Thread: Alaskan's ARE Definately Different

Default Alaskan's ARE Definately Different

Wasn't sure where to start this thread but seeing the hunting forum seems to get the most activity I started it here. Please feel free to move it to another forum if need be.
    Anyhow, as I'm sitting here eating my oatmeal and raisons, I'm still trying to wrap my head around something that happened to me. I started a thread in the shooting forum looking for feedback on a "cheap" spotter for seeing bullet holes in paper at 100 yds. which some of you may have seen. A gentleman with a user name of AKBEE (aka Brian) responded in a post that he had a Burris in excellent condition that he didn't need and offered it to me. Reluctantly, I accepted his offer.
    Well the spotter arrived yesterday and it's WAY more than I expected. After a little research I determined it was a 18-45x60 Burris Signature in the case and it is "like new"!!!
    The part I'm having such a hard time with is, how or why would a person give (and ship for free) a COMPLETE stranger such an item and expect NOTHING in return? Little does he know somehow, someway this gracious act of kindness will be returned someway, somehow!!!!
    If this is the way you Alaskan's are, I now know that I'm DEFINATELY living in the wrong part of this country!!!!! For more reasons than one!!! I may never relocate to Alaska but you can be sure it's on my list of places to go (hopefully before the good Lord takes me) either to hunt, fish or just see the natural beauty and meet some fine people like Brian!!! Jeff

Thereís people in these forums that have done random acts of kindness for me and my family as well. My wife just shakes her head and wonders where I meet people like this. Meeting good people are a blessing to our lives, Alaska has some great ones. Most
    Of us share a common interest and are here as a band of brothers of sorts. A lot of us grew up sharing provisions, sharing meat or firewood. Cultivating that into our children will keep this place great.
    Love your story thanks for sharing. Someday. Pay it forward. Itís your turn.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have shared with others and others have shared with me. I know the things going both ways are done from the heart and many here really care for each other without ever meeting.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well done OUGHTSIX to pause and highlight an act of goodness...and you are correct sir...there are many good people up here. I do feel so fortunate to have lived here for over thirty years.

I'm confident there are good people everywhere...as well as not so good people, everywhere.

Love it. Thank you for sharing that story, and thanks to AKBEE for representing Alaskans so well.

Some complain about the negativity that can rear its head from time to time on these forums, but for the most part it is interactions like the one described here that I've experienced. I've had many people who were previously strangers crash on my couch, and they in many cases have become friends. I've had forum members I've never met offer help in the field, and I've done the same for others. There's a bit of heat here from time to time, but man, there's so much more light when you dig beneath the surface a bit.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Most all of us who regularly "meet up here" share a common love for God's Creation and we are thankful for it and charged with being good stewards of it.

I think what you experienced is a natural "bearing and sharing of fruit" from one such person to another.

An old deceased Alaskan miner and Sourdough from the Talkeetna area named Jim Beaver explained it to me this way.

He said if your partners pack is heavy and wearing him down, take some of the load for him, he called it "The Majesty of the Country".

Thanks for sharing the story. We received something similar from EKC when he sent us a bunch of brass and dies for a 338-06 project for my Grandson.

Elmerkeithclone did the same thing for me, knew I needed some Redhawk grips, didn't need his, so sent them to me for free including postage... And he's not in Alaska!

Good people still exist in the lower 48 too
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We might fight and bicker amongst ourselves but Heaven help you if you come between us.

Great story, good of you to share.

I used to work with AKBEE Brian years ago. He absolutely is a class act. Here's a shocker, he makes his living helping people too. I too want to thank you for the positive story. I have had a decidedly negative day and this really helped make my day better. Well done.

Thank you for the kind words- I am glad it worked out Jeff! I am fortunate in life to live where I want to be, have the best wife in the world, and to be able to make a living doing what I love to do. I have lived I'm many countries and country folk are generally the same everywhere...help out when you can. When you visit this amazing place, know that you have an invitation to float/fish my favorite valley stream. We are all strangers till we meet! LOL.

smarion is one of the guys in a helicopter transporting critical patients so please take a moment and appreciate those who care for others. Y'all stay safe!

Thank you all for being on the forums and for letting me learn from your sharing knowledge and experiences.

Doesn't surprise me. My first trip, the thing my wife and I noticed is that everyone was nice. I'm sure there are plenty of Butt-heads but in general most are genuine helpful caring individuals. I have received more help and kindness from so many members here the list is long and distinguished. And thanks again to all those that have helped me and the wife. That is one of the many reasons that we finally made the move here.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

My wife and I now have a number of great friends that were a result of this forum and peoples willingness to embrace strangers. It's a great feeling to know people like that are out there.

Well dang! Just when I was feeling old and grouchy, along comes a story that makes me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I have shared with others and others have shared with me. I know the things going both ways are done from the heart and many here really care for each other without ever meeting.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmiganted View Post
    Well dang! Just when I was feeling old and grouchy, along comes a story that makes me smile.
    LOL, thats why I visit this site