Thread: Pioneer X Stream

Default Pioneer X Stream

Has anyone used a Pioneer X Stream inflatable raft, I am looking to buy one for moose float hunts but need to know if they are worth the money.

Welcome to the forum! I'd love to see some field reports on them too, came close to buying one at Sportsman's Warehouse a couple years ago.

I bought a legend raft from Larry last spring. That as I'm sure you know is the size smaller then the pioneer. I should say at this point I'm no rafting expert but I did a fair amount of research and like anything with boats there is not one that's going to work perfectly in all situations. So for me the legend checked a lot of boxes and I pulled the trigger. Doing day floats in preparation for a fall hunt I was pleased with the rafts handling on class I and II water. My fall moose hunt was planned for me and two others who would be in hard shell kayaks. So I would have the gear and we were limited to one moose if any. We were fortunate and killed a bull and on the float out I took all of camp and the entire moose. I did not weigh everything when I got back but I'm sure I was a bit overloaded. The big challenge on the way out was shallow water and sweepers. I had made a set of oar locks and was glad I had them no way a kayak paddle would have handled that loaded boat. I was very pleased with the raft and look forward to getting out in the spring on the river. I know less about posting on forums then I do about rafts but if I can I'll post a picture of the loaded raft on the float out.

Default Loaded legend

IMG_0435.jpgThat's camp and one bull

Quote Originally Posted by div116 View Post
    Has anyone used a Pioneer X Stream inflatable raft, I am looking to buy one for moose float hunts but need to know if they are worth the money.
    You need to clarify. If you are asking whether they are well made and work well, I would say absolutely. One could argue the merits of PVC vs Urethane, but at this price point, the PVC is hard to beat. I have the Levitator, and it's a fantastic tool. In addition, Larry stands behind his rafts 110%.
    Whether shelling out the cash to get into float hunting is worth it, that's something only you can answer.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by sunk View Post
    IMG_0435.jpgThat's camp and one bull
    I bought a legend and intended on using it last fall but didnt. I took it out for a test trip and all but threw the oars and oar locks away. How in the world can you row with the oar handles hitting each other. I found it much easier to use a kayak paddle. I see the antlers but where is the moose? Im curious as to where people put meat on these because i plan on putting a moose in mine and didnt know the best way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    I bought a legend and intended on using it last fall but didnt. I took it out for a test trip and all but threw the oars and oar locks away. How in the world can you row with the oar handles hitting each other. I found it much easier to use a kayak paddle. I see the antlers but where is the moose? Im curious as to where people put meat on these because i plan on putting a moose in mine and didnt know the best way to do it.
    You should be able to adjust the oar shafts so the handles don't hit each other. Ideal spacing is about shoulder-width apart. That gives you a nice, straight pull on the oars when you're back-rowing as you drift downstream.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Mike. I feel like if i do that I'll have 8.5 feet of oar outside of the boat and 1.5 feet inside of the boat. Not much leverage.

Thanks Mike. I feel like if i do that I'll have 8.5 feet of oar outside of the boat and 1.5 feet inside of the boat. Not much leverage.
    Yep. That's the main issue with rowing a very narrow boat. Yak paddle will work, but you won't have as much control. One option might be to get some clamp-on counterweights and place them inboard of your oarlocks.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

They make shorter oar shafts (least they did). I started rafting with a jacks plastic cutthroat cat that was about 46inch wide overall and they came with 6.5 or 7ft shaft if I recall. I still have them but have since widened the frame and put 1ft extensions on them.

Try tilting the angle of your oar locks outward about 15 degrees on each side of the raft. If your oars are crossing and you're out of adjustment for the oar rights on the shaft, it's likely the angle of your oar locks....

Your oar length should be 7.5'
    https://pristineventures.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    Try tilting the angle of your oar locks outward about 15 degrees on each side of the raft. If your oars are crossing and you're out of adjustment for the oar rights on the shaft, it's likely the angle of your oar locks....

Your oar length should be 7.5'
    Thanks for chiming in on this, Larry! Spot on and much appreciated...

-Mike