Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Look close at the photo........

Quote Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
    im sticking to my answer, especially with your other thread about tracks. Are you asking because it looks like a grizz paw but has a black arm/leg?
    Your getting there. I found four problems.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    All I can say is look close. When I first seen the photo there were several things that I found weird. I tried to point them out, and about thirty people said I was full of crap. It ended up with even a Wildlife Biologist saying I was full of crap, and there was in his opinion zero wrong with the photo. At some point I said, OK, "I quit, and I am done with this thread, and never coming back". After some time I started to wonder if I was seeing stuff that was not there, and that is why I posted the photo here.
    The photo in the ad, linked to in the OP, is of a guy sitting on a ridge pretending to be looking through a spotting scope. Seems a pretty unremarkable, obviously staged photo. The second photo in post #11 is different, but whatever your issue is with it, I guess I don't see it. Here's a link to an article with the pic of the black bear which seems to be at the heart of the question (?).. Maybe that will help (?). http://www.bergerbullets.com/len-backus-black-bear/
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Well I guess it was just me......seeing things. Several things jumped out at me.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The photo in the ad, linked to in the OP, is of a guy sitting on a ridge pretending to be looking through a spotting scope. Seems a pretty unremarkable, obviously staged photo. The second photo in post #11 is different, but whatever your issue is with it, I guess I don't see it. Here's a link to an article with the pic of the black bear which seems to be at the heart of the question (?).. Maybe that will help (?). http://www.bergerbullets.com/len-backus-black-bear/

Well I guess it was just me......seeing things. Several things jumped out at me.
    I'm not a bear expert, and would defer to those with greater experience.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I'm not a bear expert, and would defer to those with greater experience.

Well.......they sure convinced me, I don't know spit about bears. They even had a professional Wildlife Biologist say, there is nothing wrong with the photo.

And where the hell is Jake.

Heís wondering why heís reading this thread. Lol Iím looking at the picture but donít know anything about it. Not a great photo hard to say if itís a Grizz or black bear based on the photo. Funny shaped pad and appears to be some
    Claws absent. Otherwise Iím unsure what has caught your eye?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Heís wondering why heís reading this thread. Lol Iím looking at the picture but donít know anything about it. Not a great photo hard to say if itís a Grizz or black bear based on the photo. Funny shaped pad and appears to be some
    Claws absent. Otherwise Iím unsure what has caught your eye?
    Here is what I see. White or light cream colored Pads and Toes. I've skinned a lot of bears and none had white pads.

There is "NO" leg. It looks like the chest of a Black Bear, and the bear is on its back and the head is held up. Someone changed the Black Bear head, for a Brown Bear paw. The paw has no leg.

Someone changed the "Black or Dark Brown'ish-black" paws to White.

Black Bears generally don't have white or ivory color claws.

If it is a Black Bear paw.......It is a nine foot plus Black Bear with brown hair on the paw.

There are other issues......But I need to leave. Will post more later.

Here is what I see. White or light cream colored Pads and Toes. I've skinned a lot of bears and none had white pads.

There is "NO" leg. It looks like the chest of a Black Bear, and the bear is on its back and the head is held up. Someone changed the Black Bear head, for a Brown Bear paw. The paw has no leg.

Someone changed the "Black or Dark Brown'ish-black" paws to White.

Black Bears generally don't have white or ivory color claws.

If it is a Black Bear paw.......It is a nine foot plus Black Bear with brown hair on the paw.

There are other issues......But I need to leave. Will post more later.

Feet look like they live on dusty ground. Just dirty pads is what they look like to me. Bears in silt often have light colored pads too. . Iíve shot brownies with multi colored pads. I donít see a head or chest in the photo Iíve got? Agreed is a huge blackie if thatís actually what it is.
    Master guide 212

Feet look like they live on dusty ground. Just dirty pads is what they look like to me. Bears in silt often have light colored pads too. . Iíve shot brownies with multi colored pads. I donít see a head or chest in the photo Iíve got? Agreed is a huge blackie if thatís actually what it is.
    I don't see Silt.......I see green grass and green plants. The bear was shot at 8,000 feet elevation. Do you see a leg.......??? I don't.

I see the lower half of a leg. Like the guy laid on the bears chest to take a the picture.
    Hereís some goofy pads. Check out the multi colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Master guide 212

8000í. Where are you getting all these details that we donít have to help us asses the photo? Depending where he is thereís dust on the ground. Green trees and grass donít mean no dust. I was using silt as an example.
    But the picture is a pretty lame one to really tell anything.
    Master guide 212

Still Black with some brown.......not white. Notice your photo has hair around the toes and pad.......their bear as no hair.

I see the lower half of a leg. Like the guy laid on the bears chest to take a the picture.
    Hereís some goofy pads. Check out the multi colors.

OK, AGL, I think you're on to something. Tho I think color of pads and underside of claws is consistent with the soils present, there's definitely something fishy about the pic. The way Backus' hands interact with the paw looks obvoiusly incorrect, and there is at least one shadow which looks to have been added incorrectly. While I won't say whether the paw pictured does or doesn't belong to the bear pictured, I do think the picture's doctored. I don't think Backus was holding up a paw in the original pic. I think the paw has been superimposed over the top of his fingers.

Jake, see the link I posted in #22. And compare the way you grip a paw for photos vs. placement of Backus' hands.

I donít think the photo has been altered, and i also donít think that it is a HUGE black bear. The photo of the paw just reminds me of all the fish pictures I see where people stick the fish right up to the camera lens, and try to hide their extended arms behind it in an attempt to make it appear much larger than it really is.

The dirt that the paw was in prior to taking the picture.

Still Black with some brown.......not white. Notice your photo has hair around the toes and pad.......their bear as no hair.
    This photo is a mid May spring bear. Gonna be hair. No dust or ground around it was all snow. Whatís on the pads in your photo looks like dust. You can see it in the hair around the pads. Wish there was a better picture. Is there another thread somewhere about this bear?

Just saw the new photos. I typically like paw pictures with fingers on the back and not the front. This one just didnít get that way.
    I donít see any alter in the photo. Dark legs, light feet from dust. Not uncommon.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I donít think the photo has been altered, and i also donít think that it is a HUGE black bear. The photo of the paw just reminds me of all the fish pictures I see where people stick the fish right up to the camera lens, and try to hide their extended arms behind it in an attempt to make it appear much larger than it really is.
    There's a shadow line under Backus' chin which doesn't appear to belong there.

Default Look close at the photo........

I prefer my feet pics like this. I zoomed in to cut faces out. But no fingers on the front of the paws.

Master guide 212

I agree with post #36 , that shadow on his chin doesnít look right.

Quote Originally Posted by northwoods View Post
    I agree with post #36 , that shadow on his chin doesnít look right.
    I think it is a shadow from a claw.

Dusty brown bear paw. No way its a black bear....claws are to long. I agree with BRWNBR the paw was pushed towards the camera.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast