Thread: Kodiak brown bear emerging early 2/2/18

Default Kodiak brown bear emerging early 2/2/18

Saw this on Kodiak PD facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/KodiakPD/?h...rGveAo&fref=nf

INJURED BEAR ADVISORY
    The Kodiak Police Department has responded to multiple reports of an injured Bear frequenting the Matson Dock area located at Pier 2 and Pier 3. We highly recommend if you see the bear to stay away as a standard safety precaution.
    We have coordinated with Nathan Svoboda, Alaska Fish and Game Area Wildlife Biologist for the Kodiak Archipelago. He and his team are monitoring the Bear's progress.
    Nate Svoboda provided the following statement:
    A number of Kodiak residents have reported observations and expressed concern regarding the injured bear that has been spotted just outside the City of Kodiak near Matsonís Dock and Deadmanís Curve. The bear appears to have an injured right rear leg and walks with a distinct limp. The injury does not appear to be life threatening and the bear has not shown aggression or otherwise caused an immediate public safety concern. However, like all bears, it is important for residents to keep a safe distance and exercise caution when in the area. Despite the injury, the bear appears to be in decent physical condition and is still able to walk and run if provoked. Common to most bears during the winter months, its movements are slow and deliberate as its metabolism is greatly reduced in preparation for winter denning. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game would like to thank the Kodiak community for reporting bear sightings and expressing concern for this bearís well-being. The residents of Kodiak Island are among the most experienced people in the world when it comes to living with bears. ADF&G encourages residents to continue to respect these magnificent animals by keeping a safe distance and avoiding unnecessary interactions as this bear strives to make it through the winter. Thank you.
    Nate Svoboda
    Area Wildlife Biologist
    Kodiak Archipelago
    907-486-1880

This isn't the only bear wandering around Kodiak right now. These two photos were taken on the 27th of Jan. The car in the photos is being driven by a friend of mine and she said it really got her heart rate up. This was near Sargent Creek at the Flats.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

That bear never went to bed... been roaming the CG base and town. It is making it's rounds, that's for sure
    TrappHouseOutdoors@HuntFishAK

There's also another lil fella over my where In live on Pillar Creek, fresh tracks in snow Yesterday morning.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Last week (Friday 2/9) my step-daughter walked out of the house too her car and was startled by a sow grizz with a year old cub walking down her street (Coronado st., out off Pittman rd), they just walked passed her house and over through her neighbors yard and right into the woods...

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    This isn't the only bear wandering around Kodiak right now. These two photos were taken on the 27th of Jan. The car in the photos is being driven by a friend of mine and she said it really got her heart rate up. This was near Sargent Creek at the Flats.
    And she is used to dealing with Bears at her fish camp.

Quote Originally Posted by windvane View Post
    And she is used to dealing with Bears at her fish camp.
    Yup. I fished her site the two years previous to her buying it, back in the mid 80s. Both springs I had to clean a bear mess out of the cabin as they wander down looking for food and whatever it takes to pop their winter plug. They'd chew through cans of food, eat soap, both bar and liquid, eat foam buoys, fresh greens, etc etc. They'd smash the front door open, make a mess in the cabin including a big spring dump, and then blow out the back wall of the cabin to leave. Don't know why they wouldn't go out the door they came in. lol
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett