Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ski-Doo SWT Expedition !!!

Check out dootalk.com. There are some very knowledgeable guys on there and more than one thread on this exact topic. Just to get some 1st hand knowledge. Seems like a pretty awesome sled for hauling and exploring to me!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    Obviously the main advantage of the A-arm front will be the added suspension travel and stability, especially going down the trail. I mean, for all the added advantage the 24" wide track gives, most of the time we're all beating down a packed track and under those conditions the narrow, short travel, pogo front end is rough riding and squirrelly at best. I switched to heavier springs on my 2014 600 etec SWT and that has helped a bunch, especially to keep the front from bottoming out on every bump, but it's still pretty narrow.

The issue will be the same as the issue that keeps me from giving in and going to a 20" wide track and that is the extreme situation, that once in a great while situation when the narrow front end and the super wide track is the only thing going to make it.

As far as getting stuck goes, if you learn to drive the SWT, which means stopping before you spin the track and backing up a little to get another run, then it almost never gets stuck, almost never, ever. The worst trouble, really, is tipping over and then any big utility machine is a pig to deal with.

I've got almost 6,000 miles on my SWT and still love it, especially all that power from the etec engine. It's quite the hoot to pull the skis off the ground on a 700 lb plus machine. But, when I get ready for a new machine, I'll look pretty hard at the A-arm SWT.

You know you do have a point there with the Pogo and Independent suspension pro's and cons.We do pretty much have to haul heavy loads on a packed trail. So why not go with a little comfort!

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    ....... then it almost never gets stuck, almost never, ever.
    Almost never......
    Does anyone know if you can buy the lower A-arms with upwards sweep for the Expis? You see them on the euro Lynx machines, and BRP sells them for the Summits. Im really surprised they don't come stock on the Expi.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Almost never......
    Does anyone know if you can buy the lower A-arms with upwards sweep for the Expis? You see them on the euro Lynx machines, and BRP sells them for the Summits. Im really surprised they don't come stock on the Expi.
    "Sambuck laughing" says I have a picture somewhere of the lower A-arms on my expedition sweeping upward after i ran it into a stump just below the surface of the snow and nearly launched myself over the handlebars. Hurt like crazy. tried to straighten it back out but didnt work. 30 miles back to the truck, drove as far as i could before i inevitably broke the shock (about 6 miles). Then drove further (17 miles) with me hanging off the side putting as little pressure on that side as possible. Then the shock popped out of place and the whole side collapsed and i couldnt turn to the right. Luckily for me there was a good samaritan that caught up to us with an old indy widetrack and a mostly empty siglin sled who offered me a lift. I got to suck that 2 stroke exhaust for the last 7 miles of that trip. The old widetrack even kept going when we got into a little overflow. I was impressed. That stump cost me like $300 bucks and the humiliation of being pulled out in style by the widetrack. I made phone calls all over the state looking for that A-arm. Anyone else annoyed that none of the dealerships stock A-arms? Found one in Delta and made a late run down there one evening.

Bit of a stretch to call those A-arms custom.......
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

A BUNCH of SWT's are never really used off trail much. Many are used to haul large loads on rivers and other trail systems. Frankly, running a SWT with a pogo front end can be a scary proposition at speed. This sled will fix that and will be a great addition to the Skidoo line.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    A BUNCH of SWT's are never really used off trail much. Many are used to haul large loads on rivers and other trail systems. Frankly, running a SWT with a pogo front end can be a scary proposition at speed. This sled will fix that and will be a great addition to the Skidoo line.

The expedition SWT looks like a very nice machine, they use the RAS2 front suspension older technology somewhere around four years old but still nice they originally fixed some darting, some bump steer going over large bumps and cured some of the darting it also raised the front end up about 20MM they lightened the spindals and A Arms of course this made them weaker and easier to get bent they also use older R2 skis that are narrow to help with cornering and side hilling, but all in all they still look like a nice machine.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    The expedition SWT looks like a very nice machine, they use the RAS2 front suspension older technology somewhere around four years old but still nice they originally fixed some darting, some bump steer going over large bumps and cured some of the darting it also raised the front end up about 20MM they lightened the spindals and A Arms of course this made them weaker and easier to get bent they also use older R2 skis that are narrow to help with cornering and side hilling, but all in all they still look like a nice machine.
    I should have said they use the DS-2 skis not the R-2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12