Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat Trailers

Default Meat Trailers

Is there anywhere to buy an atv meat trailer around Anchorage for under $400? I found one at Fred Meyer for $330 but it doesn't seem like much for the money.

Would one of these John Deere trailers work or is it necessary to have a trailer with the larger 22x11x8 tires? The JD has 16x6.5x8 tires. BTW, I'd be pulling the trailer with a '84 Honda Big Red, but plan on buying a 4 wheeler next year-08.

Link to John Deere trailer:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100121369

Tim

check sportsman's.

I forgot about that....I was there...the one's at Sportsman's looked like the John Deere (a little bigger box), but with 22x11x8 tires and they were 2x as much $. The JD is $200, the trailers at Spotsman's are $400-$455.

Tim

Default Trailer tire size

I perfer 25" tires for the clearence and I like 11" to 12" for width. 22"s are the smallest I would go. Check the rims see what bolt pattern they are might be able to run different rims. It also depends on where you go with it.Tundra and bog or gravel and dirt. Just to give you on idea on price I built my four wheeler trailer and it cost $300 in parts and that was just the spindles, tongue, and trailer ball for the back. I already had the metal for frame and hubs. Before building this trailer I thought the ones going for $500 & $600 was nuts. The tires are a big part of the $300 ( $112 each)that is wy most people run 22's. They are some what cheaper at least at 6 robblies

Default I might be able to help

email me at

tundracub@hotmail.com

I might be able to help you.
    Cheers

Also check out Alaska Power Sports/Marita Sea and Ski....

Quote Originally Posted by mooseeker View Post
    I perfer 25" tires for the clearence and I like 11" to 12" for width. 22"s are the smallest I would go. Check the rims see what bolt pattern they are might be able to run different rims. It also depends on where you go with it.Tundra and bog or gravel and dirt. Just to give you on idea on price I built my four wheeler trailer and it cost $300 in parts and that was just the spindles, tongue, and trailer ball for the back. I already had the metal for frame and hubs. Before building this trailer I thought the ones going for $500 & $600 was nuts. The tires are a big part of the $300 ( $112 each)that is wy most people run 22's. They are some what cheaper at least at 6 robblies
    That's the kicker....I have the rear axle out of a Honda 125M (22x11x8 ties) plus two spare 25x12x9 tires for the big red. I figured parts + labor (mostly welding) would run me around $300 or more to fabricate a trailer. Plus, I need a trailer by mid-August to hunt caribou out of Chicken.

I like the weight of the JD trailer (73 lbs) but when I get a new 4 wheeler trailer weight doesn't mean as much-metal trailer at Fred's weight 210+/-. I guess if I can put bigger tires/rims on the JD trailer it may be worth considering.

I'll check out AK Power Sports and AK Mining and Diving too, I saw an add advertising a 1 million dollar sale this weekend.

Tim

After seeing what is being sold locally for several decades I came to the conclusion if you want a meat wagon that will not fall apart you need to have it put together and welded locally. Exceptions to this are if you are only going to use the trailer on smooth trails (highly unlikely up here).
    25 inch tires are a must in my opinion.
    Look for a used one that has a good frame with the correct ball height. If you pack this trailer heavy you want to make sure it is designed correctly otherwise it will end up off the trail rusting like I have seen so many else do.
    Tennessee

a couple of things you need to keep in consideration are:

how far do you plan on going in and how much gear are you taking plus if you are successful what is your total expected weight for the trip.

how rough is the terrain you plan on traveling and do you want a trailer that will last a long time?

somethings you can cut corners on and maybe save some money like toilet paper or soap the wife's cloths ya know what i mean. be careful with the quality of the trailer you by as well as the wheeler you get cause there's nothing worse than breaking down over a few buck's.

i bought an atv wagon from white spruce, single axle. should last a life time.

Cheap ones dont last long thats for sure. I got one that anchorage suzuki was selling years ago for $199. The tub is just big enough to fit in a 152qt cooler. Anyways its been all rebuilt and re-inforced now. Luckily I had the metal laying around work so it was just time. Now shes solid, not perfect but solid. Its made numerous trips up to chicken and survived.

I keep my nice one in Tok. that one cost a bit more but worth it. Its carried a complete moose out with gear strapped to the lid. To big to carry back and forth.

Tim, if you want to borrow mine for this trip you can. I'm not gonna have to much of a hunting season due to work and my wifes back injury. I just hate to see somebody go out with a cheap meat wagon and have them bite it in there butt.

Cool Cheap trailer

I built my meat trailer out of an old rear axle. Took it to Chicken last year with no problems. Misc. parts cost me about $150. I did all the cutting and grinding and a friend welded it together for me for free. Theres a pic of it in the other trailer thread . if you want some more photos or info drop me a line.

Default That's nice

Blink. And that's what makes this forum (Alaska) cool.

Default Thanks for the offer!

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    Blink. And that's what makes this forum (Alaska) cool.
    Blink,
    I may be interested in taking you up on your offer. I should know this week what I'm going to do. I may buy the Fred's trailer, its on sale for $251, and reinforce it. I'll pm you later this week and let you know. I'm in Anchorage too.

Negative50, I'll drop you a pm too when I figure out what I want to do. Are you in Anchorage?

Thanks again guys,
    Tim

Cool

No, I'm up at North Pole. I just added a lid to mine to keep out the mud and haul extras (fuel for one).DSCN1854.jpg

My cam is broke so I'll describe mine. I wanted the best 2 wheel meat trailer I could find, but I didn't want to shell out all that money. Hands down the best I saw were made by Husky Manufacturing in wasilla. Alum trailers. I didn't want the traditional V shaped tub, there is more room in the ones where the tires are covered and there is storage space in front and back of the wheels if you know what I'm trying to describe Plus they are more stable than the V shaped tubs.
    This was 3 years ago. The trailers were over a$1000 then so I just bought the alum tub for $450. Then at 6 robbles I bought their meat trailer kit which comes with the tires, rims and all hardware for $150, then $50 for 2X2 square iron and I put it all together for $650 (some welding) on top of the trailer I have a plywood cover that allows me to stack stuff as high as I want. I carried out 2 moose, fifty miles last season, plus gear. I can put over a thousand lbs of whatever in this trailer and haul it, awesome. Took a day to make, don't know the price of his tubs and trailers now but they are the best I've seen.

Default Call PlasChem

They're in Anchorage. They manufacture the "PacRat" trailer. It's awesome!!! A friend of mine has one and it's priceless. Removable hinged lid, dual axle, tons of capacity!!! I don't think they're on the cheap side of the price chart, but they're great guys and have awesome service. They make a ski kit for it too for the other 3/4 of the year

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    After seeing what is being sold locally for several decades I came to the conclusion if you want a meat wagon that will not fall apart you need to have it put together and welded locally....
    I thought Snyd's trailer (made from a Rubbermaid livestock watering tub) was absolutely genius. It's light, will float, and they're pretty tough.

Building something like this wouldn't require welding aluminum, it would be as cheap as it gets, and you could install wheels/tires of any size on it.........

It is a nice trailer. He has it designed nicely with the swivel tongue. But you are going to have a lot more than $600 into it by the time you add 25 inch tires. I think I have seen those trailers for sale at Anchorage Suzuki before. If memory serves me correctly they sell for close to $500 with 22 inch tires.
    I would still do some cross bracing on the frame and add a piece above the tongue to help level it out and match the height of the ball on the atv.
    Tennessee

I also have the Pac-Rat trailer, I would never own anything else.

I bought my trailer for $480 bucks about 4 years ago from a guy in NorthPole who was making them, YOUCH! But, that was the best value I could find considering an aluminum t-box was going for around 900. It has the 100 gal tub which works but I think the bigger 150 gal might be a little better. It would make it wider though. It's all a trade off. I can drag this thing anywhere behind my griz and it's tough with the 2 inch. There's another outfit that makes them too I think. I added the swivel hitch. Cheap but effective. I've had guys ask my how I made it. Here are some pics and a description.

http://homepage.mac.com/perryschneid...toAlbum12.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast