Thread: Generator question?

Default Generator question?

I want to buy a small generator for a 37' 5th wheel. Will a 2000 watt be enough to run the heater, water heater, lights and refrig? Will a coffee maker and/or toaster overload it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I want to buy a small generator for a 37' 5th wheel. Will a 2000 watt be enough to run the heater, water heater, lights and refrig? Will a coffee maker and/or toaster overload it?
    Proably notif they are all running. Remember the battery charger/converter will be running also. If you run the water heater and fridge on gas, then yes. You coffee and toaster will be way over the top in my opinion.

I seriously doubt it.....I have a 6kw gennie and a 32' 1997 bumper pull, and if everything's running ( fridge, lights, 2 water heaters, battery charger, furnace), the microwave won't even crank enough to heat anything....
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Run the water heater and Fridge on Propane. They are more economical to run that way, and with them on propane a 2000 will handle the rest of your load just fine. Just don't try to run a blow dryer, curling iron and coffee pot at the same time!

It all depends on what you have. Look at the nameplate data on everything you want to power, if the combined wattage adds up to more than 2000 then you can't run them all at the same time. Most generators are labeled at their max output so a 2000 watt generator won't give you 2000 watts all the time. The 2000 watt honda I have has a rated output of 1600 watts, the reason for a max output and a rated output is that on startup electric devices draw more amps to get things started, you will trip your generator if you run it loaded higher than the rated output for an extended time or over the max output for any amount of time. Amps x voltage = watts so you want to look at the whole picture before buying a generator. Heaters generally use a lot more amps than any other load which will use up your available watts, a coffee maker and a toaster are nothing more than task specific heaters. Chances are a 2000 watt generator could run any of those devices alone, or even a combination of a few of them, but won't run all of them at once.
    "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

I don't think so. I have a friend that uses one and when the wife has the hair drier going, microwave on and lights and such it frequently trips. Do you have air conditioning too? Maybe, if you can remember to monitor exactly what is running and as others said, refrigerator and water heater on propane it might do. I use a Honda, 1000 but it is just me and I don't use the micro and everything else is on propane.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Huge difference between what a Honda 1000 can run and a 2000. I've had both. I'll never own another 1000. The have their place. My parents love theirs and have for the better part of 20 yrs and still going strong. But the a1k just isn't enough just for me. The 2k seems so much more capable. Just as quiet. Almost as small and still has incredible fuel economy.

Get the 2000. Itís a great little suitcase genny. Our microwave will trip it at times but only when batteries are low and charging or something else is on. For the most part itís a perfect size unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Start with one of the 2000 Honda generators, but get the ones that can be tied together. See how it handles the loads you expect. If it is not enough, get a second one and the inter connection cable kit. That would give you the extra boost when you may need it and go back to the single when you do not. I know people who have done this with there Class C motor homes.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Start with one of the 2000 Honda generators, but get the ones that can be tied together. See how it handles the loads you expect. If it is not enough, get a second one and the inter connection cable kit. That would give you the extra boost when you may need it and go back to the single when you do not. I know people who have done this with there Class C motor homes.
    ^^^...that's what my RVng colleagues in Ewe-stun (TX) did. They would use propane for the WH and sometimes the fridge, but this setup even allowed their smaller AC to run as needed.
    Back in AK

I have a Honda 2,000 that works great. The water heater pulls a lot of power. You can run all the items you mentioned alone, but I have to turn off the water heater when I run microwave and make coffee. Air Conditioner would pop the generator breaker above 3,500 ft. When you say heater are you talking just running the fan for the gas heater?
    DENNY

Thanks for all the responses. I should have said (on the OP) that the frig & water heater would be run on propane when using the genny. Sounds like the Honda 2K will be my starting place.

Thanks for all the responses. I should have said (on the OP) that the frig & water heater would be run on propane when using the genny. Sounds like the Honda 2K will be my starting place.
    You will not regret this. Many many many of us doing just this.

Has not been mentioned yet so I will chime in. I have been a long time rv owner. This question comes up a lot. I have recently sold my motor home and bought a boat........but when I buy my next rv I will do things a wee bit different. With a 37 foot fifth wheel you have lots of room for a good size battery bank. 4 or 6 6 volt batteries. I would be installing a 3500 watt pure sine wave inverter and buy a Honda 1000. The Honda 1000 would strictly run a separate 4 stage battery charger. All house loads (micro wave, coffee maker and toaster would be run via the inverter) not alll at the same time though.

benefits to this are you can use any of theses appliances at anytime with out genset running ( real convenient at night)
    genset only runs once a day for a few hours to charge batteries. Run time can be offset with a good solar set up

negatives to this set up is cost. Will probably be double the cost.

just another option

Anyone know what the deal is with these 2 generators that look exactly the same but with different names? I have the Smarter Tools one from Costco and the company says they cannot provide parts because of the hurricane that hist Houston. Hmm. Also caution that if you need engine parts like a fuel bowl gasket, you cannot get them from Yamaha. It may be a Chinese knock-off.

http://www.usesmartertools.com/AP-2000i.html

http://www.a-ipower.com/product/sc20...ter-generator/