Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 2018 Hunting Pictures

  1. #1
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,694

    Default 2018 Hunting Pictures

    Well...I just got back from a muskox hunt on Nunivak Island. Thought I'd post pictures to get the 2018 thread started.

    Muskox 1.jpgMuskox 2.jpg

    Brett

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Nice musk ox! Who did you use for a transporter and what were the costs? This will be good information for those wanting to do this hunt in the future as I believe many underestimate total cost involved to hunt Nunivak until they draw the permit and start planning.

  4. #4
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Nice musk ox! Who did you use for a transporter and what were the costs? This will be good information for those wanting to do this hunt in the future as I believe many underestimate total cost involved to hunt Nunivak until they draw the permit and start planning.
    Thanks Nick! I'll put together a quick report with pictures, gear, and logistics, so people know.

    Brett

  5. #5
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    I'm going to try posting pictures from a third party hosting site....bear with me....







    Brett

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Congrats Brett! Such an interesting and ancient animal. A hunt of a lifetime for sure sir. I'm curious about the meat, i.e., taste, toughness, etc.

  7. #7
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    9,308

    Default

    Love the ox! Is he right on the coast? Musk ox is a dream animal of mine, but nunivak is outa reach cost wise for me. Need to try and play the Nelson island game.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  8. #8
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Congrats Brett! Such an interesting and ancient animal. A hunt of a lifetime for sure sir. I'm curious about the meat, i.e., taste, toughness, etc.
    Fantastic taste! Big old bulls are tough though. Crockpot, Instant Pot, Pressure cooker is in order unless you can age it.

    Brett

  9. #9
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Love the ox! Is he right on the coast? Musk ox is a dream animal of mine, but nunivak is outa reach cost wise for me. Need to try and play the Nelson island game.
    Yep. I just posted a hunt report to highlight among other things the cost. It's REALLY spendy!

    Brett

  10. #10
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,489

    Default


    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  11. #11
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    9,308

    Default

    Hey TW at least it wasn’t windy!! Ha congrats to your boy what a great memory!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  12. #12
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Hey TW at least it wasn’t windy!! Ha congrats to your boy what a great memory!
    Uh huh, first day it was gusting to 40. it was nice enough to lay down to 25 knots the day we got it. Kid made a heck of a shot, I will do a trip report soon.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    I'm interested in his parka, what kind? Did you put the ruff on?

  14. #14
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    I'm interested in his parka, what kind? Did you put the ruff on?
    Its a parka that our guys wear on the drill rigs on the slope. Extremely warm!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  15. #15

    Default

    You guys are killing me with those musk ox photos. I really want to do this hunt some day. Looks like a blast. I bet the meat tastes amazing too!

  16. #16
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    10,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Its a parka that our guys wear on the drill rigs on the slope. Extremely warm!
    Are they down or poly filled?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •