Thread: Moose creek

Default Moose creek

Hello.
    Has anybody done the float on moose creek either to neil lake or deshka. Who do you use for pick up services? Any input will be really apreciated. How long the trip should take? I would like to fish it also. What is the best time to do this float, thanks

Chumming the waters. I have never done this float. I talked to Ron (Ron's Riverboat from YEARs ago) about doing this as at the time he set things up and rented Coleman Canoes for it. He said it was pretty shallow and people would not carry their stuff across the gravel bars instead they'd drag his loaded canoes over the gravel...there were wear marks on most if not all his canoes. It sounded like a lot of folks did the float. Still on my to do list.

I did drive by the upper end and from the road it looked pretty shallow as well at that time and place. The water had a bit of color to it.

Maybe someone on the powerboat section knows who can move you back to the Landing.

Have you look into the Knik canoe-ers they might have what you want/ need SID
    PS they are o this forum , look around

Do a search on this site or use google. Copy and paste this into your google search: "site:forums.outdoorsdirectory.com moose creek" There is a good write-up in 2006 from a guy who did it in a 13' cat. It sounds like lots of wildlife.

Thanks alot for input

Never did it in a canoe, but I did it in a raft before. Nice float. Yes, there is a guy at Deshka landing who has a jet boat and he will pick you up for a reasonable fee. I think $50-$100 sounds about right. I can't remember his name, but Ron sounds familiar. Just call someone at Deshka landing and I'm sure they will know who to call. Anyhow, the float takes a few days. I think it is about 50-60 miles from the Oilwell road. Rainbow fishing is decent in the upper headwaters. After you get past the forks, the river begins to meander and the rainbow fishing slows down. But, the pike fishing can be really good in the spring time. They spawn in the shallows. Find the shallow reed grass and you'll find the pike. They are a blast to shoot with a bow and arrow. We also saw a bunch of suckers or whitefish in places. Tried to catch them but no bites. In the middle of summer you can probably get into the salmon pretty good, but we went in the spring. Fun float. Lots of gravel bars to camp on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Never did it in a canoe, but I did it in a raft before. Nice float. Yes, there is a guy at Deshka landing who has a jet boat and he will pick you up for a reasonable fee. I think $50-$100 sounds about right. I can't remember his name, but Ron sounds familiar. Just call someone at Deshka landing and I'm sure they will know who to call. Anyhow, the float takes a few days. I think it is about 50-60 miles from the Oilwell road. Rainbow fishing is decent in the upper headwaters. After you get past the forks, the river begins to meander and the rainbow fishing slows down. But, the pike fishing can be really good in the spring time. They spawn in the shallows. Find the shallow reed grass and you'll find the pike. They are a blast to shoot with a bow and arrow. We also saw a bunch of suckers or whitefish in places. Tried to catch them but no bites. In the middle of summer you can probably get into the salmon pretty good, but we went in the spring. Fun float. Lots of gravel bars to camp on.
    Thanks. I will look into it and try to do the float this year. Sound like it is a fun trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done Moose creek in a canoe when the water was really low and have done Kroto and Moose in a 13í raft when it was high and fast (did it in 2 days). Kroto is a little shorter float but a lot more winding at the beginning. I did see a Coleman canoe folded up in a logjam. It is a cool float either way you go. Back when Andy Willis was running the Deshka River Lodge he would run people back up to the landing for about $60.00 but I donít know if anyoneís doing it now. Ditto what he said about the pike fishing😀. Regrettably I didnít make go last summer because they had a great run of silvers.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Side story on Coleman canoes. 30+ years ago I had friends in Billings, MT. (edit: Yellowstone River) Several of them jointly owned a Coleman and they would loan it out to about anyone that would ask. They'd always tell the people borrowing to stay away from the bridges. One time they got it back folded in half...yep, too close to a bridge. The owners took the al. parts off, pushed the plastic back in place, ordered new al. parts, and it was good as new.