed, that little increase in tilt delivers.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Thanks. Thatís what I was thinking at the end of last season but didnít want to go changing a prop right before I parked it for the winter.

I bet the trim button will be your biggest friend. I was thinking about your post while out in our flats boat just now and noted some numbers.

It's a Redfisher 18 with a Yamaha 115 VMax SHO, so the numbers won't compare anything with yours. But the difference in using a little trim adjustment should get your attention. With the motor trimmed all the way down I was getting 5600RPM and 43MPH. Trimmed up 4 bars I was getting 6300RPM and 49MPH. If I didn't know to add the trim for flat out running, that 5600RPM would have convinced me I needed a different prop. The mechanic sezz for that particular motor, the 6300RPM is perfect. Starting with the trim all the way down, you could hear and feel the improvement with each bump of the trim button.

Got me itching to get back to AK and play with the trim a little more on our Hewescraft OF up there!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I have the 220 Op.....very similar boat. I have a 200 Yamaha Inline 4. It came with a 17 pitch prop. I also can not reach the desired 5800-6000 rpm. So having said that my guess is with your boat being very close to mine with a 150 and a 17 pitch prop, your issue would certainly gain clarity by first changing the prop to 15 pitch.

my numbers on a 220 OP with 200 Yamaha nad a 17 pitch prop are
    cruise 4100 rpm at 29mph
    WOT 5100-5300 Rpm at 39-40mph ( these numbers really come down to my weight at the time)

I have a 2016 220 Ocean Pro. I put a 4 stroke Yamaha 250 on it. I have a 15.5"x17 yamah saltwater prop on it. My WOT is 6100rpm with a light load at 4mph. Heavy I hit 5800rpm and usually 42mph (depends on weight).

I believe that Yamaha wants you to hit 5800-6150 rpm (may vary on the 150hp) WOT with whatever load you carry.

If you are not hitting that RPM then you need to look at the mounting height and the Prop pitch/size/make.

I rented a 220OP with a 150 on it several years back and it would run 33mph max.

IMO - the 150 is too small for this size of boat. I do not like under powered floatation devices.

I really don't see how anyone would NOT trim the motor out to get the proper ride - that's boating 101.......assume that you did indeed mess with the trim button. Make sure your trim tabs are up too :-) And pull in that 5 gallon bucket :-) Be sure your anchor is not deployed...

ok - I'll stop.

I am pretty new to this boating stuff but have been trimming my motor. Sounds like I either need a prop with less pitch or a bigger motor. I think I am going to start a log of numbers, rpm, speed, fuel burn rate, trim position and start there. I still think I might bump the motor up a hole. It is cheap and easy. And then play with some props this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Javaboy View Post
    I bought a Searunner 220 hardtop extended transom last summer. It has a Yamaha 150 with a stainless 14 1/4x 17 stainless solas prop. I am a little disappointed with the overall performance. Unfortantly I don’t remember the exact numbers but I seem to be about 1000 rpms under max and only able to do about 28 mph wot. Here is what I am thinking:

1. Over propped. Change prop to a 15¬Ē pitch?
    2. Engine is mounted on the lowest hole. It might be to low. Raise it up?
    3. Foam water logged? I am taking the boat (and trailer) to get weighed but it is normally just my wife and me and a dog Not that much gear. So even if waterlogged should still have better performance.
    4. Engine problems. Compression or fuel issue. Engine runs and starts great but can’t really rule it out.

what do you guys think?
    1. Most prop mfrs have a prop selector program on their website. Give them a try to see what they recommend. https://www.rubexprops.com/ https://www.miwheel.com/outboard-pro.../recreational/
    2. With your OB tilted all the way down, put a level on the bottom of your boat at the transom & measure the distance that the cavitation plate of your OB is above or below the bottom of your hull. Should be plus or minus an inch at most.
    3. Waterlogged foam could be ~400# depending on the age & exposure of your boat. It will cost you speed & fuel consumption, not rpms.
    4. You can have compression test, computer readouts, etc done by a mechanic as a last resort.

Is your boat a SeaRunner or an Ocean Pro? A 150hp OB isn't bad on a SeaRunner but the extra width of a OP needs more hp.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I have a 2016 220 Ocean Pro. I put a 4 stroke Yamaha 250 on it. I have a 15.5"x17 yamah saltwater prop on it. My WOT is 6100rpm with a light load at 4mph. Heavy I hit 5800rpm and usually 42mph (depends on weight).

I believe that Yamaha wants you to hit 5800-6150 rpm (may vary on the 150hp) WOT with whatever load you carry.

If you are not hitting that RPM then you need to look at the mounting height and the Prop pitch/size/make.

I rented a 220OP with a 150 on it several years back and it would run 33mph max.

IMO - the 150 is too small for this size of boat. I do not like under powered floatation devices.
    4mph @ 6100 rpm might be a tad underpowered!!
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    4mph @ 6100 rpm might be a tad underpowered!!
    I swear I fixed it. 44mph top end speed. I thought it would be closer to 50 when I bought it....

I've run a couple 24' aluminum boats with single outboards and the fact of the matter is that 150 is not enough motor for that boat. Plain and simple. You may be able to make it work if it was propped better.

This may also be a cheap way to see an improvement: https://www.davisnet.com/product/doe...zer-fin-black/

My current boat is a heavy 24' Almar with a single 250. Its just not quite enough motor, but after I put these fins on it was like night and day.

If you decide to change props I would by that 14.25x17 off you for the right price.

my first stop would be at the scales. free, easy and takes minutes. assuming you can find out what the weight should be.

Quote Originally Posted by krisinak View Post
    my first stop would be at the scales. free, easy and takes minutes. assuming you can find out what the weight should be.
    Call Hewes & ask them for the weight of boat, motor & trailer then add in the extras - gas, gear, bodies, etc. 800 326 6594
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I have the same motor and boat. It will run a bit over 40mph at wot. I take it moose hunting on the Koyokuk and it will run 33 to 35 mph wot upriver with 2 moose. Done it a lot of times . But that sucks the gas. Your set-up should run a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Javaboy View Post
    I am pretty new to this boating stuff but have been trimming my motor. Sounds like I either need a prop with less pitch or a bigger motor. I think I am going to start a log of numbers, rpm, speed, fuel burn rate, trim position and start there. I still think I might bump the motor up a hole. It is cheap and easy. And then play with some props this summer.
    Are you trimming the motor or are you actually trimming the boat with trim tabs?
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by akfunhog View Post
    I've run a couple 24' aluminum boats with single outboards and the fact of the matter is that 150 is not enough motor for that boat. Plain and simple. You may be able to make it work if it was propped better.

This may also be a cheap way to see an improvement: https://www.davisnet.com/product/doe...zer-fin-black/
    I have a set of Doel-Fins and a Stingray original model in my ever growing pile of extra special stuff if anyone would care to explore that angle on the cheap.

A 150 yama on a Searunner runs fine. The 22'OP and the 24' hewescrafts are a lot wider bottom and that definitely requires more hp. And the prop I ended up with after trying a lot props, is the black Yamaha SS prop. I think its a 15 1\4 x 15. Big blades get on step easier, and a little less cup then the shinny SS lets it wrap up quicker. And a couple of friends use the same setup with the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by prconnection View Post
    I have the 220 Op.....very similar boat. I have a 200 Yamaha Inline 4. It came with a 17 pitch prop. I also can not reach the desired 5800-6000 rpm. So having said that my guess is with your boat being very close to mine with a 150 and a 17 pitch prop, your issue would certainly gain clarity by first changing the prop to 15 pitch.

my numbers on a 220 OP with 200 Yamaha nad a 17 pitch prop are
    cruise 4100 rpm at 29mph
    WOT 5100-5300 Rpm at 39-40mph ( these numbers really come down to my weight at the time)
    I think you're overpropped. I'd bump down a pitch. Will hop on step better and respond way better in rougher seas. Small price to pay for a couple MPH when you're light and it's flat. Go stainless if you can afford it. Most good prop shops will let you try a prop and swap it for a different one if it's not right - as long as you don't eff it up. I always shoot for 6K @ WOT with full fuel and light load. If you're only hitting low 5's you are likely lugging the motor which is harder on them than spinning them up. Outboards are made to rev and most are pretty happy high in the rpm range.

Supporting Member

Re-powering seems like an awfully expensive proposition. Those f150's are known for being pretty reliable and if it's a current model it shares the same displacement as the 175 and 200's meaning it likely has the same torque just a little lighter on the top end, how often to we get to run WOT anyways considering chop etc. I would certainly exhaust other options before getting to that point, it's amazing the difference a prop change can make, as well as proper trim. Start trimmed all the way down then trim up once on plane until good rpm and ride are achieved, if your are bouncing too much trim down a touch...etc.
    See if an experienced boater in your area with a similar rig would go do some sea trials with you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast