Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat to run Kenai and valley rivers

I think that is a perfect boat if you want to use the Kenai River. If not I would love a 1860 with Yamaha 115. I just finished my 14í tunnel boat with a Yamaha 60/40 so Iím canít go to Kenai. I have never wanted to anyways

Mike

Do your Kenai boat as the cheap beater boat. 16' lund semi v with a 25-35 with a prop. You'll run anywhere you want to go in the Kenai with that and catch all the fish you want. Or an old beater 16-18' flat bottom jon boat. We kayak all down the river. It doesn't take a lot of boat to catch a King or silver. Spend your hard earned money on the boat to go around the rest of the state and one that can pack moose camp.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Do your Kenai boat as the cheap beater boat. 16' lund semi v with a 25-35 with a prop. You'll run anywhere you want to go in the Kenai with that and catch all the fish you want. Or an old beater 16-18' flat bottom jon boat. We kayak all down the river. It doesn't take a lot of boat to catch a King or silver. Spend your hard earned money on the boat to go around the rest of the state and one that can pack moose camp.
    I was thinking this same thing last night when I saw the thread. cheapest jon or lund that you can find with a 25+ fourstroke etec for the kenai then a real jet boat for everywhere else. 1860 with a 115/80 is probably the best overall compromise for big and smallish systems and can haul moose. I have and 18ft lund that I use in the salt here in juneau (pick your weather) if you can find one of them with a 40 or 50 fourstoke you could do kenai and light salt with that and big rivers if you know that channels. I would shy away from a serious jet boat that's limited to a 50hp powerhead unless it's a light 1652 or something.

...or forget the Kenai, I stopped fishing it in the mid-80's and haven't missed it at all. Plenty of places to catch a king in the Su drainage. They may not be the hog's of the Kenai but 35-40 lbs are a fair fish.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12