Thread: Ballistol? For patch lube.

Default Ballistol? For patch lube.

Howdy round-ball-shooters.

One of the many recipes round ball shooters use for patch lube is a dry patch method and the use of a product called Ballistol.

I can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know where I can get Ballistol here in Alaska? I live in Wasilla.

What other recipes for patch lube might you other pumpkin chuckers be using? Thanks!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

I'm on the road and don't have the formula with me, but it's dip the patch material something like 1 part Ballistol to 7 parts water, then let them dry completely before carrying and using. I might be off on the 1:7 ratio, but the procedure is right. I tried it and didn't particularly like it because crud buildup is real fast, so you need to swab between shots with a damp cleaning patch. Certainly accurate and a fine procedure for range shooting, but I do lots of field shooting and got pretty sick of swabbing every single time. Gets to be a problem in really cold weather doing all that wet swabbing, too.

You have to get Ballistol online. Stinks bad. I think I got mine from Track of the Wolf. But I also tried Track's Mink Oil Tallow. Been using it ever since. No swabbing between shots, no fiddling around lubing patches ahead of time, accurate as can be, and cheap. I might not win any matches cuzz my groups are 1/10" larger than with Ballistol, but I'm not shooting matches.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

You can get Ballistol at Great Northern Guns off of tudor. It seems I've seen it somewhere else too but can't remember. Great Northern Guns is where I get my black powder too.

When I got started in Muzzleloading a couple of years ago I tried Bore Butter but got frustrated with the stuff turning into a brick when it was even moderately cold. I followed BrownBear's advice and tried the mink oil tallow and don't see any need to use anything else. It smears onto patches just fine regardless of the temperature.
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    You can get Ballistol at Great Northern Guns off of tudor. It seems I've seen it somewhere else too but can't remember. Great Northern Guns is where I get my black powder too.
    Thank you, Kobuk for the info on where to get Ballistol. Much appreciated!

Thank you too to Louis and BrownBear on what you use.

BrownBear the ratio is 1:7 on the Ballistol, I think. I just got Dutch Schoutze's recipe.

I agree about shooting in cold AK conditions and much appreciate your advice on the cold wx shooting you do with TOW mink oil tallow. I will look it up on their website.

Hope to go to ANC this week if the wx is good and will check on GNG first by phone on Ballistol.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond.

I hope to do some BP shooting outdoors this week and at the indoor range next Saturday at a monthly BP target shoot. I'm working on a target load with 3 patch thicknesses and some new lube choices...now that I have time to do so.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Oh man, now you've got me itching to go do some shooting! Where is the indoor range that allows BP? I wish we had something like that here.
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Oh man, now you've got me itching to go do some shooting! Where is the indoor range that allows BP? I wish we had something like that here.
    Check at the range in Fairbanks on College Road it is run by ADF&G.

Check at the Tanana Valley Sportsmans Club Fairbanks range off Airport Rd. kind of Kitty Corner across from Freds. See if they will let BP shooters in there or at both places.

I usually shot outdoors in Fairbanks at the end of Cushman Rd Range when it was warm enough.

In Palmer I shoot at the Matanuska Valley Sportsmans Club Range here where I now live.

Go shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    I'm working on a target load with 3 patch thicknesses and some new lube choices...now that I have time to do so.
    Therein lies happiness! Only way I know to wring the most out of a gun, and the results are worth the effort.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard