Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat runs over another boat

Default Boat runs over another boat

This was crazy to watch... definitely shows the need to be aware and eyes open as the captain.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/38633614...-into-another/

it is all over facebook. Pretty scary. Good reason to wear a lifejacket. Not sure where bouy 10 in Oregon is but the water there is pretty cold also.

Bout 10 is at the mouth of the Columbia River

Not much time there to do anything if your in the Hewes but jump!
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Man, they are lucky to be alive. I’m glad they were watching and had time to bail out.

Crazy alright.... lawsuit for sure

CLATSOP COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
    A sport fisherman has filed a lawsuit over a boat crash near Hammond in August.

A sport fisherman has filed a lawsuit after being rammed in a harrowing boat crash on the Columbia River near Hammond in August.
    Bryan Maess is suing the alleged driver of the boat — Marlin Lee Larsen — for $372,500 after his boat was slammed while trolling for Chinook salmon during the popular Buoy 10 fishery season. The lawsuit claims Larsen caused physical and emotional injury in his negligence prior to the crash.Maess, Christopher McMahon and Roni Durham were standing in a 20-foot Weldcraft about 8:30 a.m. near Tansy Point when they noticed a 31-foot Bayliner Trophy speeding toward them. After yelling at the boat and waving their hands, the trio leaped into the river seconds before crash. The three were eventually pulled from the water and treated at Columbia Memorial Hospital for minor injuries. Their boat was severely damaged by the crash.The lawsuit alleges Larsen was traveling at an excessive speed, distracted from using his cellphone and did not have one of the two other occupants of the vessel keep watch of surrounding boat traffic.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/agWmkZYu31Q" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>Maess sustained injuries to the right side of his body. He continues to wear a knee brace on his knee, his ankle still hurts and a wound on his shin has not fully healed, according to the lawsuit. He initially experienced neck pain, vision issues, headaches and a hyperextended left thumb after floating with the debris from the wreck in water.The lawsuit also claims Maess, a 47-year-old sergeant with the Hermiston Police Department, suffered emotionally and financially after needing to take time off work.Larsen, 75, pleaded not guilty in September to three counts of fourth-degree assault, three counts of recklessly endangering another person and one reckless operation of a boat charge in connection with the case. An early resolution conference in the criminal case has been scheduled for later this month.Larsen, a Roseburg resident who owns the Harborview Resort in Hammond, could not be reached for comment Tuesday by The Daily Astorian. He told The Oregonian last week that allegations he was using his cellphone before the crash are “fake news.”A video of the incident — taken from a camera on the smaller boat — was shared on Facebook by Angling Oregon — a website operated by McMahon.• Watch the video: https://youtu.be/agWmkZYu31Q
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

"Clatsop County sheriff’s deputies accused boat driver Marlin Lee Larsen of several crimes after the 75-year-old told investigators he couldn’t see where he was driving because he was sitting down and the dash of his boat was blocking his view. Larsen said he probably should have been standing, according to the sheriff’s report"

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/01/chilling_video_fisherman_jumps.html

If you can't see where you are driving and you are driving at the speed this clown was driving you need to slow the F@(& down. If he indeed said what this article says he said to the police there is no case here as Mr. Larsen is 100% at fault due to his extreme negligence, he should sign a check for $372,500 and count himself luck it wasn't for more.

Larsen is lucky he didn't kill anybody, he would be in jail for criminally negligent homicide.
    "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Reminds me of the time we were all drifting through the Beaver Ck. hole for kings on the Kenai one early summer morning. We had just gone through the hole and were about ready to head back up for another drift when we heard..."hey.....Hey.....HEY...!!!" Everybody's heads in all the boats all turned toward the direction of the yelling going on just in time to see a skiff with the bow way up in the air, and an "older" gentleman at the tiller, run right up on the back of another boat drifting down through the hole but a little closer to shore. The two guys on the receiving end boat were knocked into the water instantly. They weren't hurt and close enough to shore to swim to it before anybody had a chance to go pick them up. As you can imagine, it was also a case where the old boy couldn't see what was in front of him because the bow was too high. I think I'll stop driving the boat if'n I ever get so old that I can't stand up to see where the hell I'm goin...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Very similar thing happened to me last fall in PWS...without the actual contact. I did, however, end up with a concussion, bottom row of teeth through my lower lip, fractured jaw and badly jacked hip flexor group. Came to face down sucking saltwater and polishing rocks with my hull. I'll never know if they even saw me...they sure as heck didn't stop.

I had a close call of a similar nature a couple of summers ago in PWS. Some clown in a fairly large cruiser was running like a bat out of hell in the fog and was coming right for me. Luckily I was watching my radar and changed course in time. Dont use the radar often but it sure paid for itself that trip.

Has nearly happened to us several times drifting down the west side of the Kenai River mouth while dip netting. Big honkin' jet boats that drift down on smaller skiffs and expect them to move.

My father did this in the Midwest on a lake a few years ago. Rainy and cold day, open skiff, big guy sitting in the bow seat of a lund. He ended up t boning another boat that was fishing. My dad is a fantastic equipment operator and over 30 years of farming we never had a nick or scratch despite lots of folks on the tractor forks, working off the ground with moving wagons, using lots of PTO driven stuff. He still cant say how he missed seeing that other boat. The other boat owner and his occupant ended up swimming but luckily unharmed. He was oddly understanding in the end and the insurance company took care of the rest.

With cell phones, rainy weather, lots of electronics to look at, etc. this is a good reminder of how fast it can happen and to take the helm seriously at all times.

We have our idiots up here also. They can be sport fishers, commercial, and guides but thank god they are in the minority.
    One spot we butt fish is on a point with miles of room to go around anchored boats to the north. But no certain boaters just have to cut between the anchored boats and the point on step. I just don't understand.
    Last year we had a seiner turn away from us at about 50-35 yards. My wife was ready to shoot a flare right at the boat, and she's the person in the family with the most tolerance and legal understanding of life in 2000.
    Unless its pristine sunny weather I run with my lights on. I give way to everyone especially if I see your boat hopping through the water like a rabbit on a date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HKYDDY View Post
    I had a close call of a similar nature a couple of summers ago in PWS. Some clown in a fairly large cruiser was running like a bat out of hell in the fog and was coming right for me. Luckily I was watching my radar and changed course in time. Dont use the radar often but it sure paid for itself that trip.
    We had a similar experience here. Fog bank moved in couldn't see crap, so lights on, horn beep every so often and started mooching. All of a sudden here come two boats hell bent for election to our stern! First boat cranks a hard port but no slow down, the boat on his ass slows down and does the same cut. I guess they thought their radar was like real time vision. We were speechless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a interesting experience in K bay a few years back, calm clear day and we were on the hook somewhere just east of the compass rose and I see this boat headed for us. There is no-one else around and this clown decides he has cruise right by us at WOT..... Plenty of time and ocean to change course. We were in a 20 foot riverboat, the ***hole was driving a 27 foot sea sport with a raised pilothouse and **** loud. Reminded me of a kid with a big bass unit in his trunk.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

We got a charter operator here that everyone has issues with, whole ocean is clear of boats and he has to cruise right past ya at speed, nothing to be within a boat length.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I had an encounter out of Valdez with a boater on a dense foggy morning. I was running along maybe 5 knots watching my radar and had folks outside the cabin on watch. My daughter yells at me she hears something coming, I check the radar to my rear and I have a boat closing fast. He missed us by less then 20 feet on full step. When I called him out on the radio he told me he was following his GPS and knew he was clear. I filed a report with USCG and after that I got a number salute every time he seen me.

Also had boats almost drift into us on anchor out of Homer a couple of times. One took us firing a shot to get their attention. They were super apologetic as they came by at handshake range.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    We got a charter operator here that everyone has issues with, whole ocean is clear of boats and he has to cruise right past ya at speed, nothing to be within a boat length.

That ain’t mr lucky hook charters is it?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    That ain’t mr lucky hook charters is it?
    Nope. won't divulge it online though, sure you understand.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

No that’s fine. Just wondered if it was my crazy friend Fred!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast