Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Inflatable Jet Boats coming to Alaska

Supporting Member

Default New Inflatable Jet Boats coming to Alaska

Looks like there's going to be more options for lightweight, transportable , inflatable craft in Alaska soon! SOLAR boats from Russia is going to be selling their boats in Alaska starting this spring and has began to in Alberta. They make boats from 10ft up to 20ft with built in jet tunnels. Looks like they haul quite a bit and can run in next to nothing. Should be a great fit for alaskan hunting, fishing, and recreating. They will have some boats at the Anchorage boat show later this month. I'm interested in their 420 jet tennel boat (4.2 meters. 130lbs 1700 pound capacity) the videos look promising!
    https://youtu.be/ANWYM2DbgI8

I've been eyeing these for about a year now and was wondering when/if they'd hit the AK scene without buying one from Canada or elsewhere "outside"...
    On the vid's, they "appear" too be pretty tough, lightweight, versatile, yet not as pricey as some other quality inflatables.
    And because of the prices that I've seen on other sites and the inter-web-net, it makes me question their durability/construction...
    But if they're built as tough as the Jet Ranger, and at 1/2 of the price of a JR, they will sell like hotcakes...
    I'll find a reason too have one...

The inflatable keel is what gives me the most pause...
    The vid's are neat and all, but when you're selling something, that's what they're gonna show.
    I'd love to talk too somebody who's got one and has abused it and see how she stood up..
    Maybe I'll find out at the boat show...

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    The inflatable keel is what gives me the most pause...
    The vid's are neat and all, but when you're selling something, that's what they're gonna show.
    I'd love to talk too somebody who's got one and has abused it and see how she stood up..
    Maybe I'll find out at the boat show...
    It seems like the keel would add some rigidity to the boat and divert air bubbles from the jet intake, both resulting in less cavitation. They are made of PVC and look to be well reinforced. The tunnel and transom look like they are well designed. Looks like they run pretty shallow. Can't wait to put one through the paces this spring hopefully!

Supporting Member

http://solarboat.ru/

The page translates relatively well on google. Looks like in russia they have a two year warranty. Be interesting to see how the prices come out after shipping and dealer mark up. Likely still be relatively below the competition. One way or another it's good news for consumers!

That tunnel could be a game changer right there. Even with a some keel flex, that's still quite a bit of water hitting the tunnel and not diverting around it keeping the jet full.
    MANY many years ago, the first boat I could afford was a 16' Achilles with a 50hp short shaft Johnson w/ a jet... Obviously no tunnel. But absolutely a quality inflatable boat that was in awesome condition. I'd pump up that keel to a point that I swear that it was hard as it could absolutely possibly get. Then I'd get her on step and if I hit ripples more than 4" tall or another boat passed by, she'd flex and suck air like nobody's business. It was like throwing the anchor out.
    I can't tell you how many shims I put in there to raise and lower that motor too try and get it right. I never could.
    Like I said, this tunnel may be the cat's ***!!

Supporting Member

Like you said they look impressive on the videos! Those achilles are really nice boats had a 12 ft zodiak mk something for a few years, it was a good boat. Achilles seemed like better boats, almost bought one used for 300$ last year, should've it was in great shape especially for being 20+ years old! That's the biggest gripe I've heard about the inflatables is the cavitation and I believe it. Looks like they have a good design and they have been at it since 2002. Bet the 16 achilles moved with the 50 when it wasnt sucking air! Supposedly they are pretty rigid!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sharp View Post
    Supposedly they are pretty rigid!
    With a jet, it was always a toss of the coin everytime I took her out. When it worked, oh man, she'd scoot pretty good with that little 50/35.
    I had a 40hp short shaft Tohatsu w/ a prop on it when I bought it and it would flat move, it was awesome.
    BUUUUUT, I just got tired of rototilling the river beds.. So I had too make a change for what I wanted too do.

Supporting Member

With a jet, it was always a toss of the coin everytime I took her out. When it worked, oh man, she'd scoot pretty good with that little 50/35.
    I had a 40hp short shaft Tohatsu w/ a prop on it when I bought it and it would flat move, it was awesome.
    BUUUUUT, I just got tired of rototilling the river beds.. So I had too make a change for what I wanted too do.

Translation from their page. Sounds like the floor chambers act as stiffeners runing lengthwise. Most the rivers down here in southeast are a decent trip through the salt to get to so I want something that I can transport in a skiff or larger boat then deploy to run upriver. Road trips to the yukon and north would be a bonus as well
    " Boats SOLAR have a V-shaped inflatable bottom, volumetrically pasted into the sides and nose of the boat along two lines, which gives the structure a rigidity comparable to the RIB.Stiffness of the bottom when inflating is achieved not because of pressure, but thanks to vertically and longitudinally installed bulkhead bulkheads made of fabric with zero remaining elongations"

HMMMMMMM, that's interesting, so when's that boat show again??

Supporting Member

HMMMMMMM, that's interesting, so when's that boat show again??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7zYHmTtgYg
    lol, gravel bars be darned!! looks like it runs in inches

16-18th this month!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sharp View Post
    [URL]16-18th this month!
    Well S&%*!!!!
    I'm up working till the 28th... Guess I'll miss another one....

Supporting Member

Here's a good one with a voice over in english, looks like some pretty cool people running the company. Shows the floor and some construction

I hate it when that happens, was looking forward to the banff mountain film festival, turns out is came through juneau this week. Oh well, next year

Supporting Member

Well S&%*!!!!
    I'm up working till the 28th... Guess I'll miss another one....

I don't think I'll make it up there for the show either, hopefully someone else on the forum will go and give a review of what they think.

might be a stupid question or concern, but I wear spikes on my wading boots and am concerned with puncturing the inflatable floor on this boat. Does anyone know if a hard floor insert is an option?

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by steelguy View Post
    might be a stupid question or concern, but I wear spikes on my wading boots and am concerned with puncturing the inflatable floor on this boat. Does anyone know if a hard floor insert is an option?

That's a really good question! I wear spike in my wading boots at certain times as well. I'll send an email.
    My initial thought would be to make a template of the floor and cut some epdm roofing material to fit, possibly laminate two pieces together for increased thickness. Could be easily rolled up for trans port and laid back in upon inflation. I have a large 100lb dog as well, something like this would give me more comfort with him jumping in and out, as well as gravel getting underneath fuel tanks ect. PVC seems fairly tough in general but it doesn't hurt to take some extra care!

I will be looking at the Solar boats at the boat show. I don't need a jet boat but want a reasonably priced inflatable to fish lakes and the ocean for two people and fishing gear.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    I will be looking at the Solar boats at the boat show. I don't need a jet boat but want a reasonably priced inflatable to fish lakes and the ocean for two people and fishing gear.
    They make inflatables without jet tunnels as well! Curious to hear what you think after you see them

Hello all. There has been a bit of confusion. Troy is well connected with the folks at the Solar factory and there was some miscommunication. I had hoped to keep this under wraps for another month but looks like the cat's out of the bag. My company is JETECH and I'll be at the great alaska sportsmans show with 4 different models of the jet tunnel series. We are taking pre-orders now. We are also offering combos with the 50/35 Tohatsu jet and are working on offering another package with the 25 Mercury jet. I'll be finalizing show pricing soon. If you have any questions you can email me at jetinflatables@gmail.com and I'll share my phone number etc.

This might be a bit out of line as I realize we aren't supposed to market here but I wanted to stop the misinformation so people aren't let down when we are there.

Thank you and see you at GASS

I meant when we are NOT there at the boat show this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast