Thread: Anyone practice: The Wolf Hunter Turn or Wolf Hunter Stall...???

Default Anyone practice: The Wolf Hunter Turn or Wolf Hunter Stall...???

Anyone practice: The Wolf Hunter Turn or Wolf Hunter Stall...??? It likely has other names as well. I practiced it at safe altitudes. It is a handy tool for narrow canyons. I used it twice in Merrill Pass.

I practice canyon turns several times a year (pa 18). Seldom had the need to do one but it is nice to know just how tight the plane will turn and how much altitude you will loose when you do one. I think it is a basic mountain flying skill everyone should have. My method is to gain as much altitude as I can as I slow down, bank steep early, full flaps in the turn, and let the nose drop during the turn. Watch crop duster turns on youtube, they do it all day long with heavy loads. Stalls happen when you try to maintain altitude. If you are running with a 50 or 100 ft cloud cover you are stuck with slowing down and easy bank, so I don't stick my nose into narrow stuff if I can't climb a few hundred feet prior to the turn. I like to look at critters but none are worth that tight a turn for me. I usually take my time and loose about 1/3 of them on the second pass. Anyone that wants to learn should go up with Don Lee or a experienced instructor first. It is easy to get in trouble if you don't know what you are doing. I would also recommend spin training, so if you do screw up you will know what to do!!
    DENNY