Thread: Silvers and halibut in Whittier

Default Silvers and halibut in Whittier

I have a friend in from the lower 48 who I'll be taking out of Whittier on my boat this weekend. Does anyone have a few general areas within about 40 miles from the harbor (not looking for your honey holes) where we may be able to get into a few 'but and silvers?

I picked up a few silvers off the NW corner of Culross Island last weekend, but struck out on 'but.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thumbs up

run over to the south end of perry island for silvers and then run down to crafton island for a few flat fish. you should be productive. the salmon are running now so the flat fish will be moving pretty good.

Is there any shrimping to be had in the area? I would be towing a 24 ft Almar down from Fairbanks. Any issues with the roads down to Homer? Any suggestions on a place to stay down there? Thanks, Rob

There is road construction a few miles before the Kenai/Seward Y, so expect a 1/2 hour to hour delay on the way down to Homer. Don't know if there is any construction going on South of Soldotna.

There is no construction to speak of past Soldotna... Stariski Creek bridge has a detour around it while they repair it, but it's nothing more than a slowdown to 35 posted speed limit and go over the temp bridge they have setup. No problems going over it with any size boat.

As far as a place to stay in Homer... camper? tent? B&B? hotel? Lots of options, just depends on what you're looking for...
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Thanks! Old age has set in and I asked about Homer when I meant Whittier... I saw on google earth that it looked like you travel over a glacier to get there??? I think I have also seen mention of a tunnel that closes by 11:00 PM??? My darling wife thinks our 40ft Diesel RV is roughing it, so we would be looking for a B&B or a hotel. I'm cheap and she believes she is a Princess, so we normally compromise. I may just leave her and her mom in Anchorage for a night while the men folk go out and do stupid things...er I mean fish. Thanks!

Silvers in pigot point!!!! Beyond there you are only allowed 3. But pigot to Whitter you can take 6.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Whittier is a very small little town. I haven't really paid much attention to hotels or B&B's but I am pretty sure you will probably be limited to 1 hotel. There really aren't many buildings there and most of the residents live in Begich Towers I beleive its called.

As for the tunnel, you'd do fine with your RV through the tunnel. If you turn right just past the covered train loading/unloading area, right at the end of the parking lot and up the slight hill through the trees there is a campground. Its not much more than a parking area but hey, your in an RV in Whittier Personally I'd take the RV vs finding accomodations. Here is the link to the tunnel info. http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whit...el/index.shtml

Yes there are some shrimp out there as well. Halibut seem to be relatively hard to come by without traveling a fair distance. I don't go out too far usually so we have only caught a handfull of butts but there are plenty of other fish to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Silvers in pigot point!!!! Beyond there you are only allowed 3. But pigot to Whitter you can take 6.
    Huh? Whazzatt??? Silvers at Pigot Point? Already? Oh heck, now I'm gonna have to lose some time at my store and haul the boat down to Whittier. You wouldn't kid a gray haired dude about something like that, would ya?

Not many at pigot point, unless things have not changed since sunday. I was out today, but way to nasty to bother even stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by LipSnatcher View Post
    ... I was out today, but way to nasty to bother even stopping.
    That was my problem last year. It seemed that every time I went down there I either got blown off the water or just stood above the launch, watched the other boats struggling against the heavy seas, sighed heavily and went back home. Expensive to say the least.

On the plus side, when I am able to get out on the water I've had some beautiful days out there so I'll just have to put up with the bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by robf15e View Post
    Is there any shrimping to be had in the area? I would be towing a 24 ft Almar down from Fairbanks. Any issues with the roads down to Homer? Any suggestions on a place to stay down there? Thanks, Rob
    I've filled a 128 quart marine cooler full of shrimp in 2 days out of Whittier (and they weren't the little ones most people catch).

I won't divulge my shrimp location because I am buying a new ocean boat (30 ft Boulton Kodiak) and don't want to find 20 other people there but I can tell you that the GOOD shrimping is at least an hour out of Whittier. Fish the steep terrain and you'll find them.

Thanks for the info. This is a great site. I am toying with the idea of spending a night aboard the boat in a bay in Perry island or camping on the island. I know my wife thinks I'm crazy, but has anyone done either of those. I have slept on the boat before and it is more comfortable than camping. I have two bench seats that fold together into a large bed. As for camping on the island, the big questions are 1. Is it allowed. 2. Are there bears.... I prefer to sleep where I am at the top of the food chain, not part of it...LOL Is Perry Island far enough for Halibut, or do I need to go longer? Thanks!

Default robf15e

Yes people stay on there boats all the time out there. Only makes sense if you have the time too. It actually pays too stay a couple days. Yes it is legal to camp on shore. There are not many bears on Perry. I have seen some fresh sign in the fall. But that is about it. You would be fine on Perry. West and East twin bays seem to be popular. Lots of rock fish out there too.

Default Boat Camping PWS

I'd recommend buying "Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound" by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe. Available at Title Wave and other bookstores. Very helpful for good places to drop a hook for the night and lots of information about weather etc. I've always got a copy in my boat and usually find it to be helpful especially when we are overnighting.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I've stayed on a boat in West Twin Arm Bay on Perry Island many times and it's a good place to anchor. I've seen people camping on the beach many times. If you go there, there's a rock that sticks out of the water near the head of the bay, then there's a spit (if I remember correctly) to the left and just beyond the rock. Don't go on the other side of the spit because parts can go dry at low tide.

There is also a real neat seal haulout on perry island that you may want to see. I would second the Guide to Cruising Prince William Sound. We use it every weekend to explore new anchorages.

I saw some nice sheltered coves in the island with Goggle Earth that I thought would be good. A coworker cautioned that the tides can leave you landlocked or worse - high and dry... That would be my luck as Murphy is a constant side kick of mine. I will definately look for the book in town. The whole southern coast looks facinating and I wish it wasn't such a long haul from Fairbanks. If I make the trip, I'll be certain to post what I learn. Looks like the wife and kids have already bailed out on me, so now I'll need to see if my cousin's are game.

If your family isn't to keen on the idea of Whittier because of the water or camping or whatever that's a bummer. If you can, I would take them at least once even if you don't go out as far as you might like too. I know you are in for a drive and planning is important but if you watch the water forecasts it can be as good as boating on any lake. Here is a link if you don't have it already http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/marfcst.php...K51PAFC#PKZ120 It is really a beautiful area. Much more scenic than Seward or Homer by far IMO. I know I have complained about the harbor/launch etc. as much or more than the next guy but the time I have spent out there on the water more than out ways any inconvenience.

Thanks AK. I didn't have that site. I did take the wife and daughter down to Valdez earlier in the year. The first day was 3-4ft seas and they both felt sick during the trip out. The Almar has a modified V bottom and really doesn't cut the waves very well. The next morning was much better and we were able to get on step. Saw some Dall Porpoises and an Eagle. We didn't really catch any fish and only a few shrimp. Was a long expensive trip for 10 shrimp. LOL But man were they good. HA HA. Her parents are in town and they don't want to go, so that is part of it. She is normally pretty game to try things, but I am the outdoors type and she is the Ritz type. I am excited about fishing in PWS, but after two trips and no fish I am reminded of a saying I once heard: There is a fine line between fishing and standing in a boat looking silly.... :-) Previously I had a local with me who claimed to be an expert, so I figure I am in even deeper trouble without him, but maybe not. I know there are lots of tricks to learn and the people on this site have been very good about sharing them with a newbie like me. Thanks to all.