Thread: North Slope Float

Default North Slope Float

I am looking to make a north slope float this summer for a week. I am interested in scenery and fishing for large dollies and or char in spawning colors.I floated the Wulik 2 years ago and am looking for different scenery.I have thought about the Kobuk but cant seem to get excited for a week of sheefish.I don't want a real long trip (maybe 20 to 40 miles), Id rather spend more time camping, fishing, relaxing. Any ideas are appreciated.Thanks
    Last edited by billk35; 01-22-2018 at 11:38. Reason: add detail

Default Float trip choices

Bill:

There are lots of great choices on the North Slope to choose from but you have to understand Large Dollies are not found on the NS rivers. If your primary goal is wilderness with great fishing you need to look at Western Alaska. The Dillingham area has so many great rivers to choose from but once again most have river boat travel and may lack that "wilderness"experience you may be looking for.

Take a good look at the Wulik, Kelly and the Kug Rivers in Noatak NP out of Kotzebue. All offer pure wilderness and the biggest Dolies in the world as well as Chum, Greyling and Northern Pike to die for.

One of my favorite trips is to put in on the Kugg or the Kelly Rivers for 4 days, dump out on the middle Noatak, float down to the village of Noatak and fly out on Bering Air. The Noatak section can be long with lots of shallow braids and almost no fishing. Great cost effective trip.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Rafts, SOAR Canoes and Camps
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Pics

Some more photos...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Walt,
    Is there any difference, fish, scenery etc, between the 3 rivers? I enjoyed the Wulik but when I floated it in Mid to late August the char were not colored up yet.
    Also how long does the Noatak section the float take?

Thanks
    Bill
    Last edited by billk35; 01-25-2018 at 06:01. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post

Large Dollies are not found on the NS rivers.
    Don't be so sure. There are large anadromous Dollys in the Siksikpuk and some tribs of Anuktuvuk rivers on the NS flowing north out of the Brooks. I doubt they see much fishing, are difficult to access, but I sampled them in 2016, fish in hand. You could float out several these to the Colville for a trip. There are also large char in larger lakes in ANWR that are lake-locked afaik.

The section from the Kelly/Kug to Noatak Village is a 2-3 day pull.

I have done all 3 and the Kug/Kelly are both surrounded with nice mountains and lots of good hikes. The Kug is a wider valley then the Kelly is.

[There are lots of great choices on the North Slope to choose from but you have to understand Large Dollies are not found on the NS rivers.]

There are large Dollies on the NS, Some may be actual Arctic Char out of the Mackenzie River System. Sea run Char hit the rivers and Lagoons around the 4th of July (peak), that is the first run. There are 2nd run fish in Sept. The 2nd run are bigger, from what I've seen. There are also Char that winter over in fresh and are pretty skinny in the early Summer. Trying to fish for Fall spawn colors on the Slope in Sept, would not be something I would recommend. High winds and freezing temps are the norm is Sept. The Noatak or Mackenzie systems would have the largest on average, none of these places are pleasant in late Sept. I like fishing the early runs, sometimes it is too hot, quick dip in the river will cool you down though.

Any one know if the kaluktavik is floatable in a packraft in August? I thought about hiking over to it from trail creek and the kug and floating the Kal out

Get ahold of Eric Sieh in Kotz. 907-442-3200

You might get Stacy if Eric is flying but she is a great source of info as well.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    907-259-4290

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    Don't be so sure. There are large anadromous Dollys in the Siksikpuk and some tribs of Anuktuvuk rivers on the NS flowing north out of the Brooks. I doubt they see much fishing, are difficult to access, but I sampled them in 2016, fish in hand. You could float out several these to the Colville for a trip. There are also large char in larger lakes in ANWR that are lake-locked afaik.
    What time of year did you go and where there any size to the fish?
    For the Siksikpuk did you hike and pack raft?

Thanks

Are you talking about the Mackenzie river in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by billk35 View Post
    What time of year did you go and where there any size to the fish?
    For the Siksikpuk did you hike and pack raft?

Thanks
    It was for work, accessed with a helo and floated a new river daily to sample so I cant comment on float trip logistics, other than you could physically float out to the Colville.
    Late July/Early August.

You can find fish inventory info here. http://extra.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Fis...tor/?mode=affi
    Each yellow point links to a report like this one from Confusion Creek/Siksikpuk: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/report...=FSNPRA1603A01 Includes some fish pictures for reference.

Yes they are referring to the Mackenzie River in Canada, which has healthy salmon and andromous dolly/char runs.

cool map, thanks

Thanks for posting the map!

No prob. Also be sure to check on land ownership, there is a lot of Arctic Slope Regional Corp lands on that N. Slope of the Brooks.