Thread: My Planar Heater Install

Default My Planar Heater Install

I ordered the 44D Planar Diesel Heater from Brian at BK Marine Services a couple months ago and installed it myself. I have about 30 hours of run time on it boy is it nice to have a toasty warm cab. My boat is a 92' Almar cuddy and the most time intensive thing about the install was just trying to figure out were to put the heater and be able to run the ducting where I wanted without cutting a bunch of holes in my boat and trying to keep it as hidden as possible. I think the ducting was by far the most time intensive part of the install. Brian was helpful and quick to respond to the few questions I had.

There used to be a single propane burner in the counter but I was sooo wet when used we just bring a two burner coleman camp stove and use it on the back deck. I pulled the stove top and used this cutting board to cover the opening. Also allows easy access to the heater through the top.

I installed the fuel tank in an aluminum box on the deck that used to hold the propane bottle for the stove and catalytic heater in the cab. The fuel pump is a little on the noisy side, but Brian said it would be quieter if I mounted it more vertical. After running awhile and maybe getting "broke in" the pump is a lot quieter.

The ducting T's here and the 4 inch goes under the captains feet and comes out at a vent into the "hall" and acts as the main cabin heater.

Main cabin duct. There were a bunch of holes left over from the catalytic system and some other garbage so I made a new plate to cover it all up. Im not sold on the look but its a foot level and I never see it anyway.

The 3 inch duct from the T travels behind the gunnel and comes out in the forward cuddy and into this junction box My father-in-law welded up for me. I wanted to be able to direct the airflow between the main cabin, cuddy, and windows. This was the bes I could come up with. The vents all have rotational and dampening abilities.

There is a forward facing glove compartment (opens into the cuddy) that I had to go through in order to get a vent on the drivers side window. That where this little length of silicone ducting came in handy.

Ducting and intake/outlet pieces are virtually impossible to find below 3 inch diameter, but I did find this place: http://www.pilotshop.com where you can get all kinds of 2 inch stuff (like aluminum 2 inch outlets) They will also cut ducting to length and ship USPS.

I did shoot different parts of the system with a heat gun. The heater air looks to be close to 150 at the heater outlet. The external temperature of the galvanized T at the outlet was 95. The actual heater exhaust pipe read 320.

Man that looks great. Time on the boat just got that much better! :-)
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com