Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you tell a Black Bear Track from A Brown Bear Teack....???

Kind of a funny thread this one. Im very surprised by some of the comments.

Ive seen adult grizzly climb trees with my own eyes. I friend of mine had a big boar climb 30-feet up a tree and yank him out...he spent the better part of a year in Vancouver general healing up...

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Ive skinned retractable claws on several occasions. Bears do not have them.
    I agree. All I meant was that I've heard some people refer to them as semi-retractable. Not really sure what that means. I guess cheetahs and wolverines have semi-retractable claws, but since I've never skinned either one, I'm not quite sure what that means. Which animal or animals have you skinned that have retractable claws? Lynx maybe?

Thanks for the links....

Yes, I'm of the group that says you shouldn't feed bears. Both these guys, despite saying that they "love" the bears, should realize that they ain't doing them any favors. When you take away the bears fear of man then you are potentially asking them to be killed either sooner or later. Not to mention they're not doing their neighbors any favors either. Again, as much as they "love" the bears, how would either of them have felt had one of the bears gone looking for food at a neighbors house and killed one of their kids instead?

There's a pretty darned good reason feeding wild animals is illegal. People need to think objectively, rather than only with their emotions....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Lynx, bobcat, mountian lion. I used to skin full time for a taxidermy shop. No uh cheetah yet though....😁
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

State wildlife biologists had warned that no matter what the video appeared to show what Vandergaw was doing was dangerous. The judge didn't buy it.

"I'm not convinced that what he did ... was any more dangerous than many other activities," Wolfe said. The judge went on to compare taking a child to Bear Haven to meet Vandergaw's bears with flying to Hawaii with one's children.

Now THAT judge needs to have his head examined....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I agree. All I meant was that I've heard some people refer to them as semi-retractable. Not really sure what that means. I guess cheetahs and wolverines have semi-retractable claws, but since I've never skinned either one, I'm not quite sure what that means. Which animal or animals have you skinned that have retractable claws? Lynx maybe?
    No wolverines do not have semi-retractable claws...whatever that is. Im a trapper and I havent run into anything up here like that...the cats all have re-tractable claws..

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    No wolverines do not have semi-retractable claws...whatever that is.
    How about werewolves? I've heard they have semi-retractable claws.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Calling B. S. on that Browns and grizzly's cannot climb a tree.......You can bet your life on they can climb a tree, they can't come down very well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPnp3fLOER8
    ​A 400# grizzly or brown is hardly an adult bear . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post

Have you ever seen a grizzly?? Like seriously, I see you are from the lower 48 so maybe you are just going by what you have heard on TV ??

The heaviest grizzly ever weighed in the Yukon was just over 700 pounds. Yes there are no doubt heavier bears here but they are very very rare, and would only reach those weights in the fall. The vast majority of adult grizzlies weigh much less. Very few are ever weighed but a 400 pound bear would be an adult for sure.

Shot an adult bear once that weighed about 80lbs. Fish and game said it had dwarfism of some sort. Messed up looking skull and everything.
    An adult bear can weigh From what we weigh on up several hundred pounds. And then fluctuate that weight by a hundred pounds or more. There are no hard fast rules lines boundaries or numbers when it comes to bears.
    Master guide 212

Lynx, bobcat, mountian lion. I used to skin full time for a taxidermy shop. No uh cheetah yet though....
    No wolverines do not have semi-retractable claws...whatever that is. Im a trapper and I havent run into anything up here like that...the cats all have re-tractable claws..
    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    How about werewolves? I've heard they have semi-retractable claws.
    Well, according to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game wolverines have semi-retractable claws. But again, I'm not sure what that means exactly, since I've never skinned one.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...wolverine.main

That is highly dependent on where they live and what time of year it is. A 400 pound interior grizzly in the spring is most certainly a fine sized adult bear.

Well, according to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game wolverines have semi-retractable claws. But again, I'm not sure what that means exactly, since I've never skinned one.

No idea what semi-retractable even means. I would assume it means the claws can be re-tracted part way inside the toes?? I've skinned a pile of wolverine and I've never seen one yet that retracted like a cat...Lynx for example have a sort of "pocket" that the claw sits inside...exactly like a house cat. Very obvious when you skin them.

No idea what semi-retractable even means. I would assume it means the claws can be re-tracted part way inside the toes?? I've skinned a pile of wolverine and I've never seen one yet that retracted like a cat...Lynx for example have a sort of "pocket" that the claw sits inside...exactly like a house cat. Very obvious when you skin them.
    Right. Me too. I've skinned several lynx and I've seen the retractable claws, but I've never skinned a wolverine.

On the F&G site saying wolverine have semi-retractable claws, I heard the staffer that wrote that confused a real wolverine with some dude named Logan <grin>

Having skinned out a bunch of wolverine, can't say as I've ever noticed a semi-retractable claw mechanism. Like I said earlier about bears, they can move their toes in ways like we move our fingers and this can give impression that claws suddenly come out or retract. The "wolverine foundation" says this about their claws:
    Claws are curved, and while biomechanics of the toes may suggest the claws are semi-retractile, anatomically they are clearly fixed.
    http://wolverinefoundation.org/general-characteristics

I think that bears have just a certain given length to the claws on their feet that are appropriate for their current age or genetics.
    I also think that they can flex their toes/claws in an upward motion (like us), maybe not very far, but far enough to sometimes not leave a claw mark/print. Mainly with black bears due their shorter claws, they can get away with it, griz/brown bears, not so much..
    I think that they can definitely extend them out like fingers (like us) to grab things, like prey, trees for climbing, digging, etc.
    I really don't believe that they can retract them like felines or sub adult yeti's....

Have you ever seen a grizzly?? Like seriously, I see you are from the lower 48 so maybe you are just going by what you have heard on TV ??

The heaviest grizzly ever weighed in the Yukon was just over 700 pounds. Yes there are no doubt heavier bears here but they are very very rare, and would only reach those weights in the fall. The vast majority of adult grizzlies weigh much less. Very few are ever weighed but a 400 pound bear would be an adult for sure.
    I lived in Anchorage from 1950 until late 1985, and was both an Alaska Registered Guide and a bush pilot. If I ever had a client who took a 400# griz or brown, I'd have been run out of the state.

And, yes, I've seen a lot of browns and grizzlies over those 35 years in the bush. I'm sure I qualify to offer an opinion.

I lived in Anchorage from 1950 until late 1985, and was both an Alaska Registered Guide and a bush pilot. If I ever had a client who took a 400# griz or brown, I'd have been run out of the state.

And, yes, I've seen a lot of browns and grizzlies over those 35 years in the bush. I'm sure I qualify to offer an opinion.
    Yep, every body has a right to there opinion... that"s why I sent the link to the video, so you can see for yourself , a full grown brown bear climbing a tree,{ She is full grown enough to have a cub with her!!!!} You know, the world is full of misinformation, a couple of us on here, with first hand knowledge! are just trying to keep the record straight. Good Day too you Sir.... Now back to the {Tracks} Black bear , smaller, less claws leave less track, Big bear, big claws, leave more of a track.
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

Id like to know how many folks in Alaska have actually put a dead bear on a scale....
    Master guide 212

Shot an adult bear once that weighed about 80lbs. Fish and game said it had dwarfism of some sort. Messed up looking skull and everything.
    An adult bear can weigh From what we weigh on up several hundred pounds. And then fluctuate that weight by a hundred pounds or more. There are no hard fast rules lines boundaries or numbers when it comes to bears.
    Was it a nuisance bear? At 80lbs, you could have just thumb wrestled it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast