Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSR M4 Carbine Optics

Default MSR M4 Carbine Optics

I built a MSR Carbine .223/5.56 and I am trying to decide what Optics to put on top. I was thinking about getting a Vortex Strikefire II on it but someone mentioned that when shooting out to 100 yards the Red Dot covers a large area. So now thinking about maybe an AR Scope. Would like others ideas. I have never used a Red Dot or Holographic style sites.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    I built a MSR Carbine .223/5.56 and I am trying to decide what Optics to put on top. I was thinking about getting a Vortex Strikefire II on it but someone mentioned that when shooting out to 100 yards the Red Dot covers a large area. So now thinking about maybe an AR Scope. Would like others ideas. I have never used a Red Dot or Holographic style sites.
    How far you plan on shooting? I have both options. Each rifle is set up for different applications.
    If you only have one, look into something like the Burris AR332(I think that is what it is) or the 532 with the fast fire as well.
    My favorite set up is a luepold ar scope that is 1.5x4

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    How far you plan on shooting? I have both options. Each rifle is set up for different applications.
    If you only have one, look into something like the Burris AR332(I think that is what it is) or the 532 with the fast fire as well.
    My favorite set up is a luepold ar scope that is 1.5x4
    Probably not much more than 100 yards. I looked at the Burris, Vortex and Cabela's AR scopes. The Burris cost more than gun I built. Vortex not much better. Haven't looked at the Leupold yet .

Probably not much more than 100 yards. I looked at the Burris, Vortex and Cabela's AR scopes. The Burris cost more than gun I built. Vortex not much better. Haven't hlooked at the Leupold yet .
    Any straight 4x if your only going 100 yards. I might get poo pooed for this but I have never seen nor heard of anyone breaking a Weaver K4 scope. If you're on a pretty tight budget that's an option. I know a guy with said scope on his slug gun and he has been banging away for 20 years in all kinds of weather with nary a problem. For that matter the scope that I have had the longest and is beat to the hilt is a 4x Tasco and it is on a 22 magnum that goes to the woods when I go to the woods. It has eyeballed more game going from alive to dead than any scope I own. I bought it in the late 70s.

Put a good 1x4 socpe on it. That way you are good for close work and still able to see your target at longer distances. Do not go cheap, as you will regret it in the long run!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Put a good 1x4 socpe on it. That way you are good for close work and still able to see your target at longer distances. Do not go cheap, as you will regret it in the long run!
    He has already stated that he doesn't want to pay as much for the scope as he has invested in his gun and since he put it together himself I'm guessing he is conservative with his loot yet still wants to shoot. My tasco is 41 years old and beat to hell and has usually been on a knockaround gun that gets used a lot. It has out lasted a lot of high dollar scopes and is still going......just saying. Just trying to stay within the guys budget.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    He has already stated that he doesn't want to pay as much for the scope as he has invested in his gun .
    Where did you read that?

Probably not much more than 100 yards. I looked at the Burris, Vortex and Cabela's AR scopes. The Burris cost more than gun I built. Vortex not much better. Haven't looked at the Leupold yet .
    The luepold will be more than the vortex or Burris. I got mine from the bargain cave for $300 and it is a nice scope. Very nice. I put a strike eagle in my AR-10 and for the price, Iíve been happy. I owned a strike fire 1 many years ago, and I was able to bust wine bottles and two liter coke bottles with it at 75 yards consistently. At 100 yds, it was accurate, but it did become more of a challenge to hit bottles.

Another option is the vortex sparc. Palmetto state armory (online) runs sales in them all the time. As low as $129 and sometimes itís $199 with ten magpul mags. Bushnell makes a TR-25(I believe thatís the number) red dot that can be had for around $70 at times. Supposedly itís a great red dot.

Someone else mentioned not going cheap cheap in a red dot, and I agree. You donít need to break the bank, but a good red dot, will cost a little more. The cheaper ones have tendencies to. OT function when it gets a little rough.

Also, hit the bargain cave up at cabelas. There are some amazing deals to be had in the cave. You can also haggle
    with them a little bit.

Your intended use dictates the optic you need. If you built it for home/self defense, a red dot or irons are the way to go. If you built it for plinking or varmint hunting, a 4x would be a good choice. I use an Aimpoint Pro.. it is as bullet proof of a red-dot you can get for the price. With a 2moa dot is it more than accurate enough for coyotes out to a 100 and makes an excellent self defense optic. My wife just plinks with hers, so the Vortex Crossfire 1-4 works fine for her.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Like others have inferred, it would be helpful to know what kind of intended use you have in mind.
    At any rate, I first installed the standard luepold vx3 3x9 40mm on mine for predator hunting. I was not happy with how it felt on the gun for some reason. I guess it felt like too large and uncomfortable to see through it on the gun. So I switched to a luepold VX-R Patrol 3x9 on it w the illuminated red dot on it. I love that scope on it.
    With the exception of Home defense or super quick target acquisition, I canít for the life of me think of a reason to NOT want to bring your sight picture target bigger and more visible on your reticle. With my older eyes, this to me means zoom baby, zoom. In fact, I heard there was a vx-r luepold out that was 4x12 and I got excited to go get it. Alas, it was Not the ĎPatrolí model, which means it was not a compact model like the Patrol I own. I would love to have a 12 power... or more. I find that the 3 power setting is not TOO much zoom to hinder taking spruce hens w the 223 at 30 ft away. I would rather shoot a big looking spruce hen at 3 power than a regular sized spruce hen at 30 ft at 1x power.
    One scope I have an interest in for the AR is the Nikon 223 scope. It appears that this might be a good option. If anyone owns/uses one of these please chime in.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

I have a Millet DMS 1, 1x4-24 on my M4. If I remember right, I paid about $250 for the scope. It works just fine for my uses!

Where did you read that?
    Well post #3 states that he looked at the Burris scope and that it cost more than the gun he built. Obviously he moved on from the the Burris. I take that to mean he didn't go with the Burris because of price.

Now looking at maybe the Nikon 3-9x40 P-223. Looks like a decent scope with mostly good or great reviews. Price range between 150 to 199.

elmerkeithclone,
    I have a Tasco on my 30.06. It has been on the rifle since 1984 and is really not a bad scope. It has taken a beating Sheep hunting and moose hunting.

Yukon Cornelius,
    I
    checked out the Bargain Cave yesterday and didn't see anything. I am on a budget with fix income of VA and Military retirement, but not scared to spend some money. Heading to Europe this Summer so trying to save some money for that trip.

Now looking at maybe the Nikon 3-9x40 P-223. Looks like a decent scope with mostly good or great reviews. Price range between 150 to 199.

elmerkeithclone,
    I have a Tasco on my 30.06. It has been on the rifle since 1984 and is really not a bad scope. It has taken a beating Sheep hunting and moose hunting.

Yukon Cornelius,
    I
    checked out the Bargain Cave yesterday and didn't see anything. I am on a budget with fix income of VA and Military retirement, but not scared to spend some money. Heading to Europe this Summer so trying to save some money for that trip.
    I like that Nikon. Another option is to keep an eye on Fred Meyers. I saw that Nikon there once for $119 on sale. I had just bought my strike eagle so I didnít pick it up.

I like that Nikon. Another option is to keep an eye on Fred Meyers. I saw that Nikon there once for $119 on sale. I had just bought my strike eagle so I didnít pick it up.
    I will go to FM tomorrow and see what they have. That would be a great deal..

That Nikon P-223, 3 x 9 x 40mm scope is a winner. The optics are bright and super clear. The holdover hash marks (BDC) are calibrated for a 55 gr. projectile at standard velocity and are an added plus. I have one mounted on a POS Bushmaster I own.

For under $250 (what I paid 4 years ago) this scope and P-Series mount is a great deal for the AR.

If I was in the market for an AR carbine scope I think the Vortex Crossfire 2 has my interest. It looks like the perfect AR scope at a reasonable price point. At 1x4 24 it looks dandy, light, compact, plenty of magnification for reaching out and 1 power for close in work, perfect.

I will go to FM tomorrow and see what they have. That would be a great deal..
    I am a big Nikon fan and don't think you'll be sorry about the 3x9. I have a 3x9 on my new Ruger MPR. I through a bunch of apples on the pond and drove to the bench 250 yards away and smoked apple after apple on 9X. I think the cross hairs on a 4x would have covered those apples up at that distance!

Grumpy,

I'm a big fan of the Vortex Strikefire II combined with the VMX-3T 3X magnifier.

Best of both worlds! I also sent you a PM with more details and where you can get them both cheap.

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast