Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Innoko Boat Accessibility

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default Innoko Boat Accessibility

    Just wondering if anyone might have information on accessibility and potential boat limitations on the Innoko downriver from Ophir? Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskahunt2020 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone might have information on accessibility and potential boat limitations on the Innoko downriver from Ophir? Thanks for the help!
    Where are you wanting to start from? If I’m not mistaken the only location on the innoko to get gas is Shageluk. I believe I’m order to access the innoko from Ophir you have a decent size portage. But it’s been a few years since I’ve been there.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default

    At the risk of sounding like I don't know what the heck I am talking about...it appears that the river can be accessed from a few locations near the landing strip in Ophir. At that point, it looks like a shallow running boat can travel quite a distance downstream. Maybe even as far as the north fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Where are you wanting to start from? If I’m not mistaken the only location on the innoko to get gas is Shageluk. I believe I’m order to access the innoko from Ophir you have a decent size portage. But it’s been a few years since I’ve been there.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    All-I-SAW, AK.
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    I have heard that there are a couple of hunting guide outfits up there. And a few "locals" cabins as well.
    Between Ophir and Shag, there is a lot of river and not much else in between.. Are you thinking of flying in way up high with an inflatable/small motor and floating down? Or are you wanting to land in Shag and boat up as far as Ophir? To go that far up, heII, even 1/2 way there from Shag, would take A LOT of fuel.
    Do you have any "connections" in Shag? If not, could make logistics a little tough... Also, the airport is like 3 miles north of the village.
    A pretty good walk carrying fuel jugs without a ride.
    Lots of native lands, especially down lower towards Shag. Not sure about way up that far tho.
    FYI: Starting this 2018 season there's a new Shageluk "enforcement" boat to patrol the river as well (I was in Fairbanks at the Boat shop when they rolled it out, I seen it..), so possibly expect some company in that regard...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,011

    Default

    Nothing lots and lots of $$$$$ can't over come. Just to get in and out of a hunting camp on that river is around $7,000 that is for hauling in fuel, food, and meat out.

  6. #6
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    9,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Nothing lots and lots of $$$$$ can't over come. Just to get in and out of a hunting camp on that river is around $7,000 that is for hauling in fuel, food, and meat out.


    Yup. What he said. Throw enough money at it and it’ll work out.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  7. #7
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Fly in get dropped off and float out is your best option.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  8. #8
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    .
    FYI: Starting this 2018 season there's a new Shageluk "enforcement" boat to patrol the river as well (I was in Fairbanks at the Boat shop when they rolled it out, I seen it..), so possibly expect some company in that regard...
    Yeah, saw that as well, wondering what that is all about....?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    All-I-SAW, AK.
    Posts
    1,183

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Yeah, saw that as well, wondering what that is all about....?
    I've heard from sources who are in kahoots with the goings-on's out there, but since I cannot offer out hard evidence, and this being the interwebnet, I'll just say that I have "my theories"...
    Do your own research too confirm...
    1) too assist with the bison research and implementation project out of Shag. Which, BTW, is doing great!!
    2) patrol non-native folks that have been trespassing on their lands and killing moose around sacred areas, i.e.:Holikichuck Slough burial grounds.
    3) patrol the hunters using the "drop off" outfit(s) outta Holy Cross. They're hitting every river within 5hrs of HC and dropping folks off. From Anvik, HC, and over too Shag.
    If they keep finding meaty moose carcasses and quarters of meat in the local dump in HC from folks who don't want too pay too bring it home or give it away, then hell's gonna pay for everybody out there. So I guess that they'll be "policing" if you will too keep folks honest and possibly not having wanton waste issues..
    Not sure if it's a VPSO thing or tribal officer or what, or exactly what kind of "authority" said person(s) will have.
    If there are more possible reasons, I'm unaware of them at this time.
    I'll be out there this fall chasing moose, if I run into them, I'll report back...

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Agreed, Shageluk to Ophir has to be almost 500 miles. I am very unfamiliar with the area, so I apologize if this is a foolish question, but isn't it possible to get to Ophir by road from the SE (Takotna/Mcgrath area)?


    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I have heard that there are a couple of hunting guide outfits up there. And a few "locals" cabins as well.
    Between Ophir and Shag, there is a lot of river and not much else in between.. Are you thinking of flying in way up high with an inflatable/small motor and floating down? Or are you wanting to land in Shag and boat up as far as Ophir? To go that far up, heII, even 1/2 way there from Shag, would take A LOT of fuel.
    Do you have any "connections" in Shag? If not, could make logistics a little tough... Also, the airport is like 3 miles north of the village.
    A pretty good walk carrying fuel jugs without a ride.
    Lots of native lands, especially down lower towards Shag. Not sure about way up that far tho.
    FYI: Starting this 2018 season there's a new Shageluk "enforcement" boat to patrol the river as well (I was in Fairbanks at the Boat shop when they rolled it out, I seen it..), so possibly expect some company in that regard...

  11. #11
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    9,434

    Default

    From sterling landing. Not McGrath. But frommtakotna you can. Unless something has changed. Rode bikes from sterling landing to Ophir before when I was in high school. I remember the river my the “loader from
    Ophirs” cabin. Don’t recal it being very big.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  12. #12
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I've heard from sources who are in kahoots with the goings-on's out there, but since I cannot offer out hard evidence, and this being the interwebnet, I'll just say that I have "my theories"...
    Do your own research too confirm...
    1) too assist with the bison research and implementation project out of Shag. Which, BTW, is doing great!!
    2) patrol non-native folks that have been trespassing on their lands and killing moose around sacred areas, i.e.:Holikichuck Slough burial grounds.
    3) patrol the hunters using the "drop off" outfit(s) outta Holy Cross. They're hitting every river within 5hrs of HC and dropping folks off. From Anvik, HC, and over too Shag.
    If they keep finding meaty moose carcasses and quarters of meat in the local dump in HC from folks who don't want too pay too bring it home or give it away, then hell's gonna pay for everybody out there. So I guess that they'll be "policing" if you will too keep folks honest and possibly not having wanton waste issues..
    Not sure if it's a VPSO thing or tribal officer or what, or exactly what kind of "authority" said person(s) will have.
    If there are more possible reasons, I'm unaware of them at this time.
    I'll be out there this fall chasing moose, if I run into them, I'll report back...
    I figured it might have something to do with the bison, that is a huge success, I have friend that worked on that project, now retired.. It was quite the effort to make it happen.

    Hopefully this herd and the Farewell herd dont mingle, given time thats unlikley.

    Where abouts are the burial grounds on the slough located? I know the maps call it Holikachuck, I have it heard it referred to as Yukon slough.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    All-I-SAW, AK.
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Where abouts are the burial grounds on the slough located? I know the maps call it Holikachuck, I have it heard it referred to as Yukon slough.
    I should've took a pic of that boat while it was in Fbnks. I swear it said "Shageluk Tribal Enforcement" or something too that effect on the side of it.
    It's a nice rear cabin 22' Alweld with a propped Yammy 150 on it.

    I'm not exactly certain on the location of the grounds, but they're there. I believe that it's closer too the Innoko than it is the Yukon. But every year some of the Shag locals come up, hang out for a bit, and talk with our moose camp. Have built a fairly decent rapport with many of them. While back in Shag or out at camp, they've talked about it many times and ask not to go there. Some "outsiders" have been confronted and ran off by them and mystery gut-piles have been found there as well. The camp just avoids the slough if at all possible (other then for travel purposes) so it doesn't cause problems. They know our boats, motors, and some of the guys. We respect their request.
    If cruising through and you bust a predator, a blind eye is thrown, but no moose hunting.

  14. #14

    Default

    I grew up in Holikachuk. My brother is buried in the village cemetery there. There are other burial grounds as well. The Holikachuk people moved to Grayling in the 60s. Many of them have Native Allotments along the Innoko. Those are i holdings the in the Innoko Wildlife Preserve
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

  15. #15
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    I grew up in Holikachuk. My brother is buried in the village cemetery there. There are other burial grounds as well. The Holikachuk people moved to Grayling in the 60s. Many of them have Native Allotments along the Innoko. Those are i holdings the in the Innoko Wildlife Preserve
    Martyv, very cool pic of the bison in front of the Grayling sign....!
    We stopped at Holikachuk and walked around, I hope we didn't trespass by doing so. I didnt recall any signs. Rumor has it that Holikachuk is haunted.....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  16. #16
    Member jojomoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I should've took a pic of that boat while it was in Fbnks. I swear it said "Shageluk Tribal Enforcement" or something too that effect on the side of it.
    It's a nice rear cabin 22' Alweld with a propped Yammy 150 on it.

    I'm not exactly certain on the location of the grounds, but they're there. I believe that it's closer too the Innoko than it is the Yukon. But every year some of the Shag locals come up, hang out for a bit, and talk with our moose camp. Have built a fairly decent rapport with many of them. While back in Shag or out at camp, they've talked about it many times and ask not to go there. Some "outsiders" have been confronted and ran off by them and mystery gut-piles have been found there as well. The camp just avoids the slough if at all possible (other then for travel purposes) so it doesn't cause problems. They know our boats, motors, and some of the guys. We respect their request.
    If cruising through and you bust a predator, a blind eye is thrown, but no moose hunting.
    Please call or text me about shageluk. My privat email isn’t working on here. 3062037

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    89

    Default

    "Shageluk Tribal Police." It's an Alweld 2470V with 150 Yamaha prop.
    Attachment 96161

    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I should've took a pic of that boat while it was in Fbnks. I swear it said "Shageluk Tribal Enforcement" or something too that effect on the side of it.
    It's a nice rear cabin 22' Alweld with a propped Yammy 150 on it.

    I'm not exactly certain on the location of the grounds, but they're there. I believe that it's closer too the Innoko than it is the Yukon. But every year some of the Shag locals come up, hang out for a bit, and talk with our moose camp. Have built a fairly decent rapport with many of them. While back in Shag or out at camp, they've talked about it many times and ask not to go there. Some "outsiders" have been confronted and ran off by them and mystery gut-piles have been found there as well. The camp just avoids the slough if at all possible (other then for travel purposes) so it doesn't cause problems. They know our boats, motors, and some of the guys. We respect their request.
    If cruising through and you bust a predator, a blind eye is thrown, but no moose hunting.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •