Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Louise riding report

Default Lake Louise riding report

Lake Louise Trail Report
    February 14, 2018

The temperature this week has finally warmed up above the zero mark. The temperatures have been -6 degrees in the mornings and climbing into the 20's during the afternoons. We've received about 1” of snow today and snow showers are predicted through this weekend.
    With the warmer weather, snow and trail conditions have never been better.
    All the groomed trails are smooth, hard packed, and in great condition. I’ve had reports from folks that have been “boon docking” and they say the snow off the trail is bottomless and couldn't be any better. The overflow seems to have healed up and doesn't appear to be the problem it has been for the last couple months.
    We groomed the Tolsona/Cindy/Crosswind West Trails today. That now opens up a 45 mile loop out to Crosswind Lake and back to Lake Louise.
    On Thursday we will finish grooming the Eureka/John Lake Trail opening it up to ride to Eureka Lodge on smooth trails.
    Mendeltna/Bob Lake trail was groomed on Tuesday with snowmachine groomers preparing for this weekend's “sweetheart fun run”.
    After the weekend we will groom the east side of Lake Louise and down Susitna Lake into Tyone to the Nipple Mt. Trail head.
    The Moore Trail has yet to be groomed. Still need help doing track maintenance on the Bombardier. Once that is accomplished we will groom the Moore Trail. Soon I hope.
    Always remember: Don't travel alone, dress appropriately and let someone know where you are going.
    If you come across a trail hazard. Please report it to someone at Lake Louise Lodge.

image.jpgIf you were at the lake this weekend, you rode some great marked trails - thanks to the great work of all the volunteers of the club!
    Now it is your turn to help support the club.
    - Wolfpack weekend is just a few short weeks away on March 10th.
    Your baskets and donations for prize giveaways will continue to make this weekend a success!
    Time to start collecting donations and getting those ideas pulled together for your donation baskets!
    Hope to see you there!!!! March 10th.

FEB. 21 2018

Lake Louise trail report

A great deal of trail maintenance and grooming has been conducted on the numerous trails in this area over the past 10 days. Most trails have been groomed at least once. Both loops on Lake Susitna and Lake Louise were groomed yesterday. Also the trail from Lake Susitna, thru Lake Tyone to Nipple Mountain has been groomed. We have excellent snow conditions on the groomed trails and if you like boon-docking, cross country riding has been excellent.

The colder weather we experienced in late January and early February has done a great deal in eliminating the overflow. However, overflow can still be encountered so be careful.

The channel between Lake Louise and Lake Susitna is still open and many of the narrow channels on Tyone Lake are also open. Please use extreme caution when traveling in this area and especially if you are going off of the marked trails.

The temperatures continue to improve. For the past 4 days, temps have ranged from 0 to 20 degrees. On Monday morning we woke up to another 1 ˝ inches of new fluffy snow. Some ice fog has developed in the morning hours to only be burned off by early afternoon.

The Moore Trail has yet to be groomed. We are still conducting track maintenance on the Bombardier. If we can get more help from Club members we should be able to complete this work in one good long day. Once that is accomplished, we will be able to groom the Moore Trail.

Comments:

As a reminder. Don't travel alone, dress appropriately and let someone know where you are going. If you do come across a hazard. Please report it to someone at Lake Louise Lodge.

February 21, 2018

Trail report February 28th

All groomed trails remain in great shape. Trails are hard packed and have a layer of approximately 3” inches of new loose snow. You will find great traveling on all groomed trails and if you like to head out and make your own trail, you’ll find great snow conditions and a smile on your face!!

We will resume grooming towards the end of this week starting with the Cindy and Crosswind Trails. Our goal is to have most, if not all trails groomed by Wolf Pack Weekend, March 9-10.

The temperatures have remained a little chilly with evening temperatures dipping to minus 10 and 5 to 10 above during the day. The colder weather we experienced in late January and early February did a great job of eliminating the overflow. However, overflow can still be encountered so be careful.

The channel between Lake Louise and Lake Susitna is still open and many of the narrow channels on Tyone Lake are also open. Please use extreme caution when traveling in this area and especially if you are going off of the marked trails.

We have made great progress on track maintenance on the Bombardier (Big Foot). However, we still can use some more help from Club members. Once that is accomplished, we will be able to groom the Moore Lake Trail.

Comments:

As a reminder. Don't travel alone, dress appropriately and let someone know where you are going. If you do come across a hazard. Please report it to someone at Lake Louise Lodge.

February 28, 2018

And please respect traplines as wolf trapping is still going on. When running cross country and you come across an obvious cut trail with signs and wings hanging, please respect the work of someone who has spent years of time surveying, cutting and setting their trails. Happens every year about this time and happened to me last weekend. A group of mountain riders came across my trail and proceeded to run down it, criss cross it and absolutely tore up the area for miles, ignoring my signs and sets with hanging wings. Another trapper 50 miles south of me ran into the same thing but the "riders" stole animals and traps.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    And please respect traplines as wolf trapping is still going on. When running cross country and you come across an obvious cut trail with signs and wings hanging, please respect the work of someone who has spent years of time surveying, cutting and setting their trails. Happens every year about this time and happened to me last weekend. A group of mountain riders came across my trail and proceeded to run down it, criss cross it and absolutely tore up the area for miles, ignoring my signs and sets with hanging wings. Another trapper 50 miles south of me ran into the same thing but the "riders" stole animals and traps.
    sorry for the issues you have had, I have ridden up at the lakes for most of my adult life and have never noticed any kind of signs or wings hanging, but will keep an eye out and will head a different way if at all possible.

Wish all riders were like you Hunter1951. Its just part of the job this time of year. I spend the long cold winter days maintaining my 52 mile trrapline and when things finally start to warm up, more daylight and MUCH more enjoyable this time of year I start to get the cross country folks. It's not like I'm anywhere near a trail system or cabins, I work very hard to stay away from people. I would say though 8 or 10 riders do turn around when they encounter one of my signs.

Wish all riders were like you Hunter1951. Its just part of the job this time of year. I spend the long cold winter days maintaining my 52 mile trrapline and when things finally start to warm up, more daylight and MUCH more enjoyable this time of year I start to get the cross country folks. It's not like I'm anywhere near a trail system or cabins, I work very hard to stay away from people. I would say though 8 or 10 riders do turn around when they encounter one of my signs.
    Thanks for the kind words, I almost always stay right on the groomed rails if I am sight seeing or just stay on the lake trail back to the east side of susitna, I try very hard to stay on those trails as most of the machines I have ever had would just get stuck LOL, I use my machines almost completly for transportation to and from my two properties on the eastside of susitna, best of luck out there and enjoy.

If you are venturing back into the tyone area stay on the trail, there is rotten ice all over the place back there. I was back in there this past weekend and the channel and both sets of narrows had paper thin ice across them. However the trail is real good all the way to nipple mountain and there has been enough traffic down the tyone river to safely travel. Have fun and don’t travel alone.

So active trapline means we can’t ride in that country? So it’s kind of private land but still state land? Help me understand what you are trying to lay down.. if we/I see a active trapline I’m supposed to avoid 52 miles of country hmmm.. can’t even travel couple miles of it to access a different area..

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    So active trapline means we can’t ride in that country? So it’s kind of private land but still state land? Help me understand what you are trying to lay down.. if we/I see a active trapline I’m supposed to avoid 52 miles of country hmmm.. can’t even travel couple miles of it to access a different area..
    You have a good point, I would not avoid 52 sq miles of country I just would be careful not to disturb his sets or tear up the trail he has worked to maintain. I have been a regular up at the lakes for around 57 years back then the east side of Susitna was barran and most times you had the lake mostly to yourself now I have neighbors everywhere things change. If I could avoid upsetting an area I certainly would but then again I am not going to travel 52 extra miles to do so.

I think the main thing that trailblazer is saying that the way mountain sleds with big paddle tracks tearing up the trail . In that like making ruts in the trail and most of all at all kind of odd angles . These are public lands but you need to respect other users . As posted on other threads it makes a mess of the trail when this happens . Use the trail and go on to where you are heading but don't destroy some ones hard work of putting a useable trail .

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    You have a good point, I would not avoid 52 sq miles of country I just would be careful not to disturb his sets or tear up the trail he has worked to maintain. I have been a regular up at the lakes for around 57 years back then the east side of Susitna was barran and most times you had the lake mostly to yourself now I have neighbors everywhere things change. If I could avoid upsetting an area I certainly would but then again I am not going to travel 52 extra miles to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    I think the main thing that trailblazer is saying that the way mountain sleds with big paddle tracks tearing up the trail . In that like making ruts in the trail and most of all at all kind of odd angles . These are public lands but you need to respect other users . As posted on other threads it makes a mess of the trail when this happens . Use the trail and go on to where you are heading but don't destroy some ones hard work of putting a useable trail .

I would think most people would agree at least I would hope so😄

I don't think it's that difficult. It looks to me like he's asking riders to treat the work of others like they would want their own efforts to be respected. Help me understand how some folks may not be aware of the Golden Rule.

Most people and almost all Alaskans that have been here 30 years or more have no problems understanding what "I'm trying to lay down". Its simply common sense, courtesy and respect of one another. Just like I have common sense to know I don't own the land, and I also have common sense that people are going to stumble, often by mistake, and travel the trails I have cut. I was simply posting a reminder that there are still people out in the area trapping. I also explained a few examples of where people showed no common sense, courtesy nor respect...

March 7, 2018

Since last week’s trail report, members of the Lake Louise Snow Machine Club led by our President Harry Holt where able to get allot done, both on grooming trails and completing the track maintenance on the Bombardier “Big Foot”. Many of the over 250 miles of trails the Lake Louise Snow Machine Club maintains will have been groomed over the next 5-7 days. As of this morning, all trails on Lake Louise, Lake Susitna and Tyone Lake to Nipple Mountain have been groomed. Today and tomorrow, the Cindy Lake Trail, Portions of the Tolsona Trail and the remainder of the trails to Crosswind Lake will be groomed.

This is an exceptional snow year. We have not experienced these snow depths and conditions for a number of years. Over the past week an additional 3 inches of new snow fell. All groomed trails remain in great shape. You will find great traveling on all groomed trails and if you like to head out and make your own trail, you’ll find great snow conditions and a smile on your face!!

This weekend is especially important for the Lake Louise Snow Machine Club. This will be the “Wolf Pack Weekend”, the annual fund raiser for the Club! All activities are scheduled for Saturday, March 10. Starting at noon and meeting at Lake Louise Lodge there will be a fun ride for all ages to Doc and Chico's on Crosswind Lake. Information on the trail route will be provided at the Lodge and for people not familiar with the trail route we will have a “Trustworthy and Knowledgeable” guide for your safety and fun. Saturday night, the Lake Louise Lodge will be hosting a “Dinner Special”, an Old Fashioned Shrimp Boil with key lime dessert, reservations are recommended and the price is $40.00. The main event, “The Basket Auction” is scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m. followed by live music by Wild Cat Trio. We encourage all members and friends to put together a Basket for the auction. Donations for auction are being accepted at Lake Louise Lodge. Please come and support the Lake Louise Snow Machine Club’s annual fundraiser. This is a great way to spend a Saturday with your family and friends enjoying this beautiful area and event. Guaranteed to be fun for all...see ya there. To top this weekend off, the weather forecast looks great!!

The temperatures have remained a little chilly in the evening with temperatures dipping to minus 10. However, with these longer sunny days the day time temps warm up to the high teens to the low 20s.

Comments:

So active trapline means we canÂ’t ride in that country? So itÂ’s kind of private land but still state land? Help me understand what you are trying to lay down.. if we/I see a active trapline IÂ’m supposed to avoid 52 miles of country hmmm.. canÂ’t even travel couple miles of it to access a different area..
    Most people and almost all Alaskans that have been here 30 years or more have no problems understanding what "I'm trying to lay down". Its simply common sense, courtesy and respect of one another. Just like I have common sense to know I don't own the land, and I also have common sense that people are going to stumble, often by mistake, and travel the trails I have cut. I was simply posting a reminder that there are still people out in the area trapping. I also explained a few examples of where people showed no common sense, courtesy nor respect...
    Like others have said, use common sense. It takes a tremendous amount of work and time to maintain a trapline. And I know Steve works at it harder than most. I've talked to him on a number of occasions when he has spent well over 20 hours in a weekend maintaining and setting up traps. Perhaps you should try walking a mile in his shoes before you judge him. At least he makes an effort to create his own trails off the beaten path, even going so far as to making signs to alert others of an active trapline. Would you rather he trap close to town where he is likely to trap people's pets and give a black eye to sportsmen? It's the least you could do to turn around and try a different trail without signs. There is hundreds of miles of trails in the Lake Louise area. It's completely unnecessary to travel down an active trapline. Sure you have "the right" to take your snowmachine down an active trapline, but why be a jerk about it. You wouldn't like it if I went along your nice, groomed snowmachine trails and started dropping trees along the trail and said I have a right to cut firewood on your groomed snowmachine trail. Anarchy is not synonymous with freedom my friend. Let's use common sense and work together, not against each other.

image.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Like others have said, use common sense. It takes a tremendous amount of work and time to maintain a trapline. And I know Steve works at it harder than most. I've talked to him on a number of occasions when he has spent well over 20 hours in a weekend maintaining and setting up traps. Perhaps you should try walking a mile in his shoes before you judge him. At least he makes an effort to create his own trails off the beaten path, even going so far as to making signs to alert others of an active trapline. Would you rather he trap close to town where he is likely to trap people's pets and give a black eye to sportsmen? It's the least you could do to turn around and try a different trail without signs. There is hundreds of miles of trails in the Lake Louise area. It's completely unnecessary to travel down an active trapline. Sure you have "the right" to take your snowmachine down an active trapline, but why be a jerk about it. You wouldn't like it if I went along your nice, groomed snowmachine trails and started dropping trees along the trail and said I have a right to cut firewood on your groomed snowmachine trail. Anarchy is not synonymous with freedom my friend. Let's use common sense and work together, not against each other.
    just wondering how many people have ever stopped and ate at the Tyone Mountain Lodge? While many years ago traveling up and down the Tyone River hunting we would always stop there for their blueberry pancakes they were a real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    image.jpeg

just wondering how many people have ever stopped and ate at the Tyone Mountain Lodge? While many years ago traveling up and down the Tyone River hunting we would always stop there for their blueberry pancakes they were a real treat.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen it and even stopped at it before, but it's no longer in business right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen it and even stopped at it before, but it's no longer in business right?
    no it has been closed for years, it is located on the last narrows of Tyone lake just before the lake opens up again it is on the left hand side if you head across the last part of the lake you pass a very small island and enter the mouth of the Tyone River.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast