Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How do you tell a Black Bear Track from A Brown Bear Teack....???

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Shot an adult bear once that weighed about 80lbs.
    Why would you shoot an 80 pound bear, were you aiming at a different bear and it jumped in the way? None of my dogs weigh less than 80 pounds. What do you shoot a 80 pound bruin with a 22, an air rifle, or just your finger and a pehckew noise?
    "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

this laid quieter longer than I thought it would. Lol
    Watched this bear for two days out on the open tundra. No brush, no grass, chasing squirrels. Moved, looked, proportions to a mature bear. No reason to think otherwise and nothing to compare it with on the ground.
    It popped over a crest at 70 yards and we dropped it. With an actual rifle, with a real bullet. I moved up on it and couldnít figure out what happened, figured it died and fell into a hole or something cause it was a tiny pile of fur. I grabbed and pulled and low and behold it wasnít in a hole! I grabbed it by the neck and carried it back to my pack. Stumped. Bewildered. Embarrassed. Confused. Second guessing everything.
    Took it in for sealing and the bio was maxed and excited to see it. Even went and got another bio to check it out. The skull was flat on top with very little bone mass,
    The teeth were normal size. I believe the skull measured 15 3/8th. They aged her at about 5 years old. Well into sexual maturity they said. They werenít sure if it was dwarfism or something. I felt better. Then I was glad she Wasnít reproducing out there!
    Say what you like. Easy to pass internet judgment. But to this day nothing I saw made me think it was a tiny rat of a bear.

They werenít sure if it was dwarfism or something. I felt better. Then I was glad she Wasnít reproducing out there! .
    If anything that was a good enough reason right there. Believe me Jake, and I believe I speak for most of us when I say, YOU don't have to justify yourself to anybody....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Fits my understanding of semi-retracted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Perfect example of a black "cinnamon" bear AGL. Thanks for the share. Did you take that picture? It's been awhile since I've seen a cinnamon bear. Used to see them quite often in an area of unit 13 that I used to guide in. Don't see em very much anymore. And I agree. Those claws look semi-retractable to me. But who am I to decide? We don't want to start that debate again.

I donít believe they have retracted by definition as much as they are just short. Retracts kinda insinuates that they can move forward or back where bear claws do not move.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I donít believe they have retracted by definition as much as they are just short. Retracts kinda insinuates that they can move forward or back where bear claws do not move.
    Uh oh, here we go again. Forget I mentioned it. They are not semi-retractable.

lol maybe your spot on and we are all missing it! Lol dang it now Iím gonna have to check the next one!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

this laid quieter longer than I thought it would. Lol
    Watched this bear for two days out on the open tundra. No brush, no grass, chasing squirrels. Moved, looked, proportions to a mature bear. No reason to think otherwise and nothing to compare it with on the ground.
    It popped over a crest at 70 yards and we dropped it. With an actual rifle, with a real bullet. I moved up on it and couldnít figure out what happened, figured it died and fell into a hole or something cause it was a tiny pile of fur. I grabbed and pulled and low and behold it wasnít in a hole! I grabbed it by the neck and carried it back to my pack. Stumped. Bewildered. Embarrassed. Confused. Second guessing everything.
    Took it in for sealing and the bio was maxed and excited to see it. Even went and got another bio to check it out. The skull was flat on top with very little bone mass,
    The teeth were normal size. I believe the skull measured 15 3/8th. They aged her at about 5 years old. Well into sexual maturity they said. They werenít sure if it was dwarfism or something. I felt better. Then I was glad she Wasnít reproducing out there!
    Say what you like. Easy to pass internet judgment. But to this day nothing I saw made me think it was a tiny rat of a bear.
    I shot a Blackie in pws, have it on my wall life sized- only cause it was same cost of a rug, but he aged at 8 and looks more like 2.5, shot because he was stuck in a tree. Had big feet as he was pointed away from us and all I could see was feet and tail. He knew we were there. Open tundra. Anyways fish n game said he was 8...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is all in the title........How do you tell a Black Bear track from a Brown Bear/Grizzly track........???
    I always look at the pile of POOP behind the tracks. If it contains a tennis shoe well I tend to think is is a Grizzzz!

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

So far, no one has mentioned harvesting a nine-foot Blackie. Now that drawing hunts winners have been announced who will be the first to tell of a 9 foot blackie. LOL

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234