Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ski-Doo SWT Expedition !!!

"Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Yes they do look nice, but I wonder if the 24 inch wide track is wide enough to float the close to 800 pounds it would weigh wet?

The bar tender at Capt. Cooks had a 24" machine back in 2000 breaking trail for the Serum Run. When he came into Shaktoolik I had a good look at it. He said it was a beast.............but don't get it stuck. Then its an anchor. I bought a Scandic widetrack (21")and went with the 600 because of the weight. I still would not want to get that thing stuck. Heavier than I can handle. They must know that at Ski Do as they put a 2" reciever on the front for a winch. That is why the Scandic longtack goes wood cutting instead.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The bar tender at Capt. Cooks had a 24" machine back in 2000 breaking trail for the Serum Run. When he came into Shaktoolik I had a good look at it. He said it was a beast.............but don't get it stuck. Then its an anchor. I bought a Scandic widetrack (21")and went with the 600 because of the weight. I still would not want to get that thing stuck. Heavier than I can handle. They must know that at Ski Do as they put a 2" reciever on the front for a winch. That is why the Scandic longtack goes wood cutting instead.

You are correct they are a beast, they claim the dry weight is 685 pounds dry but gas and oil in it and it would weigh somewhere close to 800 pounds, put a person on it and now it weighs somewhere around 1000 pounds, now I know in some ways weight helps you get through deep snow as it presses everything down to get traction but like you said get it stuck and you are in trouble. I am not sure why the manufactures are turning great work machines into utility/touring machines it is my thoughts it just does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    Yes they do look nice, but I wonder if the 24 inch wide track is wide enough to float the close to 800 pounds it would weigh wet?

No problem what so ever. Best Utility machine around.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    No problem what so ever. Best Utility machine around.

yea right,

That superwide will go anywhere but get a winch so when you do stick it, heck you need a winch for the big 4 stroke bearcats. No Iím not interested in 1990ís technology with that 540 bearcat either...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    That superwide will go anywhere but get a winch so when you do stick it, heck you need a winch for the big 4 stroke bearcats. No Iím not interested in 1990ís technology with that 540 bearcat either...
    I was not aware we were bad mouthing other machines, there is a reason on a farm that they do not use a Cadillic Escalade for work, they use a very proven old tractor, simple, easy to work on if needed, and plenty of power. Just for the record nobody here has said anything other then the obvious about the secret Skandic.

You are correct they are a beast, they claim the dry weight is 685 pounds dry but gas and oil in it and it would weigh somewhere close to 800 pounds, put a person on it and now it weighs somewhere around 1000 pounds, now I know in some ways weight helps you get through deep snow as it presses everything down to get traction but like you said get it stuck and you are in trouble. I am not sure why the manufactures are turning great work machines into utility/touring machines it is my thoughts it just does not work.
    When you say yea right to a guy that puts more miles on a machine than anybody , well?
    Because that's what the market and people wanted. To take a deep snow utility machine and have plush ride too best of both worlds . I am not sure why your thoughts would tell you this could not work? There is no comparison to a 24in wide track and its flotation, period. If you have spent any time around these machines or owned one you would not even be asking these type of questions . Cat's and Yamaha are very guarded on there weights of there machines hard to find any info in the spec's a old link shows that the 540 weigh's in about 642 lbs
    http://www.snowmobile.com/specs/yama...-iii/base.html. http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycle...40-540cc/Specs
    so at 685lbs really there's only a 43 lb difference between the two witch is nothing with a 24in track. I can load my SWT with 50lbs crap in back rack and ride double and still just drive around a 20in wide when they get stuck, just a fact.
    Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
    If you don't care where you are, your not lost

I was not aware we were bad mouthing other machines, there is a reason on a farm that they do not use a Cadillic Escalade for work, they use a very proven old tractor, simple, easy to work on if needed, and plenty of power. Just for the record nobody here has said anything other then the obvious about the secret Skandic.
    Oh were arenít but for 3,000 more you get one hell of a machine with a 4 stroke motor.. the sled in question is not a skandic

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Oh were arenít but for 3,000 more you get one hell of a machine with a 4 stroke motor.. the sled in question is not a skandic

This whole conversation has now disseminated into a pissing contest, you truly have no idea who I am or how much or how I use my machines, so since we are bad mouthing machine yes the skidoo is a over weight pig, hard to work on as well as over priced, best of luck.

Ok Ladies that is what they make seats in a bar for set around and have a pissing contest . Lets stay on track !!!!!

This whole conversation has now disseminated into a pissing contest, you truly have no idea who I am or how much or how I use my machines, so since we are bad mouthing machine yes the skidoo is a over weight pig, hard to work on as well as over priced, best of luck.
    I ride once yr down my street to the stop sign then right back into the garage..

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Ok Ladies that is what they make seats in a bar for set around and have a pissing contest . Lets stay on track !!!!!
    heís questioning if a 24 inch wide track is wide enough To go vet it enough flotation. Skidoo been putting 24 inch wide track on there sleds for a long time. nothing wrong with a 20 inch wide bearcat with the 4 stroke either. But this skidoo is one nice machine.

The 24" SWT Skandics have a loyal following and have proven themselves to be great freight haulers. But, the Skandic's "pogo" style front suspension is probably more of a niche feature than the 24" wide track. Up until now, if you wanted a SWT, you had to accept the "pogo" front suspension, since the Skandic was the only SWT machine available. Now, that we have a choice of SWT's with either a "pogo" or the traditional spring/arm front suspensions, I wonder how many Skandic SWT's Ski-Doo will continue to sell? Could the introduction of this SWT Expedition, start to spell the end of the Skandic line?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    The 24" SWT Skandics have a loyal following and have proven themselves to be great freight haulers. But, the Skandic's "pogo" style front suspension is probably more of a niche feature than the 24" wide track. Up until now, if you wanted a SWT, you had to accept the "pogo" front suspension, since the Skandic was the only SWT machine available. Now, that we have a choice of SWT's with either a "pogo" or the traditional spring/arm front suspensions, I wonder how many Skandic SWT's Ski-Doo will continue to sell? Could the introduction of this SWT Expedition, start to spell the end of the Skandic line?
    I agree 100%. This may be the end to the Skandic , wth the exception of people who are in and out of alder brush all day - that's where the pogo comes in a little more handy. Now... if they would put an etec in the Expedition sport... Those would be the only two machines Ski-Doo ever sold!

yea right,
    Have a SWT 800 Four stroke with over 19,000 miles on it, all pulling heavy loads without ever having to use a winch to get it unstuck so ......... Yeah right!

Quote Originally Posted by xcrnr View Post
    I agree 100%. This may be the end to the Skandic , wth the exception of people who are in and out of alder brush all day - that's where the pogo comes in a little more handy. Now... if they would put an etec in the Expedition sport... Those would be the only two machines Ski-Doo ever sold!
    The Pogo suspension is the best for running around in deep snow in the woods! I have all four major brands of snomachines and without a doubt the 2010 SWT 800 four stroke is the best machine I have ever had. Hunter1951 is right about one thing,everything is too high priced, too hard to work on, and the service sucks. I don't like how they keep evolving these machines into low slung cowling models that wont keep you warm just so some city slicker buys it because it looks good or has an independent suspension. They totally ruined the Tundra and it's intended use doing this. Also the Expedition 20 inch track is just fine too. My partners 2007 Expedition can pull just about as good as any SWT, just not as much flotation. But then again any one that actually knows what they are doing isn't going to pull 2,500 lbs thru 2 foot of snow. I don't know why Hunter 1951 thinks these machines are so worthless? I can put my partner ( a Woman ) on one and she can pretty much out pull anyone!

I agree with alexanderís assessment. My 2010 Skandic has 5600+ miles on it and I havenít had a lick of problems with it. The only thing Iíve had to do was change out an undercarriage bracket that broke due to a bolt falling out of it on one side.
    Floatation even with two people on it is superb. Gas mileage is excellent. Pogo front suspension is the way to go when dealing with brush. I run straight over brush bigger than an inch around alll the time. This machine is a tank and I love it. I would not go with the newer suspension if I had the choice.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Obviously the main advantage of the A-arm front will be the added suspension travel and stability, especially going down the trail. I mean, for all the added advantage the 24" wide track gives, most of the time we're all beating down a packed track and under those conditions the narrow, short travel, pogo front end is rough riding and squirrelly at best. I switched to heavier springs on my 2014 600 etec SWT and that has helped a bunch, especially to keep the front from bottoming out on every bump, but it's still pretty narrow.

The issue will be the same as the issue that keeps me from giving in and going to a 20" wide track and that is the extreme situation, that once in a great while situation when the narrow front end and the super wide track is the only thing going to make it.

As far as getting stuck goes, if you learn to drive the SWT, which means stopping before you spin the track and backing up a little to get another run, then it almost never gets stuck, almost never, ever. The worst trouble, really, is tipping over and then any big utility machine is a pig to deal with.

I've got almost 6,000 miles on my SWT and still love it, especially all that power from the etec engine. It's quite the hoot to pull the skis off the ground on a 700 lb plus machine. But, when I get ready for a new machine, I'll look pretty hard at the A-arm SWT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast