Thread: .308 165gr TSX in 30/06 for moose?

Default .308 165gr TSX in 30/06 for moose?

My RUger 30/06 doesn't seem to be too impressed with 180gr factory loads and I was thinking about trying some 165gr. The federal premium 165gr TSX looked like a likely canditate but I don't really have any expereince with that bullet.How do you guys think the 165gr tsx in a 30/06 would work on moose or possibly griz. You just never know what you might come across. This rifle is a good pount or two lighter than my 300 win adn I would like to use it as a loaner/hiking rifle.

My hope was to be able to shoot the HE federal premium load and vertually duplicate the performance of my 300 win.

Having seen moose killed with .270s .30-30s and even an SKS, I'm sure the 165 grain will do fine. That TSX should whistle right through a moose and just about anything else you'll encounter out there.

The most important detail is accuracy of the load combination out of your rifle.

The only way to determine that is to plunks your money down for a box of ammo and head to the range.
    Now what ?

No sweat. One of my favorite guns is a 7x57, and it plunks a 160 grain Nosler partition traveling at 2600 clear through them. Your choice is very likely to do the same.

Get into reloading and stop sucking on the hind tit!

Any decent bullet 150grains and up in an 06 will deal with moose Easily.

Grizzly.............in a pinch but in my opinion you would be a fool to choose to use a 165 grain anything to hunt big bears.

Try out the Hornady Light Magnum loads for your '06, I like the 150's as they shoot flat and drop moose w/one shot so far.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Big Al-

I already am into reloading. I load for most of my rifles but with the super common ones like 30/06 and 300 win mag I don't even bother, factory ammo is fairly cheap and covers a very broad range of bullet weights and styles, If I can't find one of them that shoots decent chances are either will the handloads. I don't really have enough room anymore to do my serious reloading, got all my stuff crated up in the shed. I only bust it out to load the special stuff, 9.3x62, 45/70+P, 338 RUM, and 35 whelen.

Default 165 in 30/05

I agree with you...Thebear_78. Some of the modern factory loads would be almost pointless to try to match if they shoots well in you 30/06....I reload for several cartridges...300Dakota, 330Dakota, 338Win, 30/06, 357/38spec, 44mag/spec, and 45/70. Since Federal came out with its HighEnergy 30/06 loads with 180gr partitions, I've drastically reduced the amount of 30/06 loading I do. They shoot about +/- 1" groups in both my 30/06's and have consistently higher velocities than my own loads. Likewise, I like Buffalo Bore's 44Spec (250gr hardcast@ 970fps in my little S&W M396) and BB's 45/70 (350gr@ 2150fps in my Win86EL). My primary handloading rounds are the Dakotas, particularly the 330Dak. I built that rifle as a handloading only proposition and enjoy experimenting with it. I'm probably going to reload more 45/70, since I seem to enjoy shooting my 86 too much to pay $2.25/round, and would like to check out Alaska Bullet Works Kodiak Bonded Bullets.

Anyway, 165 TSX's would do fine for moose. Go for it.

I can see both sides of the coin on this one however out of the nearly 40 different rounds I reload the 30-06 is towards the top of my favorites list because it always makes me look good. The 30-06 is a shooters round and to take advantage of this I can not understand why you would not reload for it even if factory ammo was cheaper(and it is not) Federal premium ammo is great stuff, but you can load 2 to 3 boxes with premium bullets for what one box cost plus you set it up for your rifle and it should outshoot it as well.
    Did not mean to get off track on your thread here so I will add that a freind of mine just got back from Africa and used the 30 cal TSX and it sailed right through every thing he shot with good authority. I do not recall what weight he was shooting however.

for the tops 2-3 boxes of shells I will put thru my 30/06 a year its a bunch cheaper to buy the shells. There are oodles of loads out there and I have had a very hard time beating federal premium loads with handloads. Got to figure in couple boxes of bullet, pound of powder, primers, dies and all the testing just to find the load I like best. Compared to $80 to just buy them outright.