Thread: Residential refrigerator and dry camping

Default Residential refrigerator and dry camping

I am looking at buying a different motorhome and finding many of the newer coaches have full size residential refrigerators. Does anyone that does a lot of dry camping have this arrangement. How well do your batteries hold up? Do you have solar panels and how big? What do you have for a battery bank? What size motorhome do you have?

They run on propane while dry camping or can be ran with 120v if plugged in or running a generator, 12v isn't much of an issue other than control power.

Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    They run on propane while dry camping or can be ran with 120v if plugged in or running a generator, 12v isn't much of an issue other than control power.
    I know the regular RV frig runs on either propane or 120. But many of the newer RV's have a regular household frig that only run on 120.

If you dry camp much,stay with the 3 way fridge. Try reading some posts on IRV2.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    I know the regular RV frig runs on either propane or 120. But many of the newer RV's have a regular household frig that only run on 120.
    Iím surprised that is the case, but I donít doubt you. My guess is that you Iíll not be able to run a fridge very long on batteries, given that Iím assuming that the battery bank is connected to an inverter to produce 120 v ac. The calculations can be done and it isnt very much math to get you an idea of how long the fridge can run (knowing they donít run all the time). Iíd think an rv with that fridge would have a genset, but I get it if you donít want it running all the time. I have solar and a generator, but my loads are such a different scale, I canít even help. I just know it is really easy to take juice out of a battery, but hard and slow to put it back.