Thread: How is this for a track?

Default How is this for a track?

Now this snowmachine track must be set up for that deep powder snow flotation, any thoughts?

image.jpg

It is called, Porting a track, You would actually loose some of your flotation, you have holes in your track This was done by some Mt. guys, shaving every ounce of weight off there machines. The thought, it was less mass rotation and rolling resistance, less air resistance in the tunnel = more track speed, Also they thought it would help with less snow build up= less weight. Con's, it would certainty comprise track integrity, and lose your ability to go over any water and if you got any kind of stick in there you rip your track in a instant.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNYgZM0CL9U
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

I did the whole ported track thing when it was common to do so. Like said above it was more hype than fact. IMO the down side is that they are HORRIBLE at running on open water if that is an issue for you. Most don't run on water so they don't care. Never really saw any premature track wear because of the porting. And the gains in the powder were minimal... I wouldn't go out today and buy one or port my own. Flipside if I needed a replacement track and someone was selling one cheap I'd scoop it up and run it.

Skidoo actually had a factory ported track for a short time period.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Rode a borrowed machine "back in the day" for a few days with a ported (we called it "notched" back then) track. This was long before "mountain" sleds were a distinct market segment, but it was a long-for-back-in-the-day track with relatively powerful LC engine.

Suffice to say that, at best, it performed neutral in powder. Absolutely stunk on the water and if the sled hadn't just about straddled the creeks we had to cross, it would have been all over.

Then, to top it off, on the last day, going through the puckerbrush just short of the cabin, got a root through a hole. The root broke and the track itself was OK but it busted a couple of bushings and "egged out" a few idler wheel mounts.

I'm sure they're a good spare track or better than nothing, but I'd have to get a real aggressive $$ deal to even contemplate one now.
    Back in AK

They may be good for racing where weight and acceleration count, but in the real world ported tracks aren't that great. As AKDoug said, Skidoo had them on the Summits for a couple of years (around 2010) but went back to regular tracks because the ported ones just didn't cut it.

I also forgot that Polaris had their own version on the RMK PROs..
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Borrowed a sled with a ported track once. When you gave it gas that thing sunk in the powder like you were using a cheese grater. I didnít like it at all.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212