Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting cabin staking between McGrath and Stoney River

McGrath is a wet village. Three bars, we used to have boats from down river come up with barrels of fuel on board. Load their boats with booze and just float home. Most the villages down river are dry villages so they would go to any length to get their fix!
    Found a drunk guy upriver about ten miles from town once while we were trapping bears, his buddy dropped him off three days earlier and went into town for more booze. Lol the dude didnít want a ride back to town and had zero gear. He just laid there on the moss....far as I know heís still there. That was 20 years ago!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    McGrath is a wet village. Three bars, we used to have boats from down river come up with barrels of fuel on board. Load their boats with booze and just float home. Most the villages down river are dry villages so they would go to any length to get their fix!
    Found a drunk guy upriver about ten miles from town once while we were trapping bears, his buddy dropped him off three days earlier and went into town for more booze. Lol the dude didnít want a ride back to town and had zero gear. He just laid there on the moss....far as I know heís still there. That was 20 years ago!!
    I remember an old bartender there that all he would do was tell jokes all day. Pretty cool guy.

You gotta have a sense of humor if your the only sober guy in town!
    Master guide 212

Banned

How long does it take to drive there from Anchorage? Sounds like fun, especially for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by ol whatshisface View Post
    How long does it take to drive there from Anchorage? Sounds like fun, especially for hunting.
    About 12 hours the last time I made the run. Get off I-2 at Nenana and take the Tanana exit all the way to Galena. Take lots of change for the toll booths at McGrath and Stoney River. Don't pass up the Dennys at Nulato.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Once you hit galena youíve gone to far. Take the roundabout after tanana and that will get you onto kuskokwim dr. Take that south west till you see the old cabin that smells like pot. Thatís McGrath.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by northor View Post
    Thanks! I definitely think some areas are more prone to vandalism/theft than others. Ease of access, demographics, and surrounding neighbors all play a big part. How did you research your cabin build?

Mostly I spent a lot of time poring over the maps in the staking packet and satellite images. You really need to pick the top three choices before you go and be prepared to change plans when you get there. Things usually look quite different when you get boots on the ground. The place I chose wasn't even on my initial list of spots. I ruled out my top three that I had in mind when I got a chance to look at them. They either had silt lines on the trees six feet in the air or river access issues. I remember, my first choice was on an oxbow off the river. I ruled it out quickly when I got out there and had first hand experience with getting stuff from the boat and to the oxbow, then across to my "ideal" spot. To much of a logistical hurdle.

Once you hit galena youíve gone to far. Take the roundabout after tanana and that will get you onto kuskokwim dr. Take that south west till you see the old cabin that smells like pot. Thatís McGrath.
    That roundabout at Tanana is worse than the one at New Seward and Dowling.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Ya but Itís sure better than that blind 4-way stop in downtown nulato.
    Master guide 212

Supporting Member

I hear tell that they just finished the Uzenhuber tunnel which cuts the drive time to 20 minutes!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    Mostly I spent a lot of time poring over the maps in the staking packet and satellite images. You really need to pick the top three choices before you go and be prepared to change plans when you get there. Things usually look quite different when you get boots on the ground. The place I chose wasn't even on my initial list of spots. I ruled out my top three that I had in mind when I got a chance to look at them. They either had silt lines on the trees six feet in the air or river access issues. I remember, my first choice was on an oxbow off the river. I ruled it out quickly when I got out there and had first hand experience with getting stuff from the boat and to the oxbow, then across to my "ideal" spot. To much of a logistical hurdle.
    I think that's about where we are now. We have several possible spots picked out. Think we will wait till breakup and go in with a boat like we would during hunting season. That would let us know better where our access issues lie and would be easier to actually stake.

Supporting Member

Not sure on rentals. That river gets a lot of overflow so be a bit carefull running it. Itís a prop river not a jet river. Iíd be Leary though of a unknown sled committing to a trip down that ricer without having a buddy in town. That country gets COLD.
    We're in agreement there!

I usually check into the Best Western there, then head down to the Outback for a steak and a beer.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Man that sounds like a great road trip... I called AAA for a trip package and reservations. Was trying to get the guy to stop laughing long enough to take my credit card information. Welp... sounds like I should be able to get the information and directions right here.

Honk if you see my rig passing through... love me some fried chicken, any KY Fried Chicken on the way?

Banned

How is the weather there? How many cabins? How many people can it host? Why do you have so many stalkers?
    How many animals can one harvest? Do we need to worry about ISIS or any Nicoraugen overthrow for opium control?

Quote Originally Posted by ol whatshisface View Post
    How is the weather there? How many cabins? How many people can it host? Why do you have so many stalkers?
    How many animals can one harvest? Do we need to worry about ISIS or any Nicoraugen overthrow for opium control?
    Fine. Too many. Not enough. Who knows. Sky's the limit. Yes/Maybe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12