Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a sled skidoo 600 or 800

Default Buying a sled skidoo 600 or 800

Hey guys Iím buying a used sled in the next week or so and narrowed it down to Skidoo. Iím liking the 600 motor for reliability but I am interested in the 800 motor as well. Iím eaither going to get a renegade or a summit. My primary use for the machine would be to access remote lakes for ice fishing, hunting and towing the kid and wife up the hill if we decided to go skiing for the day. Just looking for peoples thoughts on the renegade vs summit. I will be pulling a sled with gear.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CRQAK View Post
    Hey guys Iím buying a used sled in the next week or so and narrowed it down to Skidoo. Iím liking the 600 motor for reliability but I am interested in the 800 motor as well. Iím eaither going to get a renegade or a summit. My primary use for the machine would be to access remote lakes for ice fishing, hunting and towing the kid and wife up the hill if we decided to go skiing for the day. Just looking for peoples thoughts on the renegade vs summit. I will be pulling a sled with gear.
    Thanks
    If that's your mission statement, I'd say nether on the renegate vs summit. You'd be better off with a skandic or expedition. Your wife will like being "towed" up a hill exactly once.

Towing behind a sled uphill doesnít workout like flat ground haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I should have been more clear on my post. I wouldnít be towing her up the hill, she would be riding with me and I would drop her off so she good ski down.
    Thanks

I should have been more clear on my post. I wouldnít be towing her up the hill, she would be riding with me and I would drop her off so she good ski down.
    Thanks
    Just curious as to why you have narrowed it down to Ski-doo? Not bashing them by any means, just thinking of a few other sleds off the top of my head.

I.e. 2010-11 arctic M8. The last year arctic cat really had to together. Lots of power to tow two up a hill. Does good on the trails and can tow a sled for hunting.

Similar sled in Ski-doo flavor would be the summit. Also rides good on the trail suspension wise but due to the skis darts a lot and doesnít corner very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right now arctic cat off commercial has 2014, 2015 new in the crate M6 and M8 for great prices. Also AMDS has pretty good deals as well on last yrs skidoo summit 800ís. But as someone said look at tracking down an expedition sport or skandic for what you are doing.

The summit isnt much of a sled to tow things behind. The clutching is all wrong. The renegade seems to be a better sled for what you're describing. Saying that neither one of those sleds is much of a two up sled. Unless neither one of you are more than 120 lbs. the summit will be the sled to get you to the top of a mountain but the steering is going to be wrong for trail riding. The renegade will be the better choice for running trails and pulling a sled. Its too bad they dont make an expedition 900 ace with 2" lugs and a 155" track. That would be what i would want to get for what you want to do.

Depends entirely on the year. While I've owned them, I'd be hard pressed to recommend any Skidoo 800 unless it's an ETec. My 2013 Summit X 800Etec tows 500# just fine, and I have a buddy that tows that much regularly as well. If you aren't too heavy, I know plenty of guys that two-up on Summits for snowboarding and skiing. If your budget is more in the $4 to $5 range, you can pick up an 2010 or 2011 Arctic Cat M8. They are as bullet proof as an 800 gets.

SkiDoo Etec 600's are every bit as bullet proof as the Cat 800's. Just less power.

Regardless of what you choose, if snow conditions are low you WILL need ice scratchers for a mountain sled.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Depends entirely on the year. While I've owned them, I'd be hard pressed to recommend any Skidoo 800 unless it's an ETec. My 2013 Summit X 800Etec tows 500# just fine, and I have a buddy that tows that much regularly as well. If you aren't too heavy, I know plenty of guys that two-up on Summits for snowboarding and skiing. If your budget is more in the $4 to $5 range, you can pick up an 2010 or 2011 Arctic Cat M8. They are as bullet proof as an 800 gets.

SkiDoo Etec 600's are every bit as bullet proof as the Cat 800's. Just less power.

Regardless of what you choose, if snow conditions are low you WILL need ice scratchers for a mountain sled.
    Do you guys have clutch kits and different gearing for your summits when towing?

Do you guys have clutch kits and different gearing for your summits when towing?
    i think a machine with a high/low transmission would be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    Skandic WT 600 ACE. Awesome machine, high/low, three operation modes and in economy gets about 21m.p.g.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Skandic WT 600 ACE. Awesome machine, high/low, three operation modes and in economy gets about 21m.p.g.
    Very nice machine but unfortunately it only has 1.25 inch lugs that would seem to me that the machine is geared towards trail riding not pushing
    it through deep powder snow as it would need larger lugs. but yea nice machine.

Define towing.. that's the biggest problem.

My 13 Summit has flat pulled a dead RMK Pro and rider for 20 miles.. that's 750 of weight. Not issues at all and a dead sno-go isn't as easy to pull as a proper sled. I have hauled 400lbs in a UHMW sled 68 miles into Alpine Creek Lodge with zero issues. My friend does the same thing with his Summit 800 and sometimes even more weight.

My sled has a clutch kit from A2D Motorsports in Anchorage. It also has a Team secondary clutch. Neither of those things were added for towing, they were added for deep snow performance, climbing and belt life. I'm not sure if it adds reliability to towing or not.

The only thing I've added for towing is the Skidoo heavy duty bumper and hitch. If you are looking to tow big loads all the time, then a utility sled is the way to go. If you are looking for hauling lighter loads, some mountain sleds can get it done and they are way more fun to ride when there isn't a sled behind it.

That is only found in work sleds and isn't necessary for hauling loads like ice fishing gear. Probably not necessary for loads under 750#

ďTowingĒ with a summit is like putting a hitch on a corvette or a mustang and pulling a trailer. Can it be done? For sure! Should it be done.....?? Is it the perfect tool for the job? Iím not going to be the judge. Alaska is full of people getting things done. Sometimes in conventional ways sometimes quite unconventional, thatís what makes it great.

That is only found in work sleds and isn't necessary for hauling loads like ice fishing gear. Probably not necessary for loads under 750#
    Iím staying away from the utility models just because I will not be hauling a lot. I like to have fun as well. I just want to be able to pull a small sled with ice fishing gear, a second person when we want to 2up ride to go skiing down the hill and whatever else we encounter. I just bought the wife a super clean 2012 renegade backcountry 600 etec and Iím thinking about picking up a 2012 summit with 1200 miles for under 4K tomorrow. Just have never towed with a performance machine. Iíve have owned a few old school phazerís that are ready for retirement. Iím sure these new sleds will be just fine towing ice fishing gear, moose or a few caribou.
    Thanks

Iím staying away from the utility models just because I will not be hauling a lot. I like to have fun as well. I just want to be able to pull a small sled with ice fishing gear, a second person when we want to 2up ride to go skiing down the hill and whatever else we encounter. I just bought the wife a super clean 2012 renegade backcountry 600 etec and Iím thinking about picking up a 2012 summit with 1200 miles for under 4K tomorrow. Just have never towed with a performance machine. Iíve have owned a few old school phazerís that are ready for retirement. Iím sure these new sleds will be just fine towing ice fishing gear, moose or a few caribou.
    Thanks
    Yep they will do fine😊

Very nice machine but unfortunately it only has 1.25 inch lugs that would seem to me that the machine is geared towards trail riding not pushing
    it through deep powder snow as it would need larger lugs. but yea nice machine.
    https://www.ski-doo.com/ski-doo/skandic/skandic-wt.html 600 Ace
    It has a 154x20x1.5 track on it . It will go just fine in deep powder snow. It is geared down with 7 tooth driver to pull. Trouble with it and what he wants to use it for, it would run out of horse power before he got to the top .
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    https://www.ski-doo.com/ski-doo/skandic/skandic-wt.html 600 Ace
    It has a 154x20x1.5 track on it . It will go just fine in deep powder snow. It is geared down with 7 tooth driver to pull. Trouble with it and what he wants to use it for, it would run out of horse power before he got to the top .
    You are correct, I was thinking the SWT Expedition 😊

Define towing.. that's the biggest problem.

My 13 Summit has flat pulled a dead RMK Pro and rider for 20 miles.. that's 750 of weight. Not issues at all and a dead sno-go isn't as easy to pull as a proper sled. I have hauled 400lbs in a UHMW sled 68 miles into Alpine Creek Lodge with zero issues. My friend does the same thing with his Summit 800 and sometimes even more weight.

My sled has a clutch kit from A2D Motorsports in Anchorage. It also has a Team secondary clutch. Neither of those things were added for towing, they were added for deep snow performance, climbing and belt life. I'm not sure if it adds reliability to towing or not.

The only thing I've added for towing is the Skidoo heavy duty bumper and hitch. If you are looking to tow big loads all the time, then a utility sled is the way to go. If you are looking for hauling lighter loads, some mountain sleds can get it done and they are way more fun to ride when there isn't a sled behind it.
    Good advice on the heavy duty bumper and hitch, especially if talking about throwing a moose behind it. Also i would consider a longer tongue on the trailer, because of the angle, there arse end is up off the ground. I would add a shield to the tongue also {zip tie a kids plastic roll up sled} That paddle track is going to fill up your sled
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast