Thread: 30.30 for spring Black Bear

Default 30.30 for spring Black Bear

What are your thoughts on a 30. 30 winchester for spring black bear. I prefer spot and stock.

Will it kill them? Yes.
    Are there better options? Yes.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Over the years I've been with dozens of people on their first black bear hunts in the spring. About half of those are gun hunters. We rarely have a shot over 25 yards and I've seen the .30-30 work just fine every single time with cheap round nose ammo. It works well and I would use it if it was what I had. Are there better rounds??? Most certainly, but the 30-30 it will get it done. Personally, I push people towards a shotgun slug (foster type) for this same hunt if they are on the fence about what to use.

If you're planning on shooting a lot more distance with a spot and stalk hunt, I would try go with something else if its available. If not, use the 30-30 you have available. Shot placement is more important than the size and speed of the bullet. If using a 30-30 makes it more of a challenge for you, definitely go for it then.

I met an old guy from AK about 10 years ago and he swore that every moose and bear he's ever killed were with a 30-30. He bragged it was the only rifle he'd ever owned. It works for some people.

Will work just fine but know your limits
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

A .308 caliber bullet has been killing all sorts of North American big game since it first showed up. Nosler makes a 170 grain Partition and Barnes makes a 150 grain X bullet for the 30-30. If you keep the shots as close as possible, under 100 yards, a heart lung shot will kill any bear.

Are you using iron sights or an optic of some type? I never preferred a scope on a lever action rifle that had a tubular magazine, but many want one.

Yes, there are more versatile calibers and rifles for hunting bears, but use what you want.

A guy and his family lived in wild British Columbia for many years. He was walking on a salmon stream one day when the big grizzly bear charged and he put a 30-30 bullet into the bears head at about 3' and it was over. That bear stayed in the #2 spot for grizzlies for many years.

I have always wanted an old Winchester Mod. 94 30-30, but kept wanting other things more. But some day.......

An old First Nation fellow worked for my dad for many years on our remote ranch in northern BC. All he carried was a rusted up model 94. I remember one Christmas my dad gave him a brand new Parker Hale 30-06. He hung it up in his cabin and thats where it stayed. I wouldnt want to guess how many black bears I personally saw that man kill with the 30-30, but it was more than most guys will kill in their lifetime. Saw him kill moose and grizzly with it too. He was by far the best hunter I've ever had the opportunity to hunt with, and he could shoot too, so that helped.

If you can close the distance...the 30WCF will do the trick just like it's done for 120+ years.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I do have a .300 win Mag it is sighted for 200 grain core locks. I want to use the 30.30 for nostalgia purposes, I have one that was my grandfathers and another that was my Father in-laws.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    What are your thoughts on a 30. 30 winchester for spring black bear. I prefer spot and stock.
    I know people on POW Island that like 30-30's for blackies. Bruce Jonstone was trapping in the misty fjords wilderness in the 1920's at the ripe old age of 12 with a 30-30, he took plenty of brownies. He eventually got larger caliber rifles and at one point was mauled while carrying a larger caliber rifle....point being it's probably just fine for the job, awareness and shot placement matter more than anything else. Also 30-30 94's are my favorite rifle so I'm biased, however I've only shot blacktails with my 30-30. Never lost one with the 94, lost one with my 06 and 180grns again, shot placement.

My wife used her dads 30-30 for her first couple bears. One bear she shot in the chest while facing her and I found the bullet under the skin in the hind quarter so it has plenty of penetration, of course that bear was less than 6 yards from her but the 30-30 is just fine but its not a long range gun.

Banned

Knockdown power is the only thing that matters. Put a Kevlar blanket over the animals, if the bullet knocks down the animal, then you got yourself knockdown power.

Quote Originally Posted by ol whatshisface View Post
    Knockdown power is the only thing that matters. Put a Kevlar blanket over the animals, if the bullet knocks down the animal, then you got yourself knockdown power.

That was the first
    Post you’ve made that carries a complete thought all the way through!! And it was funny!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Banned

The ole' cowboy gun. What's not to love about jacking that lever action and putting bullets in the right spot? Hell, I can shoot from the hip accurately with one of those bad boys.