Thread: 1st time baiting Alaska

Default 1st time baiting Alaska

Howdy,

Planning to bait this year. It will be my first time baiting in Alaska. I baited 25 years ago in Washington before they outlawed it.

I have a couple of questions on locations. I have done quite a bit of hunting up here over the last 20 years so finding the bears is really not the issue or techniques.

My big issue is baiting and getting away from people so I am not stacked on someone else's bait. I plan to do it with my boat off one of the rivers here in the valley probably and walk in.

Since fish and game makes you tell them EXACTLY where you are at I called and asked a few questions today and the guy said there is a lot of baiters and he didn't think I would get away from people. I also asked if they could share where everyone is at since your required to tell them and they did say no to that. Makes sense but worth asking if they want all of our info.

So what's the trick to not being stacked on someone?

Nothing replaces actual time spent in the field. And just when you think you found the perfect spot and are all alone, someone else will come in and squat on top of you. Just remember this. If you can get to your tree stand. So can someone else.

As for the valley, I am not to sure on where everyone is stacked up...on the peninsula however...

Avoid Turnagain Pass. I donít bait here but members on this forum do. I think from Ingram creek to about 2 miles up the pass the troopers said there were 43 bait stations.

Snug harbor road is another hotspot on the peninsula. Always lots of cars parked there cold baiting season.

I have had two bait stations on the peninsula. One spot is so obvious and youíd be surprised no one else is baiting around there but itís just a little loophole in the rules.

The second spot i had setup last year I had baited the previous year with no one around...cleared the little backroad a little better with a chainsaw this past year and wouldnít ya know it! Someone set up less than 100yards from me and mothballed the hell out of my site Iím assuming( he was always hit, and I never was all season).

What kind of boat do you have? Youíre on the right track...if you can get two modes of transportation in between you and your site you narrow a lot of people down. For example truck then boat. Plane then boat. Boat then hiking. Atv then boat etc etc...there are a lot of rivers a lot of overlooked spots.

Do your homework on whatís around the area. Who owns what land, and when you think youíre legal call the troopers, give them the coordinates and get them to essentially sign off that THAT SPECIFIC LOCATION is legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    So what's the trick to not being stacked on someone?
    The rivers are getting busier every year. Be prepared too go the extra mile if need be.
    I once knew a guy who lived in Anchorage and he baited way up passed Petersville. He'd hit that bait 3-4 times a week if need be.
    How ambitious are you willing too be?
    If you're not getting a warm n fuzzy due too lots of boat traffic, if you can stick a wheeler in your boat, that could possibly be a game changer.

Only real way to insure so is to do some scouting of the area you're interested in and get far off the "beaten path". Farther and more PITA it is to access an area the less likely you'll have neighbors at the cost of time and convenience. Area we bait in we usually have to hike in parts of early season as the water levels are too low to get the boat to the area than still hike into the woods to the stand. I can say that I never had to deal with any other baiters and/or human activity near any of my sites through the years.

If I can have my own area, great, but if someone sets up too close to me, I just try and out bait them (offer more of what the bears prefer, than what they are offering) and their bears will come to you.

I use to be bothered when someone set up too close to me and was really p*ed, I mean annoyed when an outfitter put his bait (not Alaska) 90 yds from me and refused to budge. It turned out that what I was offering the bears as bait, was way better than what he was offering, because the success on my site went up 100%.

Bearbob

^^^That's probably the best outcome if sticking around after getting crowded on...^^^