Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting cabin staking between McGrath and Stoney River

Supporting Member

Default Hunting cabin staking between McGrath and Stoney River

Ok, so I am going to stake a cabin in the Granite Mountain Cabin staking area. Anybody have a good way to get to the staking site? Should I fly in to McGrath or Stoney River and then fly to the site or rent a snowmachine? Wait till breakup and get a boat? Anyone played this rodeo before? Thanks!

Dang man your cleaning up the loose ends in this state!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Supporting Member

Well, I thought the boys could use a lesson in cabin building. Besides, good hunting!

Supporting Member

Ha ha, I was talking to him a while back because his lodge is for sale. Seems like the right way to go. Looks like he's got a great setup and a B&B to boot!

There is also Clark Engle's old place on Porkypile Strip.

Quote Originally Posted by northor View Post
    Anyone played this rodeo before? Thanks!
    Yep........Worked that country for many decades. Rick Halford staked what is now Stoney River Lodge, as a 15 acre Federal T&M site, in the early 70's. Back then that was Stan Frost (Farwell Lake Lodge) country. Rick owned the Susitna Lodge, that Denny Thompson and Tex Greathouse built in 1955-56, two years before the Denali Haul Road was built (1958-59) now call the Denali Highway. I could write a book about just that period and location in Alaska. Some of it was even legal. But that was a far different time.

Good hunting?! Half the forum is now looking st land staking out there. Figured youd have plenty of work to do on your new lodge instead.
    Master guide 212

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    There is also Clark Engle's old place on Porkypile Strip.
    I haven't heard about that one. Do you have a contact?

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Good hunting?! Half the forum is now looking st land staking out there. Figured youd have plenty of work to do on your new lodge instead.
    I love that area of Alaska, still wild. Where else in the world can you take your boys out and stake a claim, then build a cabin and own the land? Besides,
    i figure it will be short time staking, then next year fall and strip logs, then the next hunting season - hunt and build cabin.
    Always sounds easier if you say it fast.

Supporting Member

Well I have a few holes in my plans that could use fillin'!
    Do you think you could take a snowmachine from McGrath to the staking site which is about half way to Stoney river?

Supporting Member

Maybe I'm a moron - very likely- but I can't find anyone on the forum posting about staking land there. I used the search feature, but no dice. Is there somewhere else where they are talking about it, or is it a secret?

Well I have a few holes in my plans that could use fillin'!
    Do you think you could take a snowmachine from McGrath to the staking site which is about half way to Stoney river?
    I used to live in McGrath. You can take a snowmachine anywhere in the state from there if you want. But like other issues. $$$$$$ broke sled? Gas? Getting sled to McGrath?
    Master guide 212

Well.......Hmmmm.........OK, Most of those projects have quickly evolved into nightmares. Mostly because they attract thieves and low moral pond scum. Do a search of cabin thefts, and/or getting burned'out. Those projects attract delusional "Dreamers" with no money and no grasp of logistics. You might, but they will not. When you are gone they will move in and/or steal everything. It happens to varying degrees on all of those projects.

Maybe I'm a moron - very likely- but I can't find anyone on the forum posting about staking land there. I used the search feature, but no dice. Is there somewhere else where they are talking about it, or is it a secret?

Supporting Member

I can see your point and understand your cynicism. It would take a determined thief/arsonist to go all the way the proposed cabin in order to get some canned goods and ruin the cabin. There are no roads, only a river. I am not saying it won't happen, just that it won't benefit them much. I don't plan to leave anything valuable there. The real treasure for me would be the time with my boys building the cabin in the first place. Then just a place to hang my head when I go out there hunting or fishing in the future. Who knows, maybe one of them may want to do something more permanent in the future. I do plan on looking into satellite security though.

Supporting Member

I used to live in McGrath. You can take a snowmachine anywhere in the state from there if you want. But like other issues. $$$$$$ broke sled? Gas? Getting sled to McGrath?
    What about buying or renting a snow machine and taking that out to stake with? Bring it back and use it when needed? Same with a boat for the summer. Or should I just fly in during both seasons?

As been a lot of murders also at those projects. They just don't attract people with money or skills.

I can see your point and understand your cynicism. It would take a determined thief/arsonist to go all the way the proposed cabin in order to get some canned goods and ruin the cabin. There are no roads, only a river. I am not saying it won't happen, just that it won't benefit them much. I don't plan to leave anything valuable there. The real treasure for me would be the time with my boys building the cabin in the first place. Then just a place to hang my head when I go out there hunting or fishing in the future. Who knows, maybe one of them may want to do something more permanent in the future. I do plan on looking into satellite security though.

Not sure on rentals. That river gets a lot of overflow so be a bit carefull running it. Its a prop river not a jet river. Id be Leary though of a unknown sled committing to a trip down that ricer without having a buddy in town. That country gets COLD.
    Master guide 212

I haven't heard about that one. Do you have a contact?
    Clark Engle's Place, ie... -(Grand View Lodge)- Michael Litzen Hunts that area, but I don't think is using the Lodge, the current Owner is Kevin Creason, Houston, TX. Phone@ 281-794-6229 and the correct spelling for the Air Strip is, -[Purkeypile]-, after Irus Ward Purkeypile; circa>1883-1969, Fairbanks, AK.
    TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Right on, and good luck! I staked in 09 on the Kantishna remote drawing. Hands down, one of the best experiences I have ever done. It was and continues to be an excellent project for myself and both of my sons. They are just as invested in the cabin they helped build as I am.

I have yet to experience, meet or even see any of the negative possibilities expressed on this thread. On the contrary, I have met several new friends that also staked in the area and have had nothing but respect, gratitude and willingness to share knowledge.

The initial staking process seems daunting, do your research and be prepared to look at several sites. I spent about 10 days out on my staking trip, when I picked my spot it was a solid 3-4 days of work. So don't dawdle, it ain't a regular camping trip. You will work hard. Enjoy.

Supporting Member

Thanks! I definitely think some areas are more prone to vandalism/theft than others. Ease of access, demographics, and surrounding neighbors all play a big part. How did you research your cabin build?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast