Thread: Bison DI454

Default Bison DI454

I was lucky enough to draw a tag . Can anyone give me any info on this hunt. General area, Is this all private land, Hunt fall or winter. I'm coming from Minnesota so any info would be really helpful.

Thanks
    Troy

Default Buffs

You can get them on state land, but you have to have a pilot on the payroll or get real lucky.
    Unfortunately, best bet is to pay Ahtna the steep trespass fee, float down and take your pick of one on the bluffs. Or you could take your chances and do a flyover the night before to mark them, boat down to them the next morning and hope they're still below highwater.
    Since you are from Minnesota, you are looking at a relatively expensive "wild" buffalo hunt as compared to a "ranch" hunt down in the states. Either way, they sure taste good.
    Good luck
    Mike

and you might not wanna "mark" them, as that is illegal and being from Minn, the fine you'll pay if you get caught will make you wish you'd have just shot you a ranch bull.
    did you not do any research on this before you applied for it?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Look up the user Rambow. They did this hunt last year and might have some info. Sounds like they were very successful.

Default Buffs

Did I miss something? I could be wrong, but I don't believe it is illegal to fly over your hunting area the day before to find out where the animals are and mark their locations either in a GPS, on a piece of paper or even in your memory. I thought that was good scouting, but please correct me if I am wrong.
    Either way, this is an expensive hunt for a resident, much more so for a non-resident. I'm not sure if this is like the muskox hunts, which have an alternate list for people who decide not to use their permit, but it might be something to look into if you choose not to hunt. I know lots of peole who would have like to drawn that tag...
    Mike

Mike, you are right. just talked with a trooper to clarify and you CAN use a GPS to locate and mark game. if you do it from a plane you just have to be sure that its not in a Non-motorized area.
    Sorry bout that, i was under the thought that you couldn't do it, thanks for checkin' me on that one! good hunting!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Make sure you use that permit because there was thousands of Alaskans that would gladly have used if they were drawn!

Default Thanks

I will be using the tag. My father inlaw lives up there and he is willing to do all my scouting. He will also be splitting the cost along with the meat.

Thanks for the advise.