Thread: DB250 Kodiak brown bear Spiridon

Default DB250 Kodiak brown bear Spiridon

I waited to write this up because It's winter now and there's very few hunting stories being posted this time of year. Plus I'm tired of reading about all the yeti's lol.
    I'll start off with a little backstory.
    I grew up in WA camping, bird hunting and steelheading but have only been big game hunting 12-14 times over the last 10yrs. Never successful but put many friends on deer and bear. Hunting Brown Bear on Kodiak never seemed to be something I'd have a chance to do. The cost as a non resident is more than what I could afford and being cheap and all if I could I don't know if I would or not.
    My Work transferred me to Alaska in Jan 2015 after years of me asking to come up here. Shortly after I moved here I found this website and started reading and researching the regs.
    Once the draw supplement came out I knew what I wanted to apply for. I based most of my choices from advice I got here. The hunt I chose was DB250 Spiridon Bay. This hunt had a low number of applicants, along with a low success rate. I didn't think the first time I applied for tags I would win one.
    When I found out the results I had roughly 14 months to plan. My first call was to my brother asking if he wanted to join me. He's as comfortable/confident in the woods as I am but has no hunting experience. Over the next 6-12 months or so I was calling and emailing the guides in the area, biologist and Seahawk Air. Once the date got closer Roland called me a few times to update me on the ice on the lakes on landing spots. I had to arrange an extra flight, dates and times changed and the people that were hunting with me changed as well. My brother was only available to travel for 9 days so I asked everyone else I knew and offered a free trip to Kodiak. A friend of mine from the east coast said he come out for the time my brother wasn't there.

Once I had everything loaded up in the truck I drove down to Homer to catch the ferry to Kodiak. My first stop was to fish and game to get my tags and then I headed over to the nearest bar. I had a few hours before my bro arrived. I drove over to the airport and they were just unloading. My brother arrived but his bags didn't. Due to a full flight they made him check his bag. After talking with Ravn Air they said they would try to make sure his bag was on the next flight. This was kind of issue as our flight with Seahawk was first thing in the morn and there was only 1 flight from them. I must say they were not helpful at all with the situation. We went to the best western for a room and figured if his bag didn't come in we could still do the trip because I brought a ton of extra for me and him. I over packed because I knew I could leave stuff in my truck if needed. In the end it all worked out and his bag arrived later that night.

We woke up and drove to Seahawk air. They asked if we didn't mind waiting a few hours because the tides were not in our favor. We had no problem and ended up helping the other hunters load up the plane. While doing that my bro kept asking if we had enough gear. The other group had a boat/raft, motor, 2 coolers, chairs etc and 4 cases of beer. It kind of got me worried a little but I knew we had everything we needed.

Once they left we gathered our gear and brought it to the scale. Jo came over and said "where's the rest of your gear, we need to weight it all". I told her that was all of it and she looked puzzled. We put everything on the scale including my bro and I and all of our gear was 649 lbs. I'm 6'3 220 and bro is 6'1 260. I thought that 85lbs of gear each was fairly heavy but I guess not.

I've never been in a plane this small before so I called shotgun, since I was paying for trip my bro didn't have a choice lol. It was a good flight Roland flew us around Munsey lake. That is where we planned on hunting from but after a few passes Roland didn't think it was a good idea. The ice didn't look soli enough to land. So we headed to the mouth of the river and out of nowhere we took a hard left and dropped a few hundred feet. Roland was looking around to see if we could land at the mouth. He said he could but he offered to fly us towards Telrod cove to check a few other spots. Once we came back around he asked where we wanted to go and I just said the spot right in front of looks good. It ended up being about halfway between Telrod cove and the mouth of the river.

Once in the beach we unloaded and decided we need to look around for a good place to camp and where to get some water. After hiking around we settled on a spot right where we landed. During the search we found roughly 15-20 deer carcasses. The ret of the day we relaxed after setting up camp and figured out where we go the day.

Morning came around and we headed out. We walked along the beaches as it was the easiest way to travel. We quickly learned that we needed to watch the tides and if we wanted to go back to base camp we needed to head back when the tide went out again otherwise it would have been a long hike back. The tide came and went and we decided to check out the other side of where we set up camp. After about a mile of walking I see tracks in the sand. We figured it had to have been by in the last 24hrs since it wasn't washed away. There was a nice rock outcropping that was a great spot to glass from. We could get to the spot with or without the tides in our favor.

The next morning we woke up early to our spot. The first two hours we saw 5-10 deer on the beach in front of us. Then my bro spotted a bear about 3 miles away up the mountain. He disappeared after about 10 minutes of watching. I wanted to go up after him, it was still early in day but I had to talk my bro into it. He wasn't to sure about getting up there and was quite hesitant. He wanted to wait for the bear to come out on the beach. So after discussing we decided to wait it out as it was only the first day and head up depending on what we saw the rest of the day. I agreed and after about 20 minutes I see another bear. A different one about 4 miles away up the mountain. This one was huge I could only see his face but after a few minutes he stood up and gave us a good view. I was excited I said let's go , my bro still hesitant wasn't sure. I told him that we came to hunt and if that's where the bears are then that's where we need to go. After going back and forth we decided to give it one more day before we made our way up the mountain. He wasn't sure about spiking out and wasn't comfortable yet. Given it was still early I was trying to keep him happy but still pushing to go up. Since he was there for 4 more days he was able to talk me into one more day at the glassing spot then if nothing we go up. The rest of the day we didn't see anything other than a beaver that was really pissed we were there.

The next morning we woke up early and set up at our spot. A bunch more deer showed up but still no bears down low. The spot we were on was a nice incline. We could lay down comfortably and look up at the side of mountain. All off sudden my bro nudges me and says "there's a bear right in front of us". I was busy looking up so I tilted my binos and saw him 20yds out walking directly at us. He had no idea we were there. I immediately and slowly grab my 338 with 250g buffalo bore, line up my shot and pull the trigger. There was no time to really gauge how big he was and scaring him away didn't seem like a good idea. There was a trail right by us that we think he was headed to. Either way the first bullet went in around his neck/shoulder and out his back left side just hitting his knee. The bear made a big left turn and ran back into a little cove he came from. I managed to get two more shots off as he ran but I don't think I hit either one. We get up and go to the end of the outcropping, we can hear the bear moving around and groaning, then he appears on the far hillside of the cove, I fire a shot. That one stopped him and went in just behind shoulder and out the other side. The bear dropped off the hill and we came down to the beach. He was still moving around a little and tried climbing up the other side, another shot and he stopped.

It took me a bit to skin and flesh him out. While doing so another hunter on a boat came by. He was on his second to last day and only saw this bear a week earlier and one other that he couldn't connect on. I sent a text to Jo and she said they could pick us up the next night.

The next morning we heard about 9 shots from where we harvested my bear. Although we didn't check it out we think another bear came down and the other hunter took him.

Later that day Roland picked us up. My bro changed his flight and headed home. I went to Ravn's freight service with the hide to send to my wife so she could get it to Jesse at Dahlbergs taxidermy. The rep assured me the hide could be picked up an hour or so after arriving in Anchorage. This was Sunday and I asked if they were open. It turns they were closed. I was ticked because Ravn said she could pick it up. I asked my wife to just wait at Ravn, there were cars parked out front of office and by chance maybe someone could help her. It didn't take long but she was able to get hide and dropped it off at taxidermy.

I drove to the ferry office and asked about switching my ride to Homer. The lady at the counter said I was lucky I came in, the ferry broke down and they were rebooking a bunch of reservations. She said if I waited my truck may have been stuck on Kodiak until late May (3 weeks).

My reservation was for a few days later so I basically drove and camped all over Kodiak while I waited.

I'll post more pics soon. Need to resize them.

Great writeup. I'm sure your brother's eyes were wide open seeing the Bear that close.
    What is the white streak across your rug ?

Sunlight shining through window

Good story, thanks for posting it.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Any numbers on that bear?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

It's about 6'3.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
    It's about 6'3.
    Is that a typo? What was the skull size on it?
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Is that a typo? What was the skull size on it?

No typo, roughly 6ft 3in, skull measured 20-21inches if I remember right.

Lol ok sorry. Thanks for the info. Hard to tell with a rug on the wall.
    Master guide 212

No worries. It was hard for me to tell how big it was when it appeared it 20yds. Seemed bigger until we walked up on it. We assumed the tracks we saw the day before were his and figured he was 7-8ft.

After guiding bear hunters for 40 years,I always found it difficult to estimate size at close range, ( probably exacerbated by the fact that due to the close range,decision had to be made quickly). I always felt more confident in my decision after viewing the bear at a distance through the spotting scope and being able to study his anatomy and movements thoroughly. Thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like a learning experience and a hunt you and your brother will talk about for years to come